• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Generator covertion to natural gas

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Two weekends in a row now I've had to run my generator 5 hours last Saturday and 8-1/2 hrs yesterday. Gasoline is getting to be a pain in my ass. I've looked at both of the big conversion kit sites (US Carb & Century Fuel) and they are about the same price for conversion kits to tri-fuel; $187 - $199. I'm just wondering if there's less costly alternative to these kits. I will actually mainly be running natural gas, as the unit is too heavy and awkward for me to take it portable.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos of back yard mechanics using drills, JB Weld and scrap 1/4" tube with water flow control valves, and frankly they make me nervous. Anyone done these backyard conversions on a wing & a prayer that turned out OK?

Off to spend the afternoon with the grandkids. Be back later this evening.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
don't do it the gas conversion kits have solenoids and diaphragm regulators to make things run reliable and safe also propane will need a heater to keep the super cool gas from freezing up in cold weather. I do by the way have some experience with this stuff as one of our trucks run off of propane gas. if you want to run it off of a 100 pound propane cylinder drop me some info and I will forward it to some one who can supply you with a kit to do a lpg conversion

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, Don. I figured when the makes of the YouTube videos had a problem putting sentences together, their expertise might be in question. :whistling:Lots of backyard experimenters end up blowing themselves up to save a few bucks. i think I'll just order the kit and do it right.

FWIW, I went to my local ham club last Wednesday, and lo & behold, there is WL7BDO, Carl from Nenana, AK. Carl was one of two AK contacts I made during the 10m contest back in December. Turns out Carl was originally from about 5 miles away from where I live here in Ohio, and he moved to AK decades ago, but comes back periodically to visit family. Just happens this trip was when we had our meeting, and he had been a member before moving away. He was my first long distance contact I was fortunate enough to meet face to face.