• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife won't cook fish. . . so I did it myself!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know why, but I got hungry for some fish tonight. Unfortunately for me, tonight is PIZZA night in our house (and I am lactose intolerant).

So I went down and pulled out a non-stick skillet, tossed in about a tablespoon of butter. While the butter was melting I took some frozen baby asparagus spears and quartered them, sliced a fresh roma tomato into 1/4" thick slices and tossed them into the skillet to fry in the butter.

Turning to the desire for fish, I took a piece of salmon and patted it dry then I coated 1 side of it with a couple tablespoons of sugar.

Back to the skillet with the tomato and asparagus I added a shot of hot chili oil to the melted butter because I love the taste of hot & sweet dishes. Stirring the oil into the butter to fully incorporate it, I let it heat up and carefully laid the salmon into the skillet, sugar side up. I let the salmon cook about 1/2 way through. I turned the heat up to HI and then using a wide spatula and a fork I carefully flipped it sugar side down. The sugar quickly caramelized and I lifted the salmon out of the skillet and placed it on a warmed plate, sugar side up, veggies on the side.

I don't know why the lovely Mrs_B doesn't like fish and won't cook it, but left to my own devices, I think I managed very well. :chef:

Took a grand total of about 10 minutes to cook, only dirtied 1 pan. Tasted good too!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well if it makes you feel better the salmon and the asparagus were both frozen when I started cooking.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Bob, I feel your pain. If I want fish "In house" I have to do the dirty work.

Always well worth it though!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wife won't cook fish, what you complaining about, my wife won't cook at all. She has this excuse that growing up she was stuck in a tractor and never learned to cook. But she says she can drive a tractor.:ohmy: But she won't drive my 4 wheeler or my TC29D.:rolleyes:

Bob,

Try this recipe sometime. I love this, use Special K or butter crackers instead of corn flakes. This is good.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Now Bob, that sounds delicious!
Maybe the Mrs. doesn't like the smell of fish in the kitchen.
In that case, put a pan of water with vinegar (or cinnamon) on the stove during the cooking.
I love fish, but don't like my kitchen smelling like it for days after.
Did Mrs. B enjoy the dinner you cooked?

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice Bob, when I want fish, we go to Mike Linnigs in Louisville and chow down, then I have fish for 2 more meals since the portions there are from some very large fish!.

P

Pigtails

That sounded really good, Bob. We do not cook alot of fish around here. MTN doesn't care for it too much. So when we go out sometimes I'll order up my halibut or shrimp.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Fish and aspargus..... Now thats good eating even if not prepared as exquisitely as your description!

Of course, next time, why not satisfy everyone: a shrimp and anchovy pizza - not sure if it'd be as tasty minus the cheese, but one way to find out!

BoneheadNW

Bob, if you don't mind, at what age did you find out you are lactose intolerant? The reason I ask is that, seemingly overnight, I am now unable to drink milk without getting indigestion. Cheese and ice cream are not a problem, thank heavens. What happens if you do drink milk?
Bone