Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum Major Restorations, Upgrades, and Non-Stock Snowcat Modifications

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM

59muskeg is on a distinguished road
Default Track belting

I think it would be great if we all pooled our knowledge and connections on replacement belting sources on here. I have worked at ski areas off and on for many years as a mechanic on groomers,I am well aware of petersons,falline,hanshall etc. But there has to be a more economical way of replacing belting. I for one simply do not have $500.00 plus to purchase 1 8inch belt letalone eight of them for my spryte. I have been doing alot or research on belting material. I have found 3 suppliers for belting. The belting will perform to -40, its 3ply nylon/polyester 3/16 top coat and 1/16 bottom coat,it has less than a 2% strech factor over its life. This is a 330 piw rating. I can get 8inch by 23feet 6inches for 185.00 a belt, or about 350.00 punched out each. Falline has a contract hush with one supplier, The point I am trying to make is there has to be a cheaper way to buy belting that will perform on out cats that is affordable.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigAl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Track belting

I agree ! I purchased my belting from a conveyor belting supplier . They had a ton of different styles for all kinds of needs . I also ended up with a 3 ply that with stands super cold temps . It works fine . I paid about $900 for a full set . That is 4 belts on each side for a total of 8-6 inch x 23 feet belts. I purchased it from Capitol Rubber in Sacramento Ca.

Disclaimer: Read with caution !!
Poster may be Bad Speller at times .
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road

59muskeg,

I'm also looking for some track belting, and not looking to break the bank in the process. However I do not want to punch out all the holes and I'm also looking for high quality belting.

Could you share with us the name of the supplier(s) who quoted that price.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM

The name is Dunham Rubber & Belting Corp, Indianapolis IN 800-876-5340, I will get you the others
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Bronze Member

Well, I just called Dunham and said I was looking for belting for a Sno Cat. I was transferred to a salesman naked Mike who said "We cannot do those".

I wonder how you got a different answer?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Tucker View Post
59muskeg,

However I do not want to punch out all the holes .
Punching the holes is easy ! I just purchased the hollow point punch in the right size . It took longer to lay out the hole diagram with a marking pencil then it took to punch the holes . You could do them all in one day.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Punching the holes is easy ! I just purchased the hollow point punch in the right size . It took longer to lay out the hole diagram with a marking pencil then it took to punch the holes . You could do them all in one day.
For a 1600 series Tucker, here's the math on the holes: 31 grouser bars per track/carrier held on by 6 bolts and two studs per grouser (8 holes) =248 holes per track/carrier x four carriers = 992 holes.

No Thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Blackfoot I will call on monday,I had 3 0r 4 conversations with the guy. I did not call saying i was looking for snow cat belting. I told them what paremeters i was looking for in a belt and he came up with belting,priced with and without holes. The suppliers that provide belting for places like Falline have notations rite on their computer not to give out any information,I know this for a fact.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

Thiokol2track is on a distinguished road

heres a few i use. www.flnmar.com and www.troybelting.com . I made a template out of 1/8" steel 8 inches wide ,to make sure it stays square on the belt, and drilled holes large enough for my cutter to pass thru. The cutter i made out of stainless tubing ,and notch the side so the plugs can fall out. sharpen the end and use a countersink to sharpen the inside. (repeat about once per belt) You can control the hole size by how much you sharpen the tubing, either on the inside or outside. The cutter works better as it warms up. Was doing an 8 inch belt 24' in about 45 minutes. Hope this is of some help.

also drilling was done on plywood as to not dull the cutter as quickly.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 AM

Thankyou for adding that good info!! I have a quote from troy belting too.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Thiokol2track,

Perhaps it would be worth it to make a template and do the punching myself. I was picturing several days spent punching.

I may have "screwed the pooch" by saying I was looking for belting for a Sno Cat. My understanding is that there are many different types of belting, some of which don't really work well in our application.

If I'm trying to purchase Sno Cat belting without saying "Sno Cat" what exactly do I say?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

snowbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information regarding belting material and how to punch holes. My belting is weather-checked and likely pretty old, so right now that's my main concern of being stranded out in the "boonies". I'm not sure how to judge whether to replace it.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well if it is cracking , it is just a matter of time before it starts tearing . I would start searching for a good replacment belting and have it ready when your old belting finally gives in to age .

Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Bronze Member

In addition to belting, the Flexco lacing ain't cheap, either. Does anyone have a good source for that, pricewise?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I do not know if its cheap or not ,but my flexco fasteners were under a $100 .

Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 AM

uppercanada is on a distinguished road

For what it is worth: A friend of mine runs a J5 (in rough bush) and he swears the best belt material he has come accross is used in rock crusher setups. I seen the used material he gets from a local company that refurbs crushers and it looked tough yet pliable. He machined up a hollow point bit to fit in a pneumatic punch and he cut really clean holes in the belting. His advantage is he has access to all the expensive tooling at work to get this done :-( .............

Don't forget to cotterize!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Bronze Member

Thiokol2track is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Tucker View Post
Thiokol2track,

Perhaps it would be worth it to make a template and do the punching myself. I was picturing several days spent punching.

I may have "screwed the pooch" by saying I was looking for belting for a Sno Cat. My understanding is that there are many different types of belting, some of which don't really work well in our application.

If I'm trying to purchase Sno Cat belting without saying "Sno Cat" what exactly do I say?
blackfoot . I would say definitely worth the effort to drill "or punch" yourself. The cutter works very well and is not as time consuming as one might think.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Bronze Member

I had to order some parts from Tucker and brought up the subject of track belting...

A new 1600 series belt from Tucker is $225.00. I asked if they would sell the raw belting (unpunched) and they said no. I was told they use Goodyear belting.

I called Goodyear corporate and spoke to several different people. As they don't sell to the end user, but through distributors, they referred me to their rep in the SLC area. I haven't called him yet. They did say that they have been selling some 1/2" thick belting for a snow groomer application. My Tucker belts are 5/16" thick and I'm quite sure they are original.

Just doing some math; there are 31 grousers spaced 6 1/16" apart so each belt is 32 x 6 1/16 = 194 inches x 16 belts = 3,104 inches = 259 feet. I thought I would order 300 feet and have a couple of spare belts. That's going to be heavy!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Qualities to look for in a replacement snow cat belt. 1.The fabric that the plys are made of should be a combination of nylon and polyester. 2. The overall strech factor of a new belt should be less than 2% over the life of the belting material.The pounds per square inch rating vary with the amount of plys used and the rating for each individual ply.For example a 2 ply 220 belt is comprised of 2 layers of 110 lb fabric. These days the fabric comes in many ratings, 110,200,300lb etc. The overall strength of the belt is not always determined by how many plys it has. You could have a 900lb belt with only 3 plys or a 4 ply belt with only 440 lbs rating. 3. The flexibility of the belt is very important,this takes into account what the minimum pully or idler

diameter that the specfic belt requires,also very important is the operating temperature rating of the belt. Many conveyor belts are not designed to work in temps below 0 to -25 degrees. Belt top coat and bottom coat also play a role. Conveyor belting often has a thick top coat such as 1/4 inch and 1/8 on the bottom.Too much rubber compound between the belt and the bolting surface of the cleat can cause lateral and horizontal excess movement causing bolts to loosen and possible failure. These are just some things to keep in mind when trying to substitute a conveyor belt for your tracks. I know why we do this,its simply the high cost of replacement belting!!! I am in the process of working with a belting company to come up with a belt that will work,but at working mans prices! They are actually having their lab diesect different oem thiokol belting. When they are done they will know exactely what the rubber compounds are,strength rating,and type and weave of the plys. They currently have belting that is strong and rated at temps in excess of minus 50. Dont forget alot of the belting available today has very high ratings which makes it more expensive. The reason for this is todays groomers weigh in excess of 12000lbs and are running 350hp plus diesels. A 4000lb spryte with a 12ohp gas engine does not need those ratings. I will post my findings on what i call the working mans belt as soon as i get them.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Bronze Member

J5 Bombardier is on a distinguished road

When I changed the belts on my J5 a couple of years ago I used 4 ply, it would be nice to find a economical supply of 5 ply in Canada for my Muskeg.
J5 Bombardier