• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker repower

1jbuck

The 542 I have has a small block chvy in it with a 2 speed automatic.I have been thinking about putting a diesel in it.I have had the cat in deep powder and never need all that power.even pulled full size trucks out of the snow and still never used it.As near as I can tell the cat came with a 6 cyl jeep motor aprx 115 flywheel hp with a 4 speed gear box.I have a rebuilt w123 mercedes diesel with a 4 speed box it is 72 bhp.I am a big diesel fan,My only concern is power.Is 72 bhp the same as 115 flywheel????????????I think it would make a clean conversion and be very fuel efficient.Let me know what you guys think:confused2:

Eric L

Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with that engine, but I think the lower HP #'s are not a concern as torque would be your friend. as long as its not too heavy I'd think you'd like it. I myself would look at the Cummins 4BT just 'cause its a domestic engine. Does the Mercedes like to run at a higher RPM than say a Cummins? it's a car engine right? or is it a truck engine?

One thing about the tuckers is their design makes repowering like this simple.

:weneedpic

Eric

1jbuck

It is a engine and trans out of a 240 d and it will run at higher rpms.I would pick the cummins if it was not so $$$$$ and I have a spare running w123.Just been hanging on to them because the are so simple.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Based on memory, the top RPM for that engine is set at 4500.... I know that mine wouldn't go past 2500 unless it was in gear. Mercedes has a lot of safety devices built into there engines so they can't self destruct. I would think that the harder part of the install would be the electrical system that Mercedes uses than the actual install itself. You have the starting glow plug issue and then the vacuum shut down issue to install. Not saying that it can't be done, but it will take some thought as to how to do so unless you use the entire electrical system from the Benz. Sounds like a good match to me, and that 4 cylinder Mercedes engine is bullet proof.

Southtowns27

I think you'll be just fine. Diesels have "artificially" low horsepower ratings. Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5252
If you have an engine that makes 200ft/lbs of torque at 4500 RPM you get 171 horsepower. Now, if you have an engine that makes the same 200ft/lbs but at 1200 rpm, you get only 46 horsepower. In either case, you still have 200ft/lbs of torque to turn the driveshafts. The low horspower rating on the diesel is a result of it making peak torque at a very low engine rpm in addition to having a low operating speed relative to a gasoline engine. I think you'll be very happy with the diesel.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is, of course your Tucker, but if mine currently had a Mercedes diesel in it and I had a 283 or 327 with a good Powerglide laying around the garage I'd be thinking about making that swap, not the othe way around. For a steel track Tucker you've got a nice drivetrain what don't you like about it?