Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Outdoors > 65Grendel Forum

65Grendel Forum Discussion forum on the 6.5 Grendel

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Shooter_G22 is on a distinguished road
Default 6.5 Grendel / 6.5 Sporter

I recently built a "Model 1 Sales" 6.5 sporter 20" w/ free float tube on a AA striped lower... bought the complete kit package and shot it in with Hornady Match 23gr A-Max... i did the shot n clean.. with brass brush and brass jag and patch useing a proshot coated rod and CLP...

during the break in about shot 3-7 even with the cleaning in between all shots inside of a dime but i continued to shoot and clean for 11 and then shot my 3 shot groups with out cleaning in between... all groups were about 1 1/2 moa... went back on a second vist to the range and shot another twelve 6 shot groups at about 1 1/2 to 2" groups @ 100???

what is going on here have i done something wrong or is this the accuracy to be expected from this Model 1 Sales kit???? i like M1Sales i dont want to hear about he said she said i'm wondering if there is anybody out there that has a 6.5 sporter from model one and what type of accuracy they are getting???? any insight on this 6.5 sporter will be appreciated...
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM

Default Re: 6.5 Grendel / 6.5 Sporter

is the 6.5 sporter from Model 1 SALES capable of being an accurate rifle... i shoot all my 308 bolt guns and handload and get .3's all day long at a 100 yds with my match loads... and with hornady match factory i uselly get .5 -.75 all day... i thought a 6.5 grendel should be capable of shooting atleas 1" moa... with hornady match...
is this 6.5 sporter just not an accurate package????? im sick over the thought of spending money on a kit that will not produce accuracy... please anyt advise here will be apreciated...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter_G22 View Post
is the 6.5 sporter from Model 1 SALES capable of being an accurate rifle... i shoot all my 308 bolt guns and handload and get .3's all day long at a 100 yds with my match loads... and with hornady match factory i uselly get .5 -.75 all day... i thought a 6.5 grendel should be capable of shooting atleas 1" moa... with hornady match...
is this 6.5 sporter just not an accurate package????? im sick over the thought of spending money on a kit that will not produce accuracy... please anyt advise here will be apreciated...
For accuracy work I would stay away from the Model 1 Sales products. I've had several M1S uppers and still own 2 or 3 of them. I know I have a 16" and an 11.5" barreled upper, both carbine type configurations. They have a decent low priced product, one that I've found to be reliable. But honestly I've never even considered "accuracy" and "M1S" in the same sentence.

FWIW, I'm able to shoot .45MOA with my 6.5 Grendel at 200 yards.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM

hm2 clark is on a distinguished road

I shoot a couple of Grendel uppers (14 and 18 inch), but not Model 1's. I expect 1/2-3/4 inch groups with handloads...... And I too have heard that Modlel 1's shoot > 1 moa.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

i have been doing a little tunning with the 6.5 sporter... just polishing out the BCG rails and smoothing thing out... changed the M1S triger for a stock blackthorn trigger that i have tunned to a nice light and crisp trigger with no slop... and i have polished anything and everything i could think to help... and i even went as far as to put in an accuwedge... but i noteced that the gas tube is a little lose fitting... i mean it jiggles around in the upper is this normal or is this anything to be concerned with??? would this be the reason for the in accurarcy??? i dont have a barrle wrench or i would have taking this thing a part to see what is going on in there...
is there anything else that i could do to get this rifle shooting accurate
Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough

I would dump the Blackthorn trigger, that company has a reputation as being one of the worst of the worst. Personally I've used a couple Blackthorn uppers and not had problems with them, but my personal experiences may be unusual based on internet chatter about the brand. Drop in a "Timney" or similar modular trigger and your groups will go down automatically, I know mine did.

As for the gas tube being loose, it should not be, but I doubt that throws off your accuracy, it may have something to do with the functioning/reliability over the long term but not so much for accuracy. That said, it may be contributing to some of your accuracy issues, I just don't see it as an accuracy destroyer.

Accuracy is going to be dependent upon the quality of the barrel and the trigger.

Model 1 Sales uses stock ER Shaw barrels, or at least they used to. ER Shaw makes fine barrels, but they make various grades. Since you got good groups with your first shots I suspect your barrel is not the real problem. Look at the fire control group and dump the Blackthorn parts. If you don't want to go with something like Timney then I'd be looking at the Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger units.

