• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I hate spam

JayC

Huh?
This makes me extremely mad. I had been so careful not to give out my new ISP e-mail address. The "new" e-mail address is about a year old now. I never gave it out to anyone and only used it for highly reputable, well known retailers like Wal*Mart, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon. I got my first spam e-mail yesterday and have since gotten quite a few more today. Up until this time I have never got any spam. I hate spam. Why can't these people just die.:mad::mad::mad::2gunsfiri:14_6_12::finger2:

And why is it that all the spam is about dick enlargement?:mad::mad:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JayC said:
And why is it that all the spam is about dick enlargement?
I'm not going to say why they're sending you that...

Is your e-mail address prior to the @ something simple? In all my e-mails, the ones that are short (3 letters or so prior to the @) get lots of spam. The longer ones don't get any.
I think they just use every combination of letters prior to the @ and send it out.
With only 3 letter/numbers before the @, there's around 50,000 combinations. When you add a 4th char, the number jumps to about 1.75 million and it's harder for them to get them out.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I don't have my glasses on. I thought you said "I hate sperm". I was really curious as to what precipitated that comment...:eek:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
JayC said:
And why is it that all the spam is about dick enlargement?:mad::mad:

Dargo said:
Oh, I don't have my glasses on. I thought you said "I hate sperm". I was really curious as to what precipitated that comment...:eek:

I believe that you have hit on the reason that he hates the advertisements... :whistle:

As for the comment that the longer the name, the less spam, my email address is quite long on letters. The problem is that the spam lists of email address's keep getting cloned and your email keeps getting repeat hits. I have one email account that I set up for the wife 2 years ago and it has never been used, not even once. When I opened that address, there were a few hundred spam emails in it. How and why I have no idea, but somehow they find address's that are active and keep proliferating mail to them. Yahoo address's are where most of my problem spam originate from. :mad:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another tidbit, never ever reply or click on a button to remove you from their spam list. This tells them they found a good address, and maybe if you lucky they'll take you off of their list, but for sure they'll sell your email address to hundreds maybe thousands of others. So, the spam will never end. If you hosting provider offers up domain services as part of being your ISP you can buiy a domain name and use it for your email. Then you forward it to your regular email account or do multiple forwards to work & home etc... I think forumsforums.com is a mouthful, but I also own dothq.com and echunk.com (to name a few). If anyone would like a email address from one of them I can set you up. I'll limit it to the first 10 to request one on either domain. Not sure if this will help anyone, but it sure is better than yahoo or hotmail.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Modern spam-sending software contains a list of every known email name (before the @) and randomly couples that with a list of every known mail site. (after the @).

This addressing scheme will reach nearly everyone in the Internet universe unless you can make up a username that is truly unique.

A tip: use the word 'spam' in your email name. Also use a punctuation character. I don't receive any spam at my addresses similar to spamresitant@, and very little at ones like info-reply@.

Making up a different hyphenated name as the reply-to for each busines you deal with is a good way to see who is selling your name. Something like 'spam-from-amazon@' should work.

JayC

Huh?
Another odd thing is my Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail addresses. I use my Yahoo address for a lot of things. Spam is really low. I use my Gmail address for alot of things as well, mainly my "spam magnet" address. I haven't got any spam in that address. I barely use my Hotmail address, if at all. I get inundated with spam in that address. I have no idea where it comes from.

OkeeDon

I have a multi-site account with my server host. It's actually a reseller account that allows me to sell and set up an unlimited number of domains within my server space. However, I don't resell any accounts. I have several set up for myself (hornerfamily.com, donhorner.com. betsyhorner.com, etc.) and have set up domains for each of my kids, for my daughter's high school band, for my brother-in-law's travel videos, and for a friend's real estate business. The last one is the closest to a resold account; she pays me to set up and maintain her entire site and leep the listings, etc. up to date. (I get all of this for about $23 per month paid annually from Page-Zone).

I also purchased a domain name just to have an anonymous mail server. It's registered through a private proxy registrar and GoDaddy.com so no one can determine the actual owner of the domain, and I have set up server space for it. I don't use this site for anything except receiving email anonymously. I can set up any number of email accounts to 150; if anyone is interested in a totally anonymous address, PM me and I'll provide the details. On second thought, it wouldn't be totally anonymous, I'd have to set it up, and therefore I'd know your password and would be able to intercept your mail, if I was interested, which I'm not, but I could be, so I guess if you're paranoid enough to need an anonymous address, you're too paranoid to do it through me. :D

The best part of having all those domains and nearly unlimited email accounts under each domain is that I can have as many different email addresses as I want. I'm likely to set one up in order to register in some site that has to verify an account, then never bother to check it again. Maybe once a year I look at them and clean them out if the fill with spam. A couple of times, my server sent me warnings that one account or another is getting too full.

The interesting thing is, every account automatically has a catch-all account that collects mail sent to bogus names at that account. Every once in a while I look at that catch-all account for one domain or another. They are addressed variously to "info@...", "mail@...", "webmaster@...", "accounting@..." and dozens of other names that are typically used at any web site.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried the breast enlargement site today, and it didn't do a damn thing for me :(