• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PC's from ebayers

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would check with neighbors/friends before buying off e-bay. I think you may find for these particular needs, you can get them cheap or free from people you know.

Eric L

Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I would check with neighbors/friends before buying off e-bay. I think you may find for these particular needs, you can get them cheap or free from people you know.

I would think so, but most of my friends burn 'em down before they toss 'em. We're not a real "tech-ey" group, if ya know what I mean. It'd be real obsolete by the time they got done with it too.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm a little scared of buying that sort of thing of eBay but if the seller's reputation is good then it might be worth a try. You can buy some cheap new systems these days.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eric,

I did purchase a PC for the kids a few years back. The monitor arrived DOA but the PC worked.
As PB said, make sure the seller is reputable. I let the guy know it was DOA and he sent me a new one, no charge (including shipping).

jwstewar

bczoom said:
Eric,

I did purchase a PC for the kids a few years back. The monitor arrived DOA but the PC worked.
As PB said, make sure the seller is reputable. I let the guy know it was DOA and he sent me a new one, no charge (including shipping).

Heck, for $181 the XP license (if it is legit) and if something else is good it would be worth that much.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
A lot of the stuff that you find on eBay that has been "cleaned" or refurbished, has Windows ME on it..... the XP requires a verification of authentic if you want to get the updates....

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW - What do your kids want to do?

If they have software games or whatever, confirm the OS requirements before buying.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Also might want to look at CompUsa online auctions. I've bought my last 2 from there. They are usually new 'puters returned for whatever reason and repaired if needed. The last one was returned for a bad modem. Still had a bad modem when I bought it :mad: But for $10 or so it was good to go.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
THat machine in your link is CRAP. Im a custom Computer builder and I also repair them. PLEASE trust me when I say, it is a piece of junk.
At least spend $400 on a new computer. And I HIGHLY suggest do NOT get Vista. Get Windows XP Home. At this time, Vista is very buggy.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
For the price of a new one, it is not worth buying a used one off of Ebay, if you need one now, you can get a decent new one for about 400. If you can wait, watch the sales or wait for the Friday after Thanksgiving, Best Buy has some steals if you want to wait in line.

If there is a problem with the used one, that you have shown the link for, by the time you pay for it, the shipping and the shipping back you have almost paid for a new one.