• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Things to do when you can't sleep, but need to...

Angelface

Ideas? What are some good tips for things that will help you fall asleep, or at least make you feel tired enough to close your eyes? I have important things to do tomorrow morning and I'm wide awake.. I have meds to knock me out.. but they are to hard to wake up from. :/

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you have the same problem I do which is your brain is racing too much to fall asleep.

I turn on the TV and listen to (don't watch, just close your eyes) something that's just interesting enough for me to pay attention (to take my mind off of things at home) but not interesting enough to keep me wanting to watch more of it.

Angelface

Sounds like you have the same problem I do which is your brain is racing too much to fall asleep.

I turn on the TV and listen to (don't watch, just close your eyes) something that's just interesting enough for me to pay attention (to take my mind off of things at home) but not interesting enough to keep me wanting to watch more of it.

Hmm yah.. kinda like a semi intresting documentary or something lol

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been having the same problem lately. It's a mental game. Just repeat in your mind "I've done all I can today. It'll be there tomorrow." That usually helps to calm my brain down. Deep breaths and focusing on nothing but the breaths going in and out also helps.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmm yah.. kinda like a semi intresting documentary or something lol
Exactly

I've been having the same problem lately. It's a mental game. Just repeat in your mind "I've done all I can today. It'll be there tomorrow." That usually helps to calm my brain down. Deep breaths and focusing on nothing but the breaths going in and out also helps.
I do something similar to this.
Very slowly, count down from 100.
While doing this, mentally start relaxing your body. I start at my toes and work my way up. E.g. starting at 100, I'll get down to about 90 by time I've been relaxing one foot.
About 90% of the time, I'm asleep before I get down to zero.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No problem. I was having a hard time sleeping for a month since I found out about the week of tests they have planned. I finally decided to just accept that it is what it is and I can't change it. So no sense losing sleep literally. I have to mentally block it out of my mind.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have the same problem after putting in 15 hours all i want to do is sleep but my wife has a tv going in the room all night long with them stupid sit coms like king of queens and 2 broke girls on all night. cant sleep with them and the phony laugh tracks. what the hell she sleeps all day anyway.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have this happen sometimes, with a twist. I'll have impossible time getting to sleep.

Then I wake up with my pager going off, and think I need to run to the fire station.

But, I no longer have a pager; our fire dept ended our volunteer fire program a couple years ago(we were mixed dept; they went from paid crew AND volunteer, to just paid crews). I was there for about 16 years; you have a pager that could go off any time to respond to an emergency.

The "Song of my people" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJvpOJNX5mc

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Just lay there. You will at least rest your body. Sooner or later you will sleep. You sure won't if you are up watching TV.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Get a Kindle Paperwhite. It's backlit, so you can read with the lights off. Download a book from your local library. When you go to bed, just read until you fall asleep (should only take 10 to 20 minutes). Works every time.

Angelface

Get a Kindle Paperwhite. It's backlit, so you can read with the lights off. Download a book from your local library. When you go to bed, just read until you fall asleep (should only take 10 to 20 minutes). Works every time.

Thank you everyone! Im going to try some of these and yes now I have an excuse to get one!