• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Freezer space saving ideas

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The Dish on Casseroles You don't have to have more dishes!!!!

Everyone loves a good casserole, and this little trick lets you stock the freezer without tying up your dishes. Line the bottom and sides of a casserole dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 Inches to extend over sides; fill with prepared recipe. Cover and freeze two to three hours or until firm. Lift the frozen casserole from the dish, using the foil sides as handles, and freeze in a zip-top plastic freezer bag. You'll need an extra-large 2-gallon bag for 13- × 9-inch baking dishes and a 1-gallon bag for 9-inch square baking dishes.

To serve, remove foil from frozen casserole and return to original baking dish; cover and let thaw in the refrigerator (allow 24 to 48 hours). Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature, and bake as directed.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3676/is_/ai_n31110089

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I used to do this with wax paper so the food could go direct to microwave.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do something similar. What I make meatloaf (mine is MUCH better than the lovely wife makes) I tend to make 2 or 3 of them. I put all of them in the oven and cook them. When done I let them cool, take them out of the baking dishes and wrap them in 1 layer of wax paper and then overwrap with aluminum foil . . . pop them into the freezer after they are wrapped. When it is time to eat them I simply put them back into the baking pan and heat them up in them microwave. Based on the shape of the frozen lump it is pretty easy to identify which dish/pan the meatloaf was originally baked in.

The layer of wax paper makes it easy to get the foil off without it tearing or sticking to the meatloaf. But I don't cook it in wax paper because the wax melts off and into the food/juices.