• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 1450 Governor

ronfam

I have a 1981 DMC 1450 and when the engine hits 3300 rpm the ignition shuts down for a few seconds then restarts at about 1200 RPM. Is this just how it runs, (it has always done this) or can I adjust/alter the governor, which I suspect is what is causing this aggravating abrupt change in forward momentum. If it is an adjustment, does anyone know how to do it? Thanks.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
most gasoline governers work with a flapper under the carb the exception being the vw industrial motors and some u-haul engines if it were mine i would look at removing it and watching the tach

ronfam

image.jpgOK. So I do not see anything moving near the carburetor when the governor shuts everything down. I found this box labelled engine safety control behind the instrument panel, with a rheostat that someone wrapped some electrical tape around many moons ago, I suppose to keep it from inadvertently changing the RPMs at which the engine safety control shuts off the ignition. If I dial this up, any idea how high I can safely run RPMs on the Ford 200 CID engine? Alternatively, it sure would be nice to just be able to press the gas and have it hold itself there instead of the ignition shutting everything down. Is there a governor out there that would act this way? See picture:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that little 6 ans a pretty long stroke compared to a v-6 i wouldn't want to exceed 3500 rpm you may want to ditch that thing unless you don't watch your tach or you have other people driving it.