• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Raw Peanuts

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a hankerin' for some boiled peanuts! When I lived in Loozyana you could find them anywhere and I used to boil them quite often myself.

I'm looking for anyone that may have access to a farmers market where jumbo raw in-shell peanuts are prevalent. I just ordered some from Superior Nut Co. that came out to about $2.20/lb shipped. Also found some in MS shipped in burlap for less money but they where not jumbo, shipped for about $1.60 /lb. Georgia and Virginia are the hot spots for peanuts ................. anyone out there at all have any info?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh Big Dog .... what are you doing. When my sister-in-law lived in Georgia, on a trip to visit her, I tried boiled peanuts. There were roadside stands everywhere selling them. They were, without doubt, the nastiest thing I have ever put in my mouth and that's from a guy who has eaten all kinds of unknown crap from vendors in third world counties. By all rights I should have come down with some despicable disease but those boiled peanuts were the only thing that made me want to barf. :puke2::puke2:

I'm sorry ol' friend but I can't help you to do that to your body. :yum::yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Doggie!!!!... get your nuts online!!

Oh wait.. I meant.. find some of those nuts online.:yum:
independenceday.png

http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/peanuts/boiled.html?gclid=CPHm9sGO26ICFcl25Qod7TEJxw

By the way, I have never had boiled peanuts.
Check out the health tips.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Doggie!!!!... get your nuts online!!

Oh wait.. I meant.. find some of those nuts online.:yum:
View attachment 46206

http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/peanuts/boiled.html?gclid=CPHm9sGO26ICFcl25Qod7TEJxw

By the way, I have never had boiled peanuts.
Check out the health tips.

I almost ordered from nutsonline bit Superior's shipping was half so I ended up getting 5 more pound for the same price. I'm already getting anxious, can't wait to fire up the crawfish pot ..........um, um ,um!

Thanks PG!

1. Breaking News from Alabama A&M University's Department of Food and Animal Sciences...A new study by a group of Huntsville researchers found that boiled peanuts bring out up to four times more chemicals that help protect against disease than raw, dry or oil-roasted nuts. These phytochemicals have antioxidant qualities that protect cells against the risk of degenerative diseases, including cancers, diabetes and heart disease.

2. Boiled Peanuts contain resveratol, a plant chemical also found in red wine, which studies have shown to have a protective effect against cancer and heart disease.

3. Major studies have found eating peanuts can lower the risk of heart disease, cut the risk of diabetes and assist dieters.

4. Boiled peanuts are loaded with many vitamins and minerals and they are high in plant protein. Also, the fat content is primarily monounsaturated and polyunsaturated.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried to find fresh peanuts for boiling a couple of years ago. Never did find the right ones. Finally slipped a warehouse man a few bucks and he got me whatever the lady I was with what she wanted. She claimed that they should not only be raw, but fresh (not dried). Either way, they are not to my taste.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got'em, did'em .................. yum!

In the pot .......

IMG_0539.JPG

Fired it up ........

IMG_0546.JPG

Boiling .........

IMG_0541.JPG

2 hours .......

IMG_0545.JPG

4 hours ........

IMG_0549.JPG

Raw and boiled ............

IMG_0551.JPG

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what do they taste like?
Did you season them in any way?

Boiled peanuts ............. :whistling: .............. Hard to describe, the flavor comes out with the brine. It's nothing strong or offensive, most have issue with the texture, they're soft.

Chicken broth and kosher salt .............. Actually what's good about eating boiled peanuts is the small zing of brine you get when eating them.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Boiled peanuts ............. :whistling: .............. Hard to describe, the flavor comes out with the brine. It's nothing strong or offensive, most have issue with the texture, they're soft.

Chicken broth and kosher salt .............. Actually what's good about eating boiled peanuts is the small zing of brine you get when eating them.

Hmmm.. I'd like to try them out just once.
Maybe I'll make a small batch soon, using Old Bay Seasoning.
I'd imagine they may taste something like a partially cooked pea, with a little zing.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm.. I'd like to try them out just once.
Maybe I'll make a small batch soon, using Old Bay Seasoning.
I'd imagine they may taste something like a partially cooked pea, with a little zing.

You can use anything for season. I started with a basic batch to get my groove on. Next will be Old Bay or Tony Chachere's and jalapeno, garlic, etc is not out of the mix!