Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Outdoors > HANDGUNS Forum

HANDGUNS Forum Discussions for Target, Defensive, Concealed Carry handguns & holsters

Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough
Default IL Supreme Court protects Non-Resident gun transport.

Most people think ILLINOIS is totally hostile to gun ownership, the fact is that Chicago is totally hostile but the rest of the state is pretty reasonable.

The IL Supreme Court just confirmed that out of state residents can transport into/through/about Illinois if they follow the simple rules that Illinois spells out. The court simply ruled what is actually stated on a couple different IL.gov websites! Too bad the anti-gun prosecutors even tried to prosecute this guy.
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...-guns-20110407
Quote:
Illinois Court Allows Nonresidents to Transport Guns
Updated: Thursday, 07 Apr 2011, 7:57 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Apr 2011, 7:39 PM CDT

Associated Press

Springfield, Ill. - The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IL Supreme Court protects Non-Resident gun transport.

Here is the actual IL Supreme Court document => http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...ril/109130.pdf

- Ayn Rand
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Glink is on a distinguished road

So you going to drop your unloaded piece in the center console and head over for pizza?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glink View Post
So you going to drop your unloaded piece in the center console and head over for pizza?
I actually do that EVERY FREAKING DAY during the work week. I have been traveling into IL with a gun (or 2) in my car for the past 2 years under the Illinois law. Its just really nice to see the IL Supreme Court actually rule on this, because now there is no question as to the legality of it and how to enforce it.

- Ayn Rand
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
I actually do that EVERY FREAKING DAY during the work week. I have been traveling into IL with a gun (or 2) in my car for the past 2 years under the Illinois law. Its just really nice to see the IL Supreme Court actually rule on this, because now there is no question as to the legality of it and how to enforce it.
You put it in the center console, really? I travel across Illinois frequently; I had been putting the weopon and the ammo in a locked box in the trunk per the FOPA.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Actually I have a small box that I use and toss it in that, it sits under my seat. But on days when I have taken the box out I have used the glove compartment and the armrest.

Illinois law is pretty clear. Sadly the local police do not always know the Illinois laws!!!

The Illinois laws are far easier to transport under the the Federal laws. In fact the Federal transport laws ONLY protect you if you are going through the state, or to a specific destination under certain circumstances. They offer LESS protection than the Illinois law.

- Ayn Rand
Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The Illinois laws are far easier to transport under the the Federal laws. In fact the Federal transport laws ONLY protect you if you are going through the state, or to a specific destination under certain circumstances. They offer LESS protection than the Illinois law.
Not so sure I agree with that. At least that is not what it says. Here is the wording.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Now admittedly that may not keep you from getting arrested. But it will probably provide an effective defense, albeit an expensive one.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

You will notice that under the FEDERAL law the gun and ammo must be in the trunk or rear cargo area.

Under ILLINOIS law the gun and ammo can both be in the passenger area.

Under FEDERAL law the magazine of a handgun must be EMPTY and the ammo stored in a SEPARATE + LOCKED container.

Under the ILLINOIS law the magazine can remain LOADED and can be stored in the SAME container.

- Ayn Rand
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
You will notice that under the FEDERAL law the gun and ammo must be in the trunk or rear cargo area.

Under ILLINOIS law the gun and ammo can both be in the passenger area.

Under FEDERAL law the magazine of a handgun must be EMPTY and the ammo stored in a SEPARATE + LOCKED container.

Under the ILLINOIS law the magazine can remain LOADED and can be stored in the SAME container.
I must have confused convenience versus protection.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Klaatu barada nikto

DaveNay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glink View Post
I must have confused convenience versus protection.
No, you confused Illinois with a place someone would want to live.

Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.
Napoleon Bonaparte

If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which He has inflicted upon men, He would kill Himself.
Alexandre Dumas