• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

601 Belts

wesley

I was playing with the dog at camp last week end. His Ball rolled under the front of my "601" and I noticed a belt hanging. There are two belts, it appears to be the one for the alternator. I'm at best a "back yard" mechanic, what am I facing?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my guess is with that engine confifuration you will have to be a contortionist to get in to it on the plus side there are 2 bolts to loosen on a ford the pivot bolt should be a long one with as i remember a 9/16 head and also the same size wrench for the nut and a 1/2 inch head bolt threaded into the alternator for adjustment if you have an high out put alternator the bolt sizes will be 9/16 and 5/8 once the belt is tight you want about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of deflection on the belt if its too loose its going to slip if its too tight you will have a water pump failure