- Ayn Rand
Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 AM

Wink Re: 6.5 Grendel / 6.5 Sporter

i have heard that the blackthorn company has a bad rep... but i have built a few of there rifles and i see why... i dont think there parts kit should be listed as a parts kit as so much as a "builders kit" meaning some of there parts need to be hand fitted and or tweaked just a little bit... soo i think most of the internet bashing is done by average joe's that want to assemble a rifle but are not qualified to have to hand fit or tweak... but at the price that blackthorn offers there kits its not bad, i think they should call it a gunsmith speacil... by no means am i a gun smith but i have a little experience above the average joe... i have found that the blackthorn trigger is fairly a descent making of a good trigger if you have some hard arkansas gun smith stones and are knowledgable of what to stone and polish and how to polish and bend the springs to get a really fair trigger... i am able to get about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 pound pull with no creep to where it feels like a single stage trigger... i also have 8yrs US Marine Corps (Expert) rifleman experience behind a M16A2 trigger so a tunned up blackthorn trigger is like heaven in camparasin...
i do have to get a better mount sytem for the scope that i have on the 6.5 the scope is a Springfield Govt model 4-16-50 first gen with a buble level on the inside but i have the cheapest set of rings i could find... sooo i need to get better rings... and i was thinking of even trying to glass bed around the area that the accuwedge would be... to see if this helps...

i will have a better evaluation after this weekend i am planing on picking up some warne steel rings and getting out to the range agian...
we shall see i am thinking that there was alot of factors that woould have contributed to the inaccuaracy of this rifle soo i have been trying to eliminate them and get a better evaluation... i also want to pick up a barrel wrench and see whats going on with the gas tube i just dont like the fact its loose like that makes me feel like there might be something there maby the torking of the barrel is off???? who knows??? hopefully i will get this thing shooting...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM

cevaughan is on a distinguished road

First post here just joined looking for grendel types. On your sporter, Not that shorter barrels can't be accurate they can. It's the 3 things you have to, have to, have to start with. 1. Match grade barrels. AA/Grendel paid close attention to what barrels he used. You should also. I've shot NRA high power and long range for a lot of years to qualify what I'm saying. I burnt through a few barrels to mantain the accuracy level your trying to achieve. I'm with you there. I dont want a barrel that can't produce at least .5 moa at 100yds. 2. Every barrel is different, period. You may be able to shoot your last load with a barrel change but I have found that each has it's own personallity and needs a little tweeking or a different load that shoots better. M1S are good people and I have bought many a part from them and will in the future. But as was stated accuracy is not there aim. Volume of sale is. Ask what barrels they use. Most off the shelf prodcutions models can only produce 1 to 2 MOA at 100yds. Your lucky to find a shooter off the shelf. 3. A good trigger after load consideration and you done. After that the rest is fluff. 1. Barrel 2. load 3. trigger. Just make sure the first step is right. Satern barrels, Krieger, and so on, these guys started their buiness in the pursuit of accuracy and they are and were shooters themselves. Only my opion and we all know how stinky they can get. You'll find there's a thousand ways to Rome in this game just the same as others. By the way 123gr I found to be the best for my 28" LW and from what I've read over the last couple of years I think you find the general opion or go to bullet is the 123gr. Alot of high power shooter use them for 260 rem and 6.5/284 shorter range and even out to the thousand line. Thats partially the reason they're hard to find sometimes.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Haven't seen a whole lot of "For Sale" here so thought I would post on this thread.

6.5 Bullets for sale:

200 130gr,moly diamond line necco coat Norma
100 140gr Sierra MK HPBT.
200 140gr VLD Match grade BC .595 Berger
500 130gr Golden Target HPBT

225.00 for the whole lot. would prefer to to sell together. I'll throw in some extras from used boxes also 30 or 40 more rounds. I also have brass that is resized 7.62 various head stamps and lapua and AA brass and some loaded ammo I want to sell. Don't want this to get into a sell a thon here, so contact me via email and I draw out the rest. I'm also selling my 28' custom built upper, beef'd up upper walter lothar (sp) barrel, LMT bolt.
Contact me via email please I'll get responses on my Iphone so I should responsed quickly.

My email contact is: cevaughan@comcast.net
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Alibi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter_G22 View Post
I recently built a "Model 1 Sales" 6.5 sporter 20" w/ free float tube on a AA striped lower... bought the complete kit package and shot it in with Hornady Match 23gr A-Max... i did the shot n clean.. with brass brush and brass jag and patch useing a proshot coated rod and CLP...

during the break in about shot 3-7 even with the cleaning in between all shots inside of a dime but i continued to shoot and clean for 11 and then shot my 3 shot groups with out cleaning in between... all groups were about 1 1/2 moa... went back on a second vist to the range and shot another twelve 6 shot groups at about 1 1/2 to 2" groups @ 100???

what is going on here have i done something wrong or is this the accuracy to be expected from this Model 1 Sales kit???? i like M1Sales i dont want to hear about he said she said i'm wondering if there is anybody out there that has a 6.5 sporter from model one and what type of accuracy they are getting???? any insight on this 6.5 sporter will be appreciated...
Yes... I too purchased a "Model 1 Sales" 6.5 sporter 20" w/ free float tube and had somewhat similar results with the same Hornady pills you were using. But....I did do something different... and it shrank my group size to approx. half the previous size. What I did was completely secure the front SLING SWIVEL that is ATTACHED TO THE FRIGGEN BARREL via the front sight base! My theory was this loose swivel was flapping around changing the barrel harmonics. Besides, why on earth would some company sell an upper with a FREE FLOATED BARREL and then attach a swivel to the front sights which are attached to said barrel. Even with a sling attached and under pressure it would impart differing (read dynamic) tension, making shot to shot consistency difficult. This is exactly why one FREE FLOATS everything in the first place....RIGHT? And this is exactly why most free floated tubes have a hole for a sling swivel drilled and tapped on the free float tube... not anything attached to the barrel...SHEEESH!?!?!!
Now, I didn't read if you'd already tried what I did, but the results I got made this rifle print much better. Albeit didn't make it a tack driver, I'm confident that working up loads will make it shoot better still.

Hoping this helps you cause I too was sickened when I couldn't get this smoke pole to print better than 1 1/5 to 2" groups.
GOOD LUCK SIR!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Sadly both of you are suffering from using Model 1 Sales uppers and attempting to use them as precision rifles. Model 1 Sales makes a "good" upper but not one that will compare to the precision uppers from Les Baer, Sabre Defense, Precision or Alexander Arms.

The 20" Model 1 Sales upper is listing out at $395 in stock configuration but Sabre Defense uppers are nearly triple that price. My guess is there are multiple reasons for the added cost, but they yield superior accuracy. Now dump $1000 into any upper and it better perform well, but at the same time expecting a budget price upper to deliver sub-MOA performance without SERIOUS TWEAKING is probably not reasonable.

BTW, for whatever it is worth, I've gotten great results with WOLF MTP but poor results with some of the higher priced ammo!!! That said, try different loads and see if your barrel prefers something else.

- Ayn Rand
Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 PM

hellcat is on a distinguished road

I had a Model 1 upper that i recently sold (didnt really need 2 uppers) but i was gettin good groups with Wolf MPT and AA 90gr. TNT's. most groups were around an inch, lower was a AA tactical with stock trigger. longest shot was 300yds at a possum. fired 4 shots and connected with 2, after sprinting 200yds and running up a flight of stairs to get my rifle, and using the 2x4 on my deck as a rest, that didnt seem so bad considering it was a moving target. you may need to test different ammo and see what your barrel likes.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat View Post
I had a Model 1 upper . . .
. . . you may need to test different ammo and see what your barrel likes.
Bingo

- Ayn Rand
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM

BERTMAN77MK2 is on a distinguished road

just buy a great barrel to start with--the less expensive ones are a crap shoot--u may or may not get a good one
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM

noone is on a distinguished road

Loose gas blocks are a common cause of poor accuracy. Fortunately, it is usually simple to fix. Move the gas block forward off of where it usually mates up with the barrel. Clean both the inside of the gas block, and the barrel where the gas block sits well. Then just use blue loc-tite, making sure that you don't get any into the gas port (for obvious reasons). Replace the gas block, and allow the loc-tite to harden. Usually, a slightly loose gas block causes vertical stringing, I have never had a really loose one, but if it really wobbles, I'll bet it could cause terrible accuracy issues.

Another issue with the gas block is not having the end of where the gas tube enters the gas key on the bolt carrier wear prematurely. If the gas tube bears on one side, top or bottom, that part of the gas tube will wear out prematurely, and begin leaking gas much faster than a properly fitting one will.

If the upper and lower receiver wobble when mated together, you can replace the front push pin with a shoulder bolt available at most good hardware stores. These precision ground bolts, exactly match the push pin diameter. File a flat spot on the allen heat portion of the bolt, and the flat spot will mate to where the flat of the push pin used to be. Be sure to put a washer between the receiver and nut used to secure it so that you don't mar the receiver. When you tighten up this shoulder bolt/nut, it will completely eliminate play between the upper and lower receiver.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 PM

I had the W04 of the Marine team tell me that the gas block, gas tube and the key on the bolt carrier cause most accuracy problems. I can attest to loose gas blocks and have had the key come loose because it was not pinged in. Drove me crazy for two weeks. I clean my gas tube more than I clean the barrel. I just spray carb cleaner or Gun cleaner fluid down the tube and run tiny brushes through the carrier key. My barrel only gets cleaned on my AR after 400 rounds or so. Not so with the 6.5, I clean everytime.