Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum

Snowcat Adventure & Usage Forum Snow Trac, Kristi, Thickol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier stories & discussions

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Bronze Member

Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road
Default Polaris Rangers on Tracks?

I realize this is a snow cat forum, not a Polaris Ranger forum, but I'm curious as to the opinions of forum members as to how well those machines perform in snow, and what their limitations are.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Melensdad will become famous soon enoughMelensdad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Polaris Rangers on Tracks?

Koz's Snowgrooming Talk may be a more likely place to get a really good answer on this question. There are some snow grooming clubs that have tried this set up for dragging smaller trails. From what I can recall in reviewing some of those threads its a marginal set up for actually getting any real work done. The articulated machines are better suited for this type of track conversion, something like the small Holden tractor.

Koz is a member here, several of us are also members at his site. LINK TO KOZ >>> http://s8.zetaboards.com/snowgroomingtalk/index/

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Tucker View Post
I realize this is a snow cat forum, not a Polaris Ranger forum, but I'm curious as to the opinions of forum members as to how well those machines perform in snow, and what their limitations are.
on a recent s&r the snow cats had to go out because a utv and mini truck on trackes got stuck i see alot of those tracks following around the trails i pioneered with my snow trac they sem to work great on packed trails and in snow up to about 15 inches avter that if there is no base they tend to wallow now about polaris after working on them things in iraq if you are going to get a utv get a arctic cat or yamaha the head mechanic at our local polars dealer even says the stupidest thing polaris did was to put wheels on anything.they mahe a great snow machine but there wheeled products are pimped out go carts also the remote sump oil system tents to foam up in thecold causing moste owners to park their machines during the winter after the first time the oil tank blows out.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

mattfidaho is on a distinguished road

We have tried one, they are better then tires, but still too heavey for the smaller tracks to be very effective on deep snow. we have since changed to a Yamaha grizzly 700 with tracks to use on quick small sprint of fall tower outings that we dont need to take the cat on...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

after the ranger we tired a Polaris 800 with the Polaris tracks,

then we went to the grizz with aftermarket tracks, there is a huge difference... for one the grizz was the first to have power stearing and it also does a fully locking front and rear diff but it is still not a snow cat. but it does really well.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

weatherby is on a distinguished road

This is a pic. of mine this past week. My neighbor has a Polaris 4x4 like mine except a few years newer, and he has (or I should say HAD) tracks on his, but sold the tracks this past summer. For what they cost, IMO they are NOT worth it. They worked great on hard pack BUT so dose mine WITHOUT tracks, when in snow that is deep enough to drag the underside of the machine, they really start to show there short comings. IMO they are not nearly wide enough. I use mine all winter long as long as I stay out of snow that will reach my underside. and it works great. Also as long as I stayed in his tracks, I went any where he could go with NO tracks until he got stuck and that was all the time in deep snow. As far as a Polaris, Arctic Cat Yamaha, or Kabota it makes no difference.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherby View Post
As far as a Polaris, Arctic Cat Yamaha, or Kabota it makes no difference.

I disagree, WEIGHT is the difference, I garenty they all dont weight the same.. I havent kept up on all the new machines but in the 4 Wheelers I always take weight into consideration when looking...
Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

Deerlope is on a distinguished road

I have been running these for 3 years now, The Bota could use a little more HP but we manage.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Back On Track

mtntopper is on a distinguished road

I have owned many snow cats, a mattrack equipped F250, snowmobiles and now a Yamaha UTV with tracks. They all have their short comings and good qualities. We set up a Yamaha Rhino this fall that is a daily commuter vehicle for the wife to use to get to her Jeep and then to work daily. Since we live remote in the mountains of WY, we are unable to drive to our home for 5 months a year except over the snow. We have driven the Rhino up some very steep slopes that are deep snow covered where you wanted to lean forward thinking it might try to tip over backwards like a dirt bike. The tracks never slipped and the Yamaha climbed up and out much like one of our snow cats. Notice in the pics I attached we have the latest design of Camoplast 4S that are sold as all season. They are much lighter in weight and longer in length than many of the early track conversions for UTVs. The Yamaha Rhino with the 700 engine is also narrower and lighter than many of the other UTV models being sold so the tracks have surprised me as to their capabilities. They will definitely out perform, take you to locations such as to this herd of elk that any wheeled 4 wheeler or UTV can not do and that I will guarantee you.......
Name:  P1010010 (Medium).JPG
Views: 4972
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  P1010013 (Medium).JPG
Views: 5002
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  P1010014 (Medium).JPG
Views: 4950
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  P1010018.jpg
Views: 4895
Size:  13.3 KB

http://www.trackvehicletech.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies, and detailed ones at that!

It seems from Matt and Weatherby that the Polaris Rangers (and other Polaris models) don't do all that well on tracks in snow.

