• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

favorite hot sauce/homemade/store bought

BamsBBQ

i was just wondering if anybody else made their own and what are your favorite hot sauces.

i have 3 different hot sauces as of right now. another batch will be made this coming weekend. it will be made from habaneros i smoked with alder/cherry. just a small batch to see if i like the flavors.

Bam's Tropical Fire Hot Sauce - 1st edition
scotch bonnets,lime,apple cider vingegar,roasted garlic,onion,salt,dried apricots

313n34l.jpg

Devil's Dacari
Habanero's,lime,apple cider vinegar,roasted garlic,spiced rum,pineapple

17pydf.jpg

70hpjn.jpg

Bam's Tropical Fire Hot Sauce - 2nd edition - very very hot

34pxcgj.jpg

og9vv5.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey I have some of the tropical hot fire sauce on the way to me (At least I think that's the one you sent) ...still not here yet.

My favorite hot sauce: Skiline Chili Hot Sauce. (Skiline is a chain restaurant based out of Cincinnati Ohio.)

BamsBBQ

you are getting a jar of the 2nd tropical fire hot sauce. it should be to you by either friday or saturday

Hey I have some of the tropical hot fire sauce on the way to me (At least I think that's the one you sent) ...still not here yet.

My favorite hot sauce: Skiline Chili Hot Sauce. (Skiline is a chain restaurant based out of Cincinnati Ohio.)

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I like to use Sriracha garlic chili sauce as a "zip-kick" for many foods (and to make my own satay sauce).
Chipotle Tabasco is a close second.
otherwise, don't really have a favorite.
my least favorites are anything with "Dave's Insanity sauce" on the label, followed by the "pain is good" brand -- neither one tastes very good to me, and heat without flavor is useless.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I've made some from what we call "grove peppers"--(I'm not sure what the 'proper' name is)-- Just heated some vinegar & poured over the pepper, then let is set for about 6 weeks.
1) pour the vinegar over greens.....it really wakes up the flavor
2) put the peppers, with just enough vinegar to cover them, in a blender & liquefy. It makes Tobasco sauce taste kinda like ketchup.

Attachments

• P_00228.jpg
    P_00228.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P_00232.jpg
    P_00232.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P_00234.jpg
    P_00234.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 96

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We make our own, depending on what chilies my 14 year old experiments with in his garden.

Our staple though, is Cholula and Taptio. Not particularly hot, but nice flavor. And, my wife is a Tabasco fan. Yucatan Sunshine is good too. Otherwise, various sauces are in our cupboard from time to time.

I always like Mo Hotta Mo Betta' catalog and web site. http://www.mohotta.com/

BamsBBQ

those grove pepppers are the proper name for them. they are an edible ornamental pepper

and from what i have found reading about them, they are quite hot

urednecku

Site Supporter
those grove pepppers are the proper name for them. they are an edible ornamental pepper

and from what i have found reading about them, they are quite hot

Thanks. Yea, they are hot. And do NOT rub your eyes, or touch any 'sensitive' skin until you have washed your hands, maybe a couple times!

BamsBBQ

Thanks. Yea, they are hot. And do NOT rub your eyes, or touch any 'sensitive' skin until you have washed your hands, maybe a couple times!

i make sure i wear latex gloves or similar when dealing with anything hotter than a jalapeno

Kei

These are my two favorites.

Tejano Salsa which is good with chips.

habaneroreserve.jpg

And the El Yucateco sauce. It's good for tacos, chili etc.

elyucatecosalsapicanted.jpg

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've never tried the Tejano Salsa - it's not available around here.
OTOH, both the red and the green versions of the Yucateco are tasty on chips or burritos.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I'd kind of like to find some of those grove peppers to container grow here, since i doubt they'd survive a kansas winter outside...

BamsBBQ

YOURS Jeff, and I am still waiting for mine to arrive!!!!!
:yum::hammer:

i have bag of ripe habaneros frozen at their peek...the next sauce will be fire fire fire fire fire...i am not going to remove any seeds or membrane..i will send you a bottle when i can find lids for the bottles..lol

Kei

i have bag of ripe habaneros frozen at their peek...the next sauce will be fire fire fire fire fire...i am not going to remove any seeds or membrane..i will send you a bottle when i can find lids for the bottles..lol
I made the mistake of making salsa with habaneros and not seeding them. When it was all over the fire department had hosed me down and I now have to get a permit from the local fire marshal to use habaneros again. :ermm:

BamsBBQ

I made the mistake of making salsa with habaneros and not seeding them. When it was all over the fire department had hosed me down and I now have to get a permit from the local fire marshal to use habaneros again. :ermm:

my last sauce
34pxcgj.jpg

this is the amount of seeds and membrane i took out

2wg7qkx.jpg

and this is by far the hottest hot sauce i have made yet

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:w00t2:are you sure the lids will stay on the bottles?
I am thinking volcanic action here :yum:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I used to know a guy who made his own habanero vodka - he'd take a bunch of the peppers, chop them, and then soak them in cheap vodka for a couple of months until it started to look kind of red and the peppers bleached out.

the first sip lit you up, the second one was worse, but after that it didn't get any hotter and it started tasting sweet. Very tasty, but not something you drank a lot of as it would melt a hole in your stomach lining. (or at least feel like it had the next day... :doh:)