Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Outdoors > HANDGUNS Forum

HANDGUNS Forum Discussions for Target, Defensive, Concealed Carry handguns & holsters

Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough
Question IDPA competition 'legal' guns for "SSP Class" events

I'm not an IDPA shooter but I'm coaching a new shooter who is now starting to compete in IDPA. He has competed using my guns in a couple competitions but now is ready to buy his own gun and is looking at various models.

While I can help him with his shooting technique and skills, I don't fully understand the technical aspects of the equipment rules.

Here is my question, can a gun with FACTORY porting be used in SSP class for IDPA? For example, can a Glock 34 or a Springfield XD9 V-10 be used in standard production class (SSP = Stock Service Pistol) by an "unclassified" shooter? I ask this because these guns come from the factory build with porting so it would make them 'stock' guns, but I am unclear about the rules regarding compensators/porting regarding the SSP guns.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

joec will become famous soon enoughjoec will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Default Re: IDPA competition 'legal' guns for "SSP Class" events

Here is what I found at http://www.ccidpa.org/idpa-legal.html

Quote:
No Ported Barrels or Muzzle Compensators

One characteristic that will make a handgun unacceptable for use in any IDPA gun division is the presence of a muzzle compensator or barrel porting; Because some IDPA stages require shooting from a retention position, the hot gas, unburned powder granules, and bullet metal fragments expelled from these devices can constitute a very serious hazard, both to the shooter and to the Safety Officer accompanying the shooter through a course of fire. And since the recoil levels of IDPA-approved calibers can be easily managed using a proper grip and upper-body stance, these devices are solutions to a problem which doesn't really exist, and instead create a new and very real safety hazard. Pistols with ported barrels can often be brought into compliance with IDPA rules simply by purchasing and installing a non-ported replacement barrel.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor