• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Rust Issues

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve owned three Tucker Sno-Cats and they are all from the same vintage (1979 and 1980). Tuckers are pretty popular and many first time buyers may not be aware of what may be lurking below the surface. There isn’t that much information out there about used Sno-Cats, so it can be easy to buy something that requires a whole lot more time and money to get right than what you thought.

This problem is compounded because many times (if not most) Sno-Cats are bought long distance; often just based on a few photos taken by the seller.

This is an attempt to provide some information as to what to look for in terms of rust issues.

Back then Tucker used raw steel square tubing for the frames and raw steel sheet metal for most of the cab. They used aluminum for the roof, the door skins, the hood and the floor panels. When they built the machines they would weld everything together and at that point they would then prime and paint the Sno-Cat. Anything that was assembled and couldn’t be painted wasn’t, and they used very little seam sealer in the joints. I have not found any attempt by the factory to mitigate rust issues.

The aluminum roof panel and door skins were riveted to their steel frames. Floor panels were typically attached with screws. Here again there are problems. If dissimilar metals are in direct contact with each other galvanic corrosion occurs.

The resulting structure was a magnet for rust. When (not “if") moisture got between frame and skin; rust started.

The “good” news is that almost all of the framework and skin is fairly easily replicated. Frame members can be cut out and replaced, Skin can similarly be cut out and used as a template to create new panels.

The vast majority of my Sno-Cat projects are done with my good friend Scott. He’s the brains and the talent. I’m the one with the bonehead ideas.

We’re now in the process of rebuilding the Tucker I’m going to keep and that has involved completely rebuilding the steel cab, both the framework and the sheet metal.

When we started we didn’t realize it was this bad. It’s one of those situations where you find something that needs attention and it just snowballs from there. In all honesty we are very “picky” guys and what many would consider to be okay we don’t.

All eight door posts, the rear cab frame and roll bar, the center cab frame and roll bar, both left and right upper door longitudinal header frames, both kick panels, the center cab roll bar/door post skin and the rear skin that wraps around. It’s a considerable amount of work.

I’ve taken some photos, which show the rust.

Attachments

• phpuvBViQPM.jpg
    phpuvBViQPM.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 376
  • php92PI3qPM.jpg
    php92PI3qPM.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 379
  • phpcyW5jXPM.jpg
    phpcyW5jXPM.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 368
  • phplnHVzsPM.jpg
    phplnHVzsPM.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 369
  • phpTqiUOKPM.jpg
    phpTqiUOKPM.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 376
  • phpNALiomPM.jpg
    phpNALiomPM.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 370
  • phpq5b4ZePM.jpg
    phpq5b4ZePM.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 370
  • php1Rc0EPPM.jpg
    php1Rc0EPPM.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 367
  • phpFR3NKIPM.jpg
    phpFR3NKIPM.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not good at posting photos and wish I could have sequenced the pictures differently and added comments where appropriate.

Photos one and two (top left and right) are of a repair panel installed by a previous owner. It was 12 gauge steel, and like Tucker, no surface preparation prior to riveting it to the outside of the rear cab frame. It rusted where there was no primer or paint!

Photos three, four and five show the removed rear cab frame. You can see the level of deep rust pitting. The small rivet holes are from the repair panel I mentioned above. Tucker skip welds the rear panel to the frame.

Photos six and nine are of the left front longitudinal door header frame and show the galvanic corrosion I mentioned. The rivet holes you see are where the roof is riveted to this frame member.

Photo seven is the skin which covers the cab center frame which consists of the center roll bar and the rear door post from the front door and front door post from the rear door. This panel should be flat but there was so much rust it caused the sheet metal to bow out.

Photo eight shows the right front door front door post and kick panel.

So how does one upload photos and make comments in appropriate spots? Everyone else has figured this out!

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
OMG...that is like some serious corrosion...Where did that cat come from...pacific northwest...the Thiokols with aluminum skin and steel frame show very little corrosion...it appears they came from the factory with a good primer and additional sealing for leakage

weatherby

OMG...that is like some serious corrosion...Where did that cat come from...pacific northwest...the Thiokols with aluminum skin and steel frame show very little corrosion...it appears they came from the factory with a good primer and additional sealing for leakage

The biggest reason you see very little rust & corrosion on a Thiokol, is because Thiokol used a primer on all of the bare metal before they were assembled, Tucker did not. As BlackFoot explains, Tucker used no primer before assembling and did all there painting after the cat was assembled.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Where did that cat come from...pacific northwest...

Good call Doc! It came from southern BC.

The thing is it really didn't look bad at all... There were some areas that hinted at the underlying issues, but that's about it. There were not large areas of rusted through sheet metal when I got it.

The frustrating part to me is how all of this was preventable with just a little effort on Tuckers part. (I understand they've improved their manufacturing processes since.)

Making the repairs has involved removing the roof, all four doors, the windshield and rear glass, the interior and the bed to gain access.

But it's a fun project and (mostly) keeps Scott and I out of trouble...