• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Watercare, Foodcare, Clothingcare, Sheltercare, Healthcare

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Watercare, Foodcare, Clothingcare, Sheltercare, Healthcare
a lame healthcare diatribe
by Bobcat

What makes any one of these 'cares' more important than another? Why must I be forced by the government to provide any one of these to someone else? Why do some think that healthcare is a 'right'? What is a right?

What makes any one 'care' more important than the other? Without water, you may only survive a few days. That goes for every one of you, not just the infirm. How can that be less important than health? Without it, there is no health. There needs to be a national watercare system to provide water to those in need, right? Heck, they may only have a day or two left. This needs to be elevated to the response level of a national emergency. Stop whining; it would be cheap. You'll hardly feel the cash coming out of your pocket. Besides, most water supplies are already under government (municipal) control. We just need to rein in those co-op anarchists. They may not be making a profit from this, but how can you trust anyone but the government with a common resource? :rolleyes:

Ok, the immediate need is taken care of.. now for foodcare. You can survive what, several days without food? So we have a little more time to work on this one. There are already government programs like foodstamps and WICA. But those food chains are still making a profit. How can we allow someone to profit by providing a basic human right? We can't, I say! We need to nationalize the critical food production and distribution system. This may take some time, so in the interim maybe we can bring it down to the most local level and cut out the middle man. We'll create another lane in the supermarket. There will be the regular lane, the cash-only lane, the 15-items-or-less lane, and now the affluent lane. Anyone making over a certain income will be required to use the new lane. It works just like any other lane, except that every other item heading for you grocery bag will be passed down to one of the non-affluent lanes. You don't deserve any more food than anyone else do you? Didn't you learn 'sharing' in school? Now spit that gum out. :hammer:

What about clothing? Yeah it's summer right now, just slipping into fall, but it's getting tough to shake off the evening chill. This is probably one of the most overlooked human rights. Where is the government program to address this? Are we to rely soley on Goodwill and the Red Cross to fulfill this basic human need? No, I say! A police officer will be right over to commandeer some of your excess winter clothing. Remember, from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. By the way, come summer, rich or poor, every chick needs a bikini. :w00t2: What's this inside your closet? Designer sportswear outside of the 'hood? Poser. You are going to jail, my friend.

Just as important as clothing is shelter. The average family of 4 will spend about 35% of their income on housing (includes utilites). Why isn't it more important to have a big debate on providing housing instead of healthcare which is only 6% of the average family budget? Yes, yes, we have HUD and the USDA that can help provide some form of modest housing. But, just as it wouldn't be right or fair for someone to receive less healthcare than you, based on income, how can they accept less housing? Just as income shouldn't determine who gets a stent, bypass, or transplant, how can we allow income to determine one bathroom or two? Pony up. Build a new home, just like yours, for your neighbor (who happens to currently be living in an inner-city housing project 6 states away).

Ok, now that the fun is out of the way, what is a 'right'? All of these are basic human needs. You can, and probably will, die without any one of them. Does that make all or any of them a right? If you say yes, then you must believe that any city water department, grocery store, department store, or home construction company that denies you their goods or services based on your ability to pay is violating your human rights. Horsepucky. All of these are goods and services to be bartered, just like healthcare. And out of them all, the one you'd be most likely to survive without is healthcare.

If those are needs and not rights, then what are rights? I see rights not as something given to you by society, but as something not taken from you by the same. I have a right to not be impeded in my travel, as long as I don't violate someone elses rights. I have a right to speak freely, as long as it doesn't violate someone elses. I have a right to simply live, as long as it doesn't cost someone else theirs. I have a right to acquire things, as long as I don't steal them from you. These, as well as perhaps a few more, are all things that involve my 'person' and your 'person', not goods and services. I will not take any of them from you and I expect the same. All other things are negotiable. If I determine that I require shelter and you are capable of providing shelter, I will try to agree to an exchange. In this society, that usually means money. If you do not agree, I will not take your shelter anyway. That would violate your right. I will instead attempt to negotiate with someone else.

eh, out of time, gotta go. shoot it up, man.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Ha! No, man, with your piercing thoughts, insight, commentary, and yes, even a snark or two.

dammit, you responded too quick, gonna make me late. :yum: