• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OEM Software

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone had any experience buying/selling OEM software on eBay?
Let's say a piece of hardware, like a printer, is purchased and comes bundled with a full version of Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard. The software has it's own serial number and can be registered independently of the printer. Let's assume the person buying the printer doesn't need the software and would like to sell it.
eBay has rules about selling OEM software but they seem to be written specifically for Microsoft OEM software. Those rules state that the OEM software (usually MS Office) can only be sold on the original hardware it came installed on. Well, this Adobe software didn't come installed on anything, it just came along in the box.
Adobe's anti-piracy initiative recommends for a consumer: "Don't buy software labeled "For Bundles Only" without the appropriate hardware." It goes on to say in the FAQ's section:
Is it legal to install an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of software on a computer other than the one on which the software came?

No. OEM software agreements specifically cover software that is pre-loaded onto hardware for sale; it is a violation of the license with the software publisher to sell this software without the hardware.

Here again, this software is not installed on any hardware at the time of purchase.
I just want to get opinions on this subject from you folks. Thanks.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Opinions on if what you say is true, or opinions on if it is a logical law/EULA?

Opinions on how everyone interprets the law/EULA.

Also I want to hear feedback from anyone who has bought/sold OEM software and if they have had problems registering the software, qualifying for upgrades, etc.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I broke down and spent the money on a full retail version of the software I was looking at. I guess I can say I'm fully legal now :smileywac.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I broke down and spent the money on a full retail version of the software I was looking at. I guess I can say I'm fully legal now :smileywac.

Good move. The software you could buy via ebay should work okay, but would not be legal.
I did not realize the EULA read that way. I've used software purchased with one machine on another machine, but not at the same time and I thought I was legal. Depending on when this law went into affect maybe I was illegal. :eek:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Crap if I can get it to register and run (for personal use) I'm happy.

Software licensing is a big mess these days. One disgruntled employee complaining to the BSA (Business Software Alliance) can cause some serious headaches for a company.