• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kitchen stove/oven gas

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
This week's collection of broken things includes my stove... just in time for Thanksgiving, eh ? :bonk:

I have a slide in gas Amana that is 8 years old. The oven "touch" pad has been a 'little' broken for 5 of those years and now it's totally broken and the oven temp is way off. This was not a cheap stove !

I find it a little hard to believe that your average stove costs over $1500 !!! ( Almost twice what I paid 8 years ago ! )

Please tell me the good and bad about your gas range. I would like to get another that has sealed burners and continuous grates but I want it to last .... mostly because my kitchen is on the second floor :bonk:

Thanks

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't have a gas range but couldn't you just order a new touch pad? Sears has pretty good parts support and lookup on their website.

I replaced a cracked tub on my washing machine a few years ago and fixed my ice maker in the refrigerator by using the parts diagrams and parts from Sears.

But then again, you may just want a new stove. My poor wife is stuck with Mr. fixit and will have the same appliances until I can no longer scrounge parts for them. :whistle:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Pixi!
That is outragious. I would expect any stove to last longer than that. 10 years ago we paid $1500 for a Maytag gas stove. We have had a service call on the oven, the broiler did not work right, but it was our fault. My wife stores her skilliets and stuff in there and they were stacked to high and bent the sensor for the broiler. Other than that it has worked flawlessly.
Our stove has the sealed burners but individual grates for the 4 burners on top.
I would buy this stove again if we needed one.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The control pad is $200. They no longer make a black control pad cover. The broiler doesn't work and the oven temperature won't get above 300 no matter what you set it at. I figure parts would run about $400 if I could find them and then I'd have it in pieces in the middle of the kitchen for a month :bonk:

I don't have alot of luck fixing things.... usually just go from bad to worse and need to buy a new 'whatever-it-is' anyway.... but I keep trying so I'm really fond of this smilie :bonk: :biggrin:

I have an older stove in storage... the kind with no electronics that work forever..... but it's yellow :rolleyes: I'm thinking about building a little shed for it outside somewhere..... or maybe install one of the RV stove/ovens I have around .... :yum:

Doc, this is made by Maytag, also. Guess they put a different name on it so as not to bother that repairman too much :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When we remodeled our kitchen we put in an electric cooktop so I can't help with current information. However, we've had good luck with GE 'PROFILE' series gas appliances.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The worst thing about my gas stove is that it is electric. :blink:
I feel the same way.

Who's making my dinner tonight ??? :huh:

The little button that the 'temp up' button should contact is to one side of center.... might be why it has Never worked well. Do you think my new one will have the same defect ???

Attachments

• Pixstove3W.jpg
    Pixstove3W.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 85
  • pixstove4W.jpg
    pixstove4W.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 78

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
The control pad is $200. They no longer make a black control pad cover. The broiler doesn't work and the oven temperature won't get above 300 no matter what you set it at. I figure parts would run about $400 if I could find them and then I'd have it in pieces in the middle of the kitchen for a month :bonk:

I don't have alot of luck fixing things.... usually just go from bad to worse and need to buy a new 'whatever-it-is' anyway.... but I keep trying so I'm really fond of this smilie :bonk: :biggrin:

I have an older stove in storage... the kind with no electronics that work forever..... but it's yellow :rolleyes: I'm thinking about building a little shed for it outside somewhere..... or maybe install one of the RV stove/ovens I have around .... :yum:

Doc, this is made by Maytag, also. Guess they put a different name on it so as not to bother that repairman too much :yum:
appliance paint is cheap - you could make that old yellow one look brand new!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I thought of that, Erik :w00t2:

I'm going to order the parts for this stove and install that yellow one outside on a covered porch.... hooked up to a 20 pound tank. Thanks to Red Green for the inspiration :rolf2:
The outside stove will be great for cooking fish.. I can't stand having the smell in the house but I like fish. The yellow stove has a big stupid backsplash thing that I'd need to take a sawzall to :dizzy:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
rustoleum makes a "hammered finish" paint that's really cool looking...
we used it to repaint some of our bathroom fixtures before installing to cover up the ugly chrome.