• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

On The Hook

J5 Bombardier

What started out as a day of skidding wood came to an abrupt end after I hit a buried stump when my left track was spinning.It was my first suspected axle that I've ever broke, I'll take it apart tomorrow. My neighbour came to the rescue and towed it to my garage, I wouldn't want to do that job in the bush. Anybody got a spare in their back pocket ?
J5 Bombardier:pat:

Attachments

• DSCN2356.jpg
    DSCN2356.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 333

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What started out as a day of skidding wood came to an abrupt end after I hit a buried stump when my left track was spinning.It was my first suspected axle that I've ever broke, I'll take it apart tomorrow. My neighbour came to the rescue and towed it to my garage, I wouldn't want to do that job in the bush. Anybody got a spare in their back pocket ?

Not back pocket but back building most likely axle gear in the diff or the internal pinion in the diff we have all of that used
or new

Last edited:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your mishap, J5 Bombardier !!

You are very, very lucky to have a neighbour who can rescue you :thumb:

J5 Bombardier

Well this suck's ! It's to nice a day to be broke down and in the shop, but it could have been alot deeper and harder to get at ! I'll send a PM to you Boggie.

Attachments

• DSCN2362.jpg
    DSCN2362.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 287

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
OUCH !!!

Seems a little amazing to me that the axle snapped so neatly ?

Hope you get it fixed up without any further problems .

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Bombardier Parts:

I'm trapped at my office, it's -37, -63 with the wind chill! They have some crane setting a module by the camp so that area is off limits. Hope they get done before chow time. There used to be a bombardier dealer in Seattle. When they closed out the Dealer in RENO NV. got the franchise area. The 'other' dealer was in Salt Lake. Neither would sell into the others franchise area, both were expensive. But the regional distributor was in Calgary Ab. and they were reasonably priced. They also wouldn't sell to anyone in another's franchised area, but I would just GO to Calgary. The best thing is to find a "friend" in Canada and get them to purchase the parts for you. The folks at Calgary were nice to deal with and as the regional distributor they had almost everything in stock. When they didn't have something in stock, and some J5 parts are no longer manufactured, they got items from their plant which I believe is in Quebec. Having a friend there would be ideal. There is also a dealer in Toronto that stocks many of the parts. I've lost his number, but he advertises in the Canadian Heavy Equipment Trader, which is where I found some of the best used snow cat deals. Snow Trac's and Bombardier's showed up there regularly, an once in awhile there would be a RAIDTRAC. The things they no longer stock were gas pedals, fuel tank floats.... that sort of stuff. The Big Important parts like Grousers, Sprockets, Tranny Parts, were all stock items that were still available.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Also BOGGIE has a HUGE inventory of Bombardier parts! If he doesnt have it he has the blue prints to make it. PM him as well.

dansvan

Looks like it may have twisted off. All the weight and inertia along with the engine torque multplied by the gearbox coming to a sudden stop while hitting the stump. Somethings got to give.

J5 Bombardier

Well I'm off the hook, went through my scrap collection found some axles right under my nose. Had to build it up and turn to size, got it back together yesterday and test drove today. New axle on the right in picture , The old one had a stress crack visible in the snap ring groove where it broke , but it's 40 plus years old !
Boggie did you figure out which one off the big 3 made those carriers ?
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• DSCN2376.jpg
    DSCN2376.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN2381.jpg
    DSCN2381.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 175

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm off the hook, went through my scrap collection found some axles right under my nose. Had to build it up and turn to size, got it back together yesterday and test drove today. New axle on the right in picture , The old one had a stress crack visible in the snap ring groove where it broke , but it's 40 plus years old !
Boggie did you figure out which one off the big 3 made those carriers ?
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Yes,we have supplied the T-16 to some collectors, Universal or Bren Gun Carrier
The British Commonwealth forces in World War II fielded the Universal Carrier, produced and used in England, Canada, and Australia as the Universal or Bren Gun Carrier, as well as in the U.S. as the T-16. The unit was used to tow artillery and in various other support and transportation roles as gun carriage and general purpose light armor.

Five models were produced during WW II:

Universal Mark I: produced by Ford of Canada.
Universal Mark II: minor upgrade of Mk I.
T-16: U.S. upgrade with an additional road wheel, produced by Ford
Windsor: Canadian upgrade with an additional road wheel
Loyd: British variant produced in small numbers. :thumb:

Heres a link to a Bren http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owpPZCc77wY

Last edited: