• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Most Expensive Delicacies

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
OctanMen Expensive Delicacies

Most of us have cooked with saffron, or perhaps had caviar.
As for the others on the list..:shock:

Digressing boundaries brings wonders of surprise and shocks. More that any other aspect of traveling like commuting vehicle, clothing and shopping, food can be a real consternation. For the ones who love to gorge food even a snacks outlet is good if they serve delicious food. But it can become the talk of town if one dines on costliest food in the most expensive restaurants in the city.

In case you can afford the indulgence, we offer you the most expensive delicacies of the world. This information is sure to brush up your knowledge. Nevertheless feel like a king when you have a chance to dine on the listed items.

Saffron
The smallest and the costliest spice! And this is the most prized of all spices. Its price at times reaches beyond US $2000 per pound.

Three stigma and style (parts of flower) of crocus flower makes saffron. Each stigma needs to be handpicked. 70,000 to 250,000 flowers make only a pound of this yellow powder. When used in a dish, a small quantity needs to be added to lend that color and aroma. Large quantities can be toxic. It is mostly found in Moroccan, Indian, Spanish and Mediterranean fares.

Beluga Caviar
Another delicacy that can send your thoughts racing is Beluga caviar. It can cost up to US $5,000 per kilogram. Caviar is fish roe and a particular type called Beluga Sturgeon found in the Caspian Sea and is the most expensive of them all.

Exceptions might grow faster, but an average Beluga Sturgeon takes twenty years to reach maximum size, and it can weigh nearly 2000 pounds. The fish can range from black to purple but the palest ones are the costliest food. It is a dish of its own as no addition is required to improve the flavor. Beluga has been held in high esteem in the World Wildlife Federation list of endangered species making the caviar highly priced.

White Truffles
It is an eagerly awaited priced possession of the chef’s world. There are families in which the secret of white truffles (mushrooms) are kept under shade and passed down to generations as a treasure. This delicacy is cultivated mainly in Italy but some truffles are found in France as well. Now they are also grown in China and domestically in Oregon.

Trifolau, the truffles hunters use trained dogs or pigs to sniff these delicacies. White truffles can cost anywhere between US $1,000 to US $2000 for a pound.
Connoisseurs unite to give away winter truffle (white truffle) the award of being the king in mushroom category.

Best’s Nest
A variety of Swiflet bird, especially Caves Swifts produce nest with their saliva. Once the chemical of the saliva hardens in the air, it reaches the delicacy list of China. It is generally savored as soup but can be had as a sweet dish as well. It can cost up to US $2,000 per kilogram.

Kofe Beef
When Tajima- Ushi, a special breed of Wagyu cattle is raised according to some strict traditions, its meat is considered as an expensive delicacy. This class of cow is believed to be fed on beer and grain so that when cut, it has very tender meat. The meat can cost up to US $300 per pound. The cow is genetically predisposed to intense marbling and produces higher percentage of oleaginous, unsaturated fat than any other breed of cattle known in the world. Originally Tajima- Ushi is a Japanese breed.

Fugu Fish
There are some who can savor the luxury of Fugu fish. It is now cultured in Japan in cages floated in the Pacific Ocean. The most priced among the lot is Tiger Fugu. It costs over US $100 in the fish market and when you are in a luxury mode of having it in an up market restaurant, the dish can cost up to US $1,000. A Growing demand has made this delicacy travel to the racks of licensed grocery shops. This fish can be prepared only by trained chefs, as even wrong holding of the fish can send you to the morgue.

Foie Gras
Another delicacy of the western world which can be rated just next to caviar is Foie Gras. A duck or goose is fed forcefully by a tube through the throat. This method is called gavage and due to this the liver expands incredibly with fat. The liver texture is similar to butter with earthy flavor. It can be eaten raw or lightly cooked. This delicacy can cost you up to US $250.

Last edited by a moderator:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it might explain why I'm broke, but I've experienced everything on the list except the Fugu Fish and I think that I may give that one a miss. I've heard of it and it's supposed to be highly poisonous.

I ate a root in Nigeria that was highly toxic. It had to be pulped and boiled to destroy the toxins and even then it tasted like crap. It always amazes me how you can take something that is highly poisonous and figure out a way to prepare it so that it's edible. You'd think that after the first time that they ate it and somebody died, they'd kind of give up on it .... but no, not us humans. We'll just keep on trying different ways to prepare it, kill off a whole bunch of people and we'll eventually figure it out. :bonk: After all that death and destruction my only hope is that it's worth eating. That Nigerian root sure as hell wasn't.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Beluga Caviar
Another delicacy that can send your thoughts racing is Beluga caviar. It can cost up to US $5,000 per kilogram. Caviar is fish roe and a particular type called Beluga Sturgeon found in the Caspian Sea and is the most expensive of them all.

Take a crap out on your front lawn (when no one is watching of course).

Now, take a knife and spread some of your crap (which is on your front lawn) on a cracker.

Now, eat the cracker with your crap on it.

You now have a good idea of what Beluga Caviar tastes like if you've never had it.

Isn't it amazing that when you tell someone what something costs, it's the price that can determine the "percieved" quality, particularly when it comes to drink and food?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree DZ, I had caviar once, promptly walked to the corner of the room(at a dinner party) and spat it into my napkin :)
It IS disgusting crap.. eww!