• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNOW TRAC WHEELS - help me find parts

nikos

Jim VT Hey

I will try to tell you the image of the state adout the trucks.
The metall cleats are in very dood condition, just rusty from inactivity, have not worked, and i think that need no form of intervantion. ( I could do them - galvanized, but because i am hurry to walk in the snow .....i hope to understand)

The rubber belts, are new as the nuts and the bolts.
What i kept it from the old track, among with the metall cleats, are the segments allouminioum, on which the screws are held, and of course the guides.

In the left track i had no problem, just at the beginning i started working with Key EU prlug No 13 and had troubles unscrewing. The screws are not forced to rotate and making use cutter ahd this delay enough.
In the process i discovered that the screws were in inches 1/2 and bought new tools for the impact wrenches.

We are currently working on the right side, and the olny problem is that.
Some of the guides are missing (3-4).

At the same pace i will continue,in the right side, BUT CAN SOMEONE IN THE FORUM tell me where can i get the guides that are missing- broken.

If someone are intersting to replaced the metal cleats, any sujestions.

mackE

Attachments

• 181.jpg
    181.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 784

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim you can't mix the grousers the ones you have picturedare for a 2 band track his are for a 3 band track the bolt holes are in the wrong locaton also those stamped grousers are a lot weaker

nikos

FULL Metal (Jacket) rubber in -29c.:yum:

These jobs (Restoration ) are usually held in the summer, when the weather is suitable and there is time. The impact wrenches, stops and can not work because the air is frozen.

Attachments

• 187.JPG
    187.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 189.JPG
    189.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 734

nikos

I am working in the right side of the truck.
The left is ok
Gradually the progress of the work is satisfactory and hopefully on Monday I have finished the belt tension.

Attachments

• 184.JPG
    184.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 707
  • 193.JPG
    193.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 725
  • 195.JPG
    195.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 723

nikos

we are ready for the tension.
The weather has improved it - 10 c :w00t2:.
The problem is that the track was very hard from the cold, and it is difficult to stretch- tension it.
It is different if the temperature is not appropriate

Attachments

• 186.JPG
    186.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 706
  • 198.JPG
    198.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 728
  • 199.JPG
    199.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 719

nikos

I hope to finish soon. The weather is appropriate because it preserves the snow in good condition.

Attachments

• DSC09967.JPG
    DSC09967.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC09998.JPG
    DSC09998.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 709

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I can understand working in the cold building and air tools and hands don't work too well. I use several of theses type of heaters to warm up whatever I am working on. they help a lot.RHseries-thumb.jpg

nikos

In fact things were not as positive in terms of weather.
The air machine and the boiler was in the backyard (north side), and the evening,- nights, usually had free time - I worked, the cold air frozed the outer parts.
In the left part of the garage that i worked there was no heating, in contrast to other parts heated by the boiler and the daily work to repair the car did not stop at all.

The place I work mainly for parking and storage of agricultural machinery and there is space to have a great luxury.
First of all has great ceiling, and the temperature will be transferred to the roof. Fortunately, the ST4 was not placed on the side was the old tractor, (doors windows), because there, the ice was freezed the door.

Any heating appliance will be lost in the huge space. It's like we put a hair dryer to warm a room.

nikos

Hi guys

The weather today was fantastic.:w00t2: At noon Monday in an hour, 3 until 4 a.m we finished the stretch - tension of the tracks.:wow:

In the forums I have attended the efforts stretch of track with the help of appropriate tools (track jack ) and successful attempts with homemade tool (track jack ).

I wanted to build a homemade tool, and ι bought all the metal parts.
I was ready to connect them to use in the tension.
Eventually I decided to use something different.

The straps with metal hooks, which we use in trucks or platforms for holding loads. The mechanism is simple, by moving the lever tightens the straps and move items of the track.

In our case, each track is positioned left and right straps, and pulled up to come to the two straight edges.
For the best stretch, followed this tactic - approach.

α) We left the ST4 up on blocks - jacks and moved the track by
hand onto the guides.

b) We removed the front wheel to be no resistance and within
minutes the screws join two edges.

Then once insure the two compounds (6 bolts - screws) to track and making sure that everything is OK,

c) place the front wheel in place. To do this we placed a jack on the
inside of the box and pushed the track down.

Pressing the foot on the outer side of the track in two minutes the wheel was placed in position.

In the same way and was left track.

It is a little different way but was unsuccessful. Each method has drawbacks and advantages.
In this case allows us to move it freely and tracks and tighten same loose screws better.

I hope I gave some new ideas on how we tension the track.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 714
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 691
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 699
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 703
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 688
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 688
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 686
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 707
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 694

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well have you taken it for a ride i went in to the hills with mine on an aanimal veiwing charter last weekend temp was 0 f this morning it's - 20

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't think you would have to go far when it isn't hunting season.
Do you get many tourist?

nikos

The next step is to repair the tank. Outside it has superficial rust, but the problems are inside.
Apparently because of many months of downtime substitutes gasoline have created a black layer. So water vapor in sidewalls. (Rust- dirty)

I started by placing a chain and bolts left over from the tracks, oil and shake and Shake well.
I think the tank takes much work, but I intend to replace the float and parts supply of gasoline along the way.

Temporarily put an outboard fuel tank to 30 liters of approximately 6.6 gallons in the front near the engine.

believe in this way that I will have time
a) and the ST4 can move without problems with dirty Tank
b) I will have time to repair the original tank.

I've also ordered a spare container with 30 liters of spatiality other - 6.6

JimVT tell me your opinion.
How long and how far away I can cover with these quantities of 13 gallons of fuel

Attachments

• 173.JPG
    173.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 650
  • 227.JPG
    227.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 645
  • 232.JPG
    232.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 636
  • 234.JPG
    234.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 643

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My last trip I climbed a 6 to 8% grade with 12" fresh snow for 12 miles. Down hill on the way back and my 5 US gallon boat tank had 1/2 inch remaining. My GPS said 27miles total. I have a strong 40hp with a larger carb. Two people and not much gear but two batteries and tools.
I was told those tanks are troublesome .Some times on a hill it will not pull any gas.
Jim

nikos

Hi everybody in the forum

JimVT
About those tanks ( outboard fuel tank) are troublesome. Some times on a hill it will not pull any gas.

The pump gasoline in the engine does not help ? if the scale climbing hills is rising.

A naive question?
From the pictures the red tanks located on the right side. What serves this, with regard to placement on the left side?

Does the placement of the tank on the right side, has to do with the
direction of the pipes to the fuel pump?

Attachments

• marine2_Page_157_Image_0007.jpg
    marine2_Page_157_Image_0007.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 609

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The stock snow trac tank is what I am told as being troublesome. It May be just when they are old ...They did used them untill the production stopped. The plastic boat tanks work good . I use a 5gal and a small 2.5 gallon boat thank tied on the rear for a reserve. It isn't connected.You can see it on the last picture.
I usually get 6 to 9 mpg . It depends on if I am just out playing or traveling.
I have seen two tanks one on each side but I don't think the extra fuel line hose would make much differnce if you wanted on the left. Lyndon always unplugged his after running because it syfened down and flooded the engine. I never have had that problem. He said with this setup if you pump gives up it will still run without the pump.
Be sure to open the tank vent.
with the boat tank you have more storage in the rear. I ues a 5 gallon but lyndon like larger sizes and has gone up to 20gallons .
Have you read "it's a surprise"?
Jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mine has an 18 gallon tank in good conditions i can get about 50 miles on 5 gallons last winter i took a trip to timber about 53 miles from nome with a lot of hills and soft snow pulling a trailer i was about 5 miles out of town when i had to add fuel i hope this helps you i have plans to build an aluminum tank to put back inside as i like the tank lower than the engine as i have had the needle valve stick open in the past and had fuel siphon through the carb and hydro lock the engine adilute the oil i now have a ball valve i shut off after i shut down the engine a modification i would suggest to all who do it this way i also have a small racore fuel water seperator filter attached so i can keep any water out of the carb

nikos

Hi guys

This time I have no specific job in the vehicle. Just wait for the new 40-liter tank about 9 gallons that I ordered.

I also have ordered the running lights, and two great headlights on the front, and two small in case of reverse.

Ι will replace three switches with new one, i will put a new battery and i change cables, fuses, bulbs with problem.

JimVT, dds, and of course Lyndon, Τhe magnificent in " its a surpise part A" Thanks for the valuable informations and the fotos.

While i am waiting for the orders (Tank, headlights etc) I am not in the garage. From my Workshop i do some calculations on the consumption of gasoline - fuel in the ST4.

According to information filed by JimVT and the DDS

JimVT Says 6-9 miles per Gallon for his ST4

This mean +- 7,5 miles per gallon.
1 gallon = 4,5 Litre
1 mile = 1,600 Km
7,5 miles = 12 Km
for 12 Km JimVT needs 4,5 Litre or 1 gallon.

dds says that he need 5 gallons for 50 miles

This mean 50 miles = 80 km
for 80 km needs 5 gallons
5 gallon = 22,5 litre
For 80 km dds needs 22,5 litre.

With simple calculations I thought that JimVT your engine (1200 cc) consume a little more gasoline than the dds.
Probably you climb high mountains - hills, in contrast to the dss that can moves around on flat ground.

It is interesting to deposit and other experiences related to the consumption of gasoline fuel in Snowtrac

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do run in the mountains and also play some. We have that fuel that is mixed 10% of ethanol.

nikos

JimVT my friend
I know that the snow is out there, and waiting for us.
If someone want not to consume gasoline - fuel, would be better to sit in front of a fireplace and its beter to thrown woods into the fire.

We chose to have fun in another way during the winter time.

The discussion is to figure out and understand, + - about the size of the distances I have during a walk in the snow with family and friends.
I do not want to start and find ourselves without fuel in the middle of nowhere.

Of course everything depends on factors such as
a) The distance you need to go.
B) The scale ascent (mountain, hill, valley).
c) The load will carry.

and of course a number of other factors having to do with the maintenance of the engine, how we drive the ST4, how big is the tank that we have ( gallon- litre), and of course if we have fuel supplies. (Another small tank with us).

Ι Do these calculations because I think, i am just before the end, to test the capabilities of ST 4 in the snow. ok

nikos

hI Gys
Wednesday 8 -2-2012
The materials I have ordered just arrived. Since the weekend the weather has changed. There is heavy snowfall across the region.

Big problems from heavy snowfalls are all areas in the Balkan countries (Yugoslavia, Croatia, Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, and northern regions of Greece). Snowing continuously for five days.

I returned to the garage and started work
I placed the tank (40 litres - 9 gallons) on the left side, and I connected the fuel supply line to fuel pump.

Along with the electric technician began to connect the cables for the new headlights and replacements to the old switches and fuses etc.

I hope the problems of connecting cables may not be large. We use the designs with colored wires and try to find an edge.

Subsequent reports, questions and queries you have to do with wiring problems ok.

Regards nikos

Attachments

• DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 691
  • 238.JPG
    238.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 244.JPG
    244.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 697
  • 246.JPG
    246.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 690
  • 242.JPG
    242.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 689

nikos

It,s still alive :w00t2::w00t2:
After some hours checking out the electronic circuit, we changed the damaged cables, bulbs, and fuses.

The first impression is that no serious damage to the electronic facility (rust - wire cutting), and the stream from the new battery normally carried in the circuits - instruments. :smile:
Of course