• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ghost plane crash

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. This happened last week 4 hours away. A small Cessna plane crashed. When investigators got there, there were no signs of a pilot in the plane and no signs of footprints leaving it in the snow. Very strange. Looks like the plane originated from a flight school in Michigan. They suspect the pilot must have jumped from the plane at some point shortly before it crashed.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/ghost-plane-crashes-east-of-marathon-564571

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we had a crash here in the fog,the pilot wouldn't key the lights at the controlled runway rather,tried to do a night landing on an uncntrolled strip to avoid law enforcement. seems he had a plane load of drugs and he ran out of gas trying to find a fog free place to land. I might add he is now a nominee for the Darwin awards

thepooguy

there have been instances when a plane has flooded out and the throttle pulled wide open to try and clear the gas....then battery goes dead...pilot tries to prop start ...and well...it works and flaps are down and plane takes off and flies on its own till out of fuel and crashes. It happens more than you would think. what an oh shit moment!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Please cite a documented example of this, Poolguy.

I've been flying and involved in aviation for over 30 years and with exception of a couple of disproved urban legends, I have never seen proof of a pilotless plane departing.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have herd of some hand propped ski planes doing that never any thing with wheels and brakes also never herd of one taking off. I suppose a cub could do it with the right wind.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Think of all the events/conditions that would have to be perfect for an unmanned aircraft to take off all on its own. Center of runway, very little/no crosswind, a completely smooth surface, straight steering down the runway, a perfectly behaved dead stick, etc.

thepooguy

not sure what "documented" qualifies as but thttp://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/pilot-fined-after-small-plane-takes-off-without-him-1.3613076here are lots of these out there.
"

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I can find newspaper articles about UFOs landing in people yards which doesn't make it true either.

I have flown both Champs and 172s and neither will take off with out pilot input. Period. A Champ will be out of balance without a person in the front seat. This means it will not be stable and won't fly, it will flip over backward.

Believe what you want. I still call it bs. They will find the pilot, either dead or alive.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My thoughts are that the pilot wanted to commit suicide and what better way to do it than get the plane in the air and bail over lake superior.