But The Yamahas (Matt and mtntopper) do considerably better, as do the Kubotas (Deerlope).

Mtntopper you make it sound like you're so happy with the Yamaha you're going to get rid of your snowcat(s). Are they really that good?

Considering the vast experience Polaris has with snowmobiles, and with long track western mountain sleds, it's surprising to me that their track options are so mediocre.

How do these perform on sidehills? My impression is that a snowcat has better deep snow performance and better sidehilling ability as well.

With a snowmobile you can grab onto the mountain bar and put both feet and all your weight on the uphill side and cross some fairly steep hills (similar to the photo Matt posted). But with a side-by-side you can't do that, and it doesn't look like they have anything on their tracks to help, such as the ice cleats on a Tucker grouser bar.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

side dill suck on a side by side... the ranger we had in the picture we had to side hill it to get there... we has 2 guys off the passenger side to keep it stable. (not very safe) we also had to winch t a lot...

I don't think they will ever replace a cat or sled, but they do have there place.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Back On Track

The Yamaha UTV will not replace a snow cat or snowmachine for the real steep and deep. The Rhino is narrower and shorter in length than a Ranger or (Kubota which sadly lacks power with the non turbo diesel at higher elevations) and handles moderate sidehills with no problem. I have several vehicles for over the snow transportation and find the Rhino is flexible, built very well, powerful enough to turn the tracks with the 700 engine, very economical to operate and quick as a daily commuter along with being very dependable. I can always run down a snow packed road/trail in the F250 with mattracks, blade/groom a trail with my Bombardier SV200 groomer if needed, blade off a side hill with my Super Imp or go where none of these will go with one of my snowmachines but the Rhino does a decent job and much better than I anticipated when I set it up with the tracks. The cab on ours has heat and a windshield wiper so it is a great vehicle for her to commute to her Jeep daily. The Camoplast 4S tracks are considered all season which means you can drive them on bare ground, mud, pavement or as needed unlike many other track conversions but we try to keep them in snow as much as possible. Yes, it can be considered a viable alternative to a snow cat for many uses and a fun vehicle to own......

Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Bronze Member

couchloafer is on a distinguished road

here is something to keep in mind when not on a groomed trail....or almost not on a groomed trail
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM

thats a krusty cloked as a ranger so the owner can get more krusties to pull him out before other snow cak owners see him
Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

JSX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchloafer View Post
here is something to keep in mind when not on a groomed trail....or almost not on a groomed trail
Looks like the IMP scared it off the trail!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Back On Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchloafer View Post
As all things go they are not idiot proof..... Looks to me the operator should of known a lot better and as it went to the side and down in the ditch stopped before burying it out sight and backed up......

A shovel and ten minutes you could have it out of there... Probably such a smart operator he figured on borrowing a shovel......if he ever needed one........ bless those that think so far ahead.....they need it!!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks, guys for all the responses!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM

slowcatdriver is on a distinguished road

I have both a Ranger on tracks and an Imp- I prefer the Ranger most of the time. I use it to access my cabin in interior Alaska. I've run the Ranger in snow so deep that it was pushing up the hood and onto the windshield. I use it to pull out stuck snowmachines. I've pulled a 1500# load of lumber over a packed trail and up some serious hills without a problem. It's quieter, rides smoother and uses less fuel than the Imp. The downside is they have a bad reputation for blowing drive belts, although I've only blown one (and didn't use to carry a spare). I tried to post some pics but can't figure out how reduce the size- HELP.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcatdriver View Post
I have both a Ranger on tracks and an Imp- I prefer the Ranger most of the time. I use it to access my cabin in interior Alaska. I've run the Ranger in snow so deep that it was pushing up the hood and onto the windshield. I use it to pull out stuck snowmachines. I've pulled a 1500# load of lumber over a packed trail and up some serious hills without a problem. It's quieter, rides smoother and uses less fuel than the Imp. The downside is they have a bad reputation for blowing drive belts, although I've only blown one (and didn't use to carry a spare). I tried to post some pics but can't figure out how reduce the size- HELP.
i use windows photo manager go to edit photos and compress it to web page size works good for me but i'm no computer expert.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Back On Track

As stated earlier the Rhino has a lot of track in contact with the snow and I am surprised how well it has performed which was more than my expectations..... It is very cost effective fuel efficient and low maintenance versus a snow cat....a snow cat is not always the best tool for the job...... especially on marginal snow conditions or wind blown open areas of dirt and bare ground.... where the Camoplast 4S tracks are designed as a four season run them all the time track system.... with the lack of snow this year in our area I have only put them in one situation that I thought they would fail which was a very steep up hill climb through soft and crusted wind blown snow..... they went right up and to the top and never spun.... This convinced me they had more ability than I had anticipated when I bought them as the steepness of that climb was not something I expected from a UTV.....
Name:  P1010017 (Medium).JPG
Views: 4622
Size:  104.0 KB