Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Outdoors > RIFLES & SHOTGUNS Forum

RIFLES & SHOTGUNS Forum Discussion area for all Long Arms

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

300 H and H will become famous soon enough
Default Marlin firearms to close doors...

Just got the word,

Marlin firearms co. is going out of business with 250+ employies loosing their jobs. Another iconic american firearms manufacture out of business....I predict Remington will be next as the holding co. that owns them aquired Marlin a couple of years ago. Sad times in the gun business in our country.

Regards, Kirk
Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

joec will become famous soon enoughjoec will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Default Re: Marlin firearms to close doors...

I find that kind of strange as guns over the last year have really been selling around here. Ammo shortages due to demand, CC licenses up almost 150% over last year and gun shops in my area expanding with additional sites.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Joe,

It's all over two firearms web sites I visit....I think it is true.

Regards, Kirk
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough

Apparently, they are just moving to a more gun and manufacturing friendly state. It was a decision by their parent company. That's what I read on another site.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
I find that kind of strange as guns over the last year have really been selling around here. Ammo shortages due to demand, CC licenses up almost 150% over last year and gun shops in my area expanding with additional sites.
My preferred gun shop happens to be the largest gun shop in your state and isn't all that far from where you live. I know the owner and his family well. Firearm sales in the last 6 months have spiraled downward. Feel free to call Darryl or Becky and ask them. Here's a link to their website Whittaker Guns.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Master of Distraction

I sure hope they aren't closing 'cause I have a 1894 in 44 Mag on my shopping list for the future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

joec will become famous soon enoughjoec will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
My preferred gun shop happens to be the largest gun shop in your state and isn't all that far from where you live. I know the owner and his family well. Firearm sales in the last 6 months have spiraled downward. Feel free to call Darryl or Becky and ask them. Here's a link to their website Whittaker Guns.
Thanks for the site and I've only been through Louisville, KY and never stopped there. Bud's is probably the largest in my area with 2 stores, 1 range and a second range opening in the next month in Lexington. They told me the last gun I bought that business has been good. I know the both locations are always crowded with customers even with a large number of sales people. The same with the single man shop up the street from me. He also says his sales are good this year. At any rate I just found it surprising but not unbelievable. It isn't something that I pay close attention too to be honest. I'm not a collector and most of the guns I owned I have from years only adding 3 in the last 5 years.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

Tractors4u is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes gun sales have been up, but people are buying the type that Marlin sells. The big sellers are semi autos and as far as I know Marlin only sells a .22 auto loader. When I was growing up kids either had a Marlin .22 or Ruger 10/22 if you had a semi auto. The Marlin was always the least expensive. I'd be willing to bet Ruger sells 10 of their 10/22's to every .22 semi Marlin sells. Marlin sells no handguns, so they aren't making money on those. They do make some nice lever action rifles, both big bore and .22. My dad has an old Marlin .22 lever action. That is one solid rifle.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the site and I've only been through Louisville, KY and never stopped there.
One good thing about Whittaker's is that he posts his prices online unless forbidden to do so by the manufacturer. He's sort of the "Sam's Club" of gun dealers. He has a ton of everything and if you happen to find a price cheaper somewhere else, it isn't going to be much cheaper.

I actually have heard several people tell me that Darryl is quietly trying to sell his operation. Not due to any business reason, but health reasons. I'd put his weight at somewhere between 700 to 800 pounds. I haven't seen him be able to get up and walk in years.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Cold Member

jim slagle is on a distinguished road

Looks like they are moving the production line out of state.

WTNH Television

Marlin Firearms closing, 265 laid off

North Haven plant closing in next 18 months

Updated: Thursday, 25 Mar 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 25 Mar 2010, 4:54 PM EDT

North Haven, Conn. (WTNH) - Employees at Marlin Firearms in North Haven just got word late Thursday afternoon that they will be losing their jobs in the next 18 months.

265 people will be losing their jobs. The layoff will begin in May and the plant will be closed by June of 2011. The company tells News Channel 8 that they are moving the work out of state.

Employees we spoke with say they feel blindsided.

"We had a meeting at 3:30pm. They gonna phase us out," said one employee who has worked at Marlin for 19 years.

Founded by John Marlin in New Haven in 1870, Marlin Firearms is now headquartered in Madison, North Carolina. In 2007, Marlin was sold to the Remington Arms Company.

The North Haven plant manufactures a variety of rifles.

The United States Constitution ©1787. All Rights Reserved

Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together!

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate

My Favorite Forums!
Net Tractor Talk - Net Cooking Talk -Net Boat Talk - Net Car Stop
NOTICE!

FF REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM.
EVERYONE GETS ENOUGH EXERCISE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS, FLYING
OFF THE HANDLE, RUNNING DOWN THE MODERATORS, KNIFING FRIENDS IN THE
BACK, DODGING RESPONSIBILITY AND PUSHING THEIR LUCK.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

SShepherd will become famous soon enoughSShepherd will become famous soon enough

the spiraling gun sales are going to serve a few gunshops right....

A local shop I'd been doing business with since I was 12, as a scout for example.
They have been flooded with business for the last 3 years. I noticed prices creeping up, then I took a S&W .44mag in to sell on consignment ( it was one of 3500 made)-- they said it was worth $350 ! I asked them why they even bothered telling me, because all they did was insult me. ( I sold it 3 days later for $750)
My wife went in to buy me a hunting rifle for Xmass, the sales person was short and rude with her and she left. Those places that have gotten fat over the past 3 years and forgot who gave them business during the lean times are in for some really hard times.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough

Marlin is RELOCATING but is NOT closing!
Marlin Being Relocated
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/archiv...03-29_tow.html

After 140 years, the Marlin plant located in North Haven, Connecticut will be closed by the middle of next year. According to Remington Arms sources, the facility is being decommissioned and the manufacturing relocated to Remington's Ilion, New York facilities, the Marlin lines are not moving offshore.

For the North Haven community, it's an economic hit, impacting not just the 265 Marlin plant workers, but the cottage industries that have sprung up over time to service the Marlin workforce. When Marlin was acquired by Remington in 2008, there were 345 employees in North Haven and another 225 workers at the Marlin facility in Gardner, Massachusetts. Today, only 265 remain, and they've been notified they're not going to be working beyond mid-2011.

For the industry, the news is yet another sign that business as usual is coming to an end. As corporations acquire smaller brands, corporate efficiencies, and economies of scale trump history and community standing. After all, if the brands didn't fit inside a corporate portfolio and meet criteria that include efficiencies, the buy wouldn't make much sense to begin with.

When larger companies acquire smaller ones, consolidation is inevitable.

The process is no different nor more surprising from Remington concerning its family of companies than Smith & Wesson integrating the Thompson/Center operations into its Springfield, Massachusetts headquarters. Stock analysts I've spoken with have made it abundantly clear they'd like S&W stock better if T/C's facilities went away altogether. Fortunately, the analysts don't run companies, they observe them.

If smaller companies were operating efficiently and/or profitably, they would most likely not be candidates for takeover. It is their inherent inefficiencies which make them candidates for acquisition, despite any historical standing. Ultimately, companies exist to make money for owners, whether they be private or public. If a new owner thinks they can change profit-and-loss statements with consolidation, consolidation is inevitable.

For the company founded by John M. Marlin in 1870, it's a change in the kind of ownership lineage that has remained tied to New Haven and Connecticut communities. After acquiring Marlin from its original owner, the Kenna family owned and operated the company for nearly eighty-five years. Remington is the first corporate owner.

At this writing, it seems Marlin, Harrington and Richardson, New England Firearms and L.C. Smith- all Marlin brands -are destined for absorption into Remington's existing manufacturing facilities in Ilion, New York. Such a move would maximize use of that facilities and consolidate manufacturing operations. Consolidation is another efficiency necessary to compete with imported products.

Although it's purely speculation on my part, a consolidation move makes perfect sense if you're demonstrating lean operating abilities as part of some sort of market capitalization move. Bankers and investors are quite fond of consolidated operations, especially if the company happens to represent numerous iconic brands.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Master of Distraction

Well maybe they aren't moving to a more gun and manufacturing friendly state . . . just consolidating from one anti-gun tax heavy state to another anti-gun tax heavy state.

-Gerald Ford