• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Correct Tension for Spryte 1201b Tracks???

4plus3vette

Hello again,

After fixing a lot of little items pertaining to the track system, I had the Spryte up on cinder blocks so the tracks could hang freely. I adjusted the tensioning bolts so that there was about 3-4 inches between the contact part of the track and the center wheels.

While working at a ski hill in the past, I worked on a Tucker and the Tucker technician told me that when you tighten those tracks (model 1642), that the track should hang down about 1" below the center guide tires when hanging freely. I applied this same thought (expanded to 3-4" due to the much longer track) to the Spryte.

I searched this forum thoroughly and I could only find one post that talked about specifics regarding how tight to make the track. That information came from Ray Green. He mentioned that you tighten the track to the point that while standing on the outside of the track, the inside won't hit the underside of the vehicle. Is there any more technical information than that available?

Does any one else have any advice regarding this?

Thank you,

Jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is the tension I go with.

too tight is bad. too loose is better. if the sprockets are skipping too much, You are too loose.

I was told on a 601 D dent type gouser, there is a droop measurement taken from a straight edge to the top of a grouser, this measurement is taken on the top between the guide tires. I do not know the distance, I have a 601 that skips too much and I am seeking the amount to tighten it. Waiting for adequate snow before I go changing things.

Im a newby take this advice for what you paid for it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a chat with boggie about this, and the first method of standing on the track is a good one. the reality is the Thiokol system with it's rear drive isn't too sensitive to track tension. if it jumps sprockets on a down hill run while trying to steer add a little more tension. down hill and turning is most likely where the sprocket will slip good luck