• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Getting Code on car

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
The check engine light went on so I drove over to AUtozone and got it read. P0420. It seems that the catalytic converter is giving me an error code. That or the o2 sensors have failed. I dont have to much $$$. Will letting it go like that do any harm ya think?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
It's common for O2 sensors to fail. Ignore it...until it's emission check time. :rolleyes: Until then, you'll get poor gas mileage, stink up the city, and eventually burn out your catalytic converter. Or you could always just go buy a new one and swap it out yourself.

PG, I don't think he shaved it. I think his cats licked it flat. :smileywac

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
NO...... :huh: I didnt shave off all my hair and my cats did NOT lick my hair flat. Ewwwwwww :yuk: And I think next month I have the test. I better double check.

redragtop

Want to fix the problem & not pay the big $:smile:, get a Chilton or Haynes manual. Look up the code usualy the 02 sensor, very seldom the cat. Go on e-bay buy the parts, basic step by step repair. Go through this with my toyota every once in a while. No big deal. After 9 years of running it and this is my most expensive problem, it is a piece of cake.:hide:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Want to fix the problem & not pay the big $:smile:, get a Chilton or Haynes manual. Look up the code usualy the 02 sensor, very seldom the cat. Go on e-bay buy the parts, basic step by step repair. Go through this with my toyota every once in a while. No big deal. After 9 years of running it and this is my most expensive problem, it is a piece of cake.:hide:

Thanks man. I think I'll get the 2 o2 sensors and be done with it. Bobcat mentioned I would get poor gas mileage and possibly ruin the converter which isnt acceptable.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks man. I think I'll get the 2 o2 sensors and be done with it. Bobcat mentioned I would get poor gas mileage and possibly ruin the converter which isnt acceptable.

Don't let Polecat scare ya on the cat converter .I ran my car for a year with that light on and nothing was harmed . The stink you put out ,may be from the constant farting you do . The O2sensor usually gets rain water thrown on it and being screwed into the converter it gets hot and them water hits it and it gets ruined . It is a common problem in the winter . Those O2sensors are not cheap$$$ . You may have about 4 on the car . The code tells you which one is out . Only replace the one that needs replacing .

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't let Polecat scare ya on the cat converter .I ran my car for a year with that light on and nothing was harmed . The stink you put out ,may be from the constant farting you do . The O2sensor usually gets rain water thrown on it and being screwed into the converter it gets hot and them water hits it and it gets ruined . It is a common problem in the winter . Those O2sensors are not cheap$$$ . You may have about 4 on the car . The code tells you which one is out . Only replace the one that needs replacing .

Seems to be bank one which is on the passenger side. Im just worried about long term effects. Well, that and spending more money on gas.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
don't buy the manuals for the car until you've checked to local library to see if they have one you can borrow for free.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
don't buy the manuals for the car until you've checked to local library to see if they have one you can borrow for free.

Who said I didnt have em? :unsure: I do have them actually, but I generally use the one on the internet. Hey I just found this:

P0420 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionCatalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

What does that mean?The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

SymptomsYou will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.

CausesA code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
Retarded spark timing
The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Possible SolutionsSome suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 code include:

Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
Replace the catalytic converter
One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
cool.
have fun crawling under the car tomorrow trying to figure out which it is - bad sensor or exhaust leak...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gosh Paul, even I own a Chilton's Manual.
My brother in law suggested I find one, and I did at a flea market.
I'll never use it because I am hopeless when it comes to anything other than putting gas in the tank, replacing windshield washer blades, changing a tire.
All my car services (like changing oil, replacing battery etc) have to be in the capable hand of either trusty Jim or Harry.
Two local guys who understand I am a dunce when it comes to my car, and they don't charge me much either for the service. :D

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
cool.
have fun crawling under the car tomorrow trying to figure out which it is - bad sensor or exhaust leak...

I know where the O2 sensors are. When I get the car raised up I'll check (again) on how the exhaust is. last time I had er up it was solid. No rust.

American Woman

Site Supporter
We got a new lock gas cap and the engine light comes on ALL the time because of something to do with putting it back on the wrong way.....How many ways do you screw on gas cap anyway?