• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol at the edge of the World...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
When I was in Dutch Harbor, Alaska on the ship this last year, I ran into a Thiokol that had been there since it was prob. new. It seems to have very little run time, more rust time though. The Grousers don't look like they saw too much runtime on them either.

Anyway, someone could prob. get it for a song and a freight bill...

Attachments

• Crystal and Donna 001.jpg
    Crystal and Donna 001.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 514
  • Crystal and Donna 002.jpg
    Crystal and Donna 002.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 522
  • Crystal and Donna 003.jpg
    Crystal and Donna 003.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 521

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow... that's hard core!
Check out the left floor that's significantly more eroded due to the leakage in and gathering on that side from the slope of the road. Not a big deal..but just interesting given the amount of time to cause such a difference!
Kinda interesting.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I will be up in Alaska in the next few years.. Not sure if we will actually be on that chain of Islands though. BOBP?????? What you think? Anyway what a story that old THIOKOL could tell! Did it have the OC15 in the back?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Anyway what a story that old THIOKOL could tell! Did it have the OC15 in the back?

Never looked at the back of the unit, just took the photos and left, it was parked at the edge of someone's yard and nobody was home so I didn't want to poke around it. There really isn't too many places or reason for having something like that there. I assume that someone bought it from the AF to use up in the pass to the other side of the island since that area does get some snow, but it would be a scary ride down the other side...

The cleats don't have much wear, but may have rust on them to maybe needing some attention, or not, just going by the rust on the forward floor panels.

I took the photos in fairly high res. but they don't cross over the same on the postings. If someone wants to see the photos, you can send me an email and I can send copies of them to you for closer inspections.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Settle down, Mainer, it's not good for your heart to beat so fast.

Attachments

• 100 0380 A.jpg
    100 0380 A.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 495

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet his hands are shaking while he types! :yum:

Aww, heck. So are mine. :pat:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
If anyone wants to go to Google Earth and see where it is sitting, here is the Cord's.

53 51' 12.86" N 166 30' 16.68" W

Pretty neat Satellite photo of it, you can see the top of the unit really nicely sitting out in the yard!

Oh, I forgot, Elevation is 81 feet...

You can even see some of the old bomb craters left by the Japanese from WWII when they attacked there.

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Settle down, Mainer, it's not good for your heart to beat so fast.

OK... so I've got my airline ticket in hand, I've got my stack of google maps printed out for once I land in AK. I've got my survival kit, GPS, digi-cam, hiking boots, satellite link-up for my laptop to send live-web cam footage to the forum, a stack of cash to pay a robber... I mean a shipper, and a really extra-dork-factor 1 million candle power 12-LED array velcro'd to my forehead... I'm ready to go get'er and DO SOME GOOD! Oh, and a mini-keg modified to act as a camel pack to keep me hydrated and calm on my way to 53 51' 12.86" N 166 30' 16.68" W. I feel bad that I kept her waiting all these years out in the elements !!!! :drink: :boobies: :snow2_smi:

...but all this anticipation of a possible union... I know I can keep my pulse down if I think of big, fat, wide-tracked snowcats...instead of such a sleak, sexy, ATV'ish honey that she is! :poto: :bunnies: I bet if I asked real nice she'd even turn around and wiggle that sweet little OC-15 at me... the one that Snowcat Ops asked to see. I may have to make a commitment to her with a nice R&P for her diff from Boggie... but one step at a time. I'll see if I can get away with a cheap downpayment date of a coat of Imron (ok, not that cheap but I'll like her that much more with a fresh skin). :pat: Then maybe I'll get to know her OC-15...

Actually, I do make every attempt to keep my long distance relationships down to 5,000 miles while she's playing hard to get at a wopping 6,500 miles. I guess I need to get a couple of my aluminum gals to tell this one how good she'd be treated if she were to just come my way a little bit further and sign up for ... :yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
There is a few "Cheaper" ways to get it to America if you wanted to. One of the easiest is to have one of the Crabbers bring it down when they head out to Ballard WA after the crabbing season in the spring. They take the boats down for yard work and refitting. May be able to get it there for a song....ok a really good song....anywhere from a grand to a couple...

The regular freight shippers may cut a deal since not much southbound freight goes out... sometimes they get pretty good at cutting rates...since an empty ship home don't pay the bills...

There, that should start a frenzy.....

I work with some of the companies that have the Crabbing boats (well almost 200 foot ships) and may be able to find someone a backhaul it if that comes to pass that someone really wanted it....

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
OK... so I've got my airline ticket in hand, I've got my stack of google maps printed out for once I land in AK. I've got my survival kit, GPS, digi-cam, hiking boots, satellite link-up for my laptop to send live-web cam footage to the forum,

I think it would be much easier just to fly in, check into the local hotel and rent a car and drive the mile or so down the only main road in town... it is an island....

In the event that someone really wanted to know a lot more about this, I could prob. track the owner down and find out some info on it... But it will cost you:yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the 'reever' still a fly in option, or have they gone out of business? I read somewhere that their Super Electras were up for sale or scrap.

Oops, looked it up, RAA out of business. How could that have happened?

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
A couple other interesting points on this one...

1. It's orange, almost guaranteed a blue interior. But you can see the Air Force logo however I haven't ever seen an orange one for the Air Force. The ones made for civilian use were usually painted orange over the blue during a time when they were doing two things: 1) making them straight up for civilans and 2) selling Air Force units to civilians and gov't didn't want them blue...then of course they stopped that and just sold them with the original blue. Maybe that Air Force lettering is showing through where orange has worn off? Not sure. But it also isn't obvious that blue was ever under the exterior.

2. There's always been rumored to be civilian versions that were made without the navigator hatch but every single one I've seen has the hatch (of the 601 model). The angle is shallow on this so it may be there.. but usually the external hatch handle is visible from this angle. So, it may be one that was made for civilian use then taken in by the Air Force and branded but left orange.

So many questions!!??!!?? Where's that airline ticket again??? Oh hell, I'm just going to hitch! Mark the scene with yellow 'snowcat scene' tape and do an onsite forensic study. :pat:

Who knows. Interesting though. I better stop with the coffee!

When I was in Dutch Harbor, Alaska on the ship this last year, I ran into a Thiokol that had been there since it was prob. new. It seems to have very little run time, more rust time though. The Grousers don't look like they saw too much runtime on them either.

Anyway, someone could prob. get it for a song and a freight bill...

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If anyone wants to go to Google Earth and see where it is sitting, here is the Cord's.

53 51' 12.86" N 166 30' 16.68" W

Pretty neat Satellite photo of it, you can see the top of the unit really nicely sitting out in the yard!

Oh, I forgot, Elevation is 81 feet...

You can even see some of the old bomb craters left by the Japanese from WWII when they attacked there.

O.K. let see filed my flight plan. Do my preflight. Schedule fuel stops. Check.
Contact freinds in Alaska with freight lifting chopper. Check wait till day after Christmas. Bye. :yum: :yum:

socal4t12

FOGTENDER.........
if your out there looking into that old beast, see if it has the DATA plate on the dash still. if so. grab a pic of it so we can get this old cat registered here on the history category. get the serial number, year, and any other data that will help preserve its history.
nice find. i might be interested if one of those crabbers would float it down to WA. would be interested in any of the old cats that might want to get floated down.

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
O.K. let see filed my flight plan. Do my preflight. Schedule fuel stops. Check.
Contact freinds in Alaska with freight lifting chopper. Check wait till day after Christmas. Bye. :yum: :yum:

Wait a minute... that's way too professional!
This is supposed to be an adventure... Boggie, we all know you can procure, restore, relocate, and mobilize an army appropriate for a small country!

This type of 'savior-activity' needs to undergo extreme conditions...there needs to be suffering! Maybe some mild starvation, a bout or two of hypothermia, frostbite of possibly a small toe (for effect, probably better to lose the upper portion of the toe) ... that sort of thing. Definitely some vehicles off the road into a ditch, some satellite communications, maybe the downing of a small aircraft, etc...

It also counts to stage some of that too... so if you prematurely ran out of fuel and had to emergency land on another island then that would count! :thumb:

I'm still hitch-hiking... but I better redo my GPS and Google Maps for your compound! :pat: You'll have it there from AK in a week and I'll see you at your compound in a month (given the rate of progress my thumb will make on I-80), with it fully restored for a photo shoot on January's "Playcat." :boobies:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wait a minute... that's way too professional!
This is supposed to be an adventure... Boggie, we all know you can procure, restore, relocate, and mobilize an army appropriate for a small country!

This type of 'savior-activity' needs to undergo extreme conditions...there needs to be suffering! Maybe some mild starvation, a bout or two of hypothermia, frostbite of possibly a small toe (for effect, probably better to lose the upper portion of the toe) ... that sort of thing. Definitely some vehicles off the road into a ditch, some satellite communications, maybe the downing of a small aircraft, etc...

It also counts to stage some of that too... so if you prematurely ran out of fuel and had to emergency land on another island then that would count! :thumb:

I'm still hitch-hiking... but I better redo my GPS and Google Maps for your compound! :pat: You'll have it there from AK in a week and I'll see you at your compound in a month (given the rate of progress my thumb will make on I-80), with it fully restored for a photo shoot on January's "Playcat." :boobies:

No, Don't work for that Army anymore when I do a mission I go alone and by stealth. Take no prisoners and assess the casualties alone the way Grabbing any available good buys alone the way also .:yum: :yum: but your approach might make a better movie.:wave:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
FOGTENDER.........
if your out there looking into that old beast, see if it has the DATA plate on the dash still. if so. grab a pic of it so we can get this old cat registered here on the history category. get the serial number, year, and any other data that will help preserve its history.
nice find. i might be interested if one of those crabbers would float it down to WA. would be interested in any of the old cats that might want to get floated down.

Sorry, I am up by Fairbanks, Dutch Harbor is about a third of the way across Alaska, about 1200 miles from here.... Don't plan on being out that way til summer when the boats start breaking down agian..

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Is the 'reever' still a fly in option, or have they gone out of business? I read somewhere that their Super Electras were up for sale or scrap.

Oops, looked it up, RAA out of business. How could that have happened?

Yeap, Reeves Aleutian Airways went the way of that great Dodo bird.... I really enjoyed flying on the Electras, they were truely a quiet airplane to fly on verses the noisy stuff today...
Dodo_bird.jpg

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I will be up in Alaska in the next few years.. Not sure if we will actually be on that chain of Islands though. BOBP?????? What you think? Anyway what a story that old THIOKOL could tell! Did it have the OC15 in the back?

So... I looked closely at the photos... and attached you see the left view and the right view of what can be seen of the back-end from the space between the body/tracks. The left view *appears* to show the left side of the bar bent over (so they cut the middle out).

I've also included a standard rear view to show the hitch bars I'm refering to.
People will sometimes cut these and bend them to get at the OC-15.

Snowcat Ops may have asked a very good question... is the OC-15 there? Given the radiator was scavenged... and these bent bars it does make me wonder. There are a few parts that are pretty unique to these and the radiator is one (one reason you see some big bulky radiator modifications...also because they sometimes would overheat depending on conditions so people upgraded them). I have another 601 that had the hitch bars completely removed just for that reason of 'ease of access/maintenance' but it was by the owner. They weren't just bent out of the way but they had been cut off, welded, smoothed, and painted.

hmmm... of course I'm always paranoid so who knows... still worth investigation.

Attachments

• Missing OC15.jpg
    Missing OC15.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 338

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the hi-res pictures, I'd say this is definitely an Air Force cat painted orange over blue.

The number on the door tells a lot. The 67C?476 says this was procured by the USAF in 1967 as a Cargo vehicle, and it was the ?476th cargo vehicle procured that year, if I'm remembering how to read this correctly.

The areas with more blue showing are predominately along edges and not in areas more protected from the elements, like close to the window gaskets. Also, you only see blue near areas of exposed metal, never orange.

A couple other interesting points on this one...

1. It's orange, almost guaranteed a blue interior. But you can see the Air Force logo however I haven't ever seen an orange one for the Air Force. The ones made for civilian use were usually painted orange over the blue during a time when they were doing two things: 1) making them straight up for civilans and 2) selling Air Force units to civilians and gov't didn't want them blue...then of course they stopped that and just sold them with the original blue. Maybe that Air Force lettering is showing through where orange has worn off? Not sure. But it also isn't obvious that blue was ever under the exterior.

2. There's always been rumored to be civilian versions that were made without the navigator hatch but every single one I've seen has the hatch (of the 601 model). The angle is shallow on this so it may be there.. but usually the external hatch handle is visible from this angle. So, it may be one that was made for civilian use then taken in by the Air Force and branded but left orange.

So many questions!!??!!?? Where's that airline ticket again??? Oh hell, I'm just going to hitch! Mark the scene with yellow 'snowcat scene' tape and do an onsite forensic study. :pat:

Who knows. Interesting though. I better stop with the coffee!

Attachments

• Thiokol in Dutch Harbor I Z1.jpg
    Thiokol in Dutch Harbor I Z1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I must not understand. The drive sprockets are obviously there so how could the OC-15 be missing?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I must not understand. The drive sprockets are obviously there so how could the OC-15 be missing?

As seen in this picture from Weatherbys restore thread, it might be possible to remove the diff and leave the rest there.

Attachments

• DSC02333-1.JPG
    DSC02333-1.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 339

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
As seen in this picture from Weatherbys restore thread, it might be possible to remove the diff and leave the rest there.

Right... see below.
I haven't tried it but I've been told you can slip the sprockets out far enough and then voila... don't know how far ??? that distance is to disengage as the Weatherby shot below has them nearly all the way out for illustrative purposes. They should disengage well before that... a few inches but I don't know how many. The rest is bolted onto the frame so the casing, axles, etc. can remain and it would still hold up the rear sprockets/track.

I think it's awesome that we're all savvy with Weatherby's restoration!!!
It's being quoted like the work of art that it is!

Attachments

• 601OC15.jpg
    601OC15.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 326

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
...or if a person were really barbaric they could just cut straight through the axles and take the entire casing/diff. and those sprockets would still be held there as long as the cut was before that square portion that bolts to the frame.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What you guys are saying is possible I guess but if I were doing the getting I'd grab the drive from sprocket to sprocket. Slice the track rubber with a razor knife, torch a few bolts and take the whole thing. Why go to more trouble to get less? Either way this machine just doesn't look melted into the ground enough to be some totally abandoned relic. Couple of things about it though. It 'looks' like it started life as military and was then painted orange so how come it has that shinny chrome Thiokol emblem on the nose? The 67C476 number looks like it was stickered on top of the orange paint. Can't tell which color the yellow letters are on. No hatch. Sorta think Mainer is right that this was civilian when new.

Last edited: