• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Web Site Editor

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Who is an ameture web hoster out there (I know you are Doc)?

I'm looking to re-build my website. I did my old one (hasn't been deleted yet...) with FrontPage, but now I'm on Charter and they do not support that format. So I am off to find a new HTML editor with FTP capabilities. I undersatnd that this is a standard and if I learn a new software for Charter, when I switch to Verision later this year I won't need to change again (I hope).

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance. Av8r :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use TextPad for editing and WS_FTP for ftp'ing. Both offer the try before you buy option. I think you'll be glad to get away from front page.

Gatorboy

Av8r3400 said:
Who is an ameture web hoster out there (I know you are Doc)?
Hosting means storing files on a web server

Av8r3400 said:
I'm looking to re-build my website. I did my old one (hasn't been deleted yet...) with FrontPage, but now I'm on Charter and they do not support that format.
Not sure what Charter is, but HTML is just text -- any text editor will work.

Av8r3400 said:
So I am off to find a new HTML editor with FTP capabilities.
I use Dreamweaver

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Sorry, I guess I'm not being descriptive enough.

First; Charter is a huge TV Cable company who also provides internet service through their TV cable. Yes, I'm not looking to host, just publish something boringly simple like my last site.

Main issue: I know nothing about HTML other than thats what FP would convert to to be published by my old provider (I think?). I still use MS IE as a browser, so I don't know if the firefox options will work for me. I was hoping to be able to get something similar that has a set of instructions or something that I can follow to learn how it all works. I'm (obviously) not the brightest bulb in the marquee, so I'm looking for something simple to operate.

All opinions are welcome (except Junkman, 'cause he's been banned :toilet: ).

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
Nevermind.

I figured out how to make FP work. Now to fill the website with my BS. :eek:

Last time I checked, Frontpage will fill up your site with BS all by it's self. :toilet:

Gatorboy

Av8r3400 said:
Main issue: I know nothing about HTML other than thats what FP would convert to to be published by my old provider (I think?).

Your local library should have books on HTML. You could always search the web -- there are many sites out there to help you.

Cascading Style-Sheet (CSS) is what you really need to concentrate on. Change one file and all your pages reading the .css file change as well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look for perl / cgi scripts for counters. If you have cpanel which comes with many hosting packages web counters and other stuff is normally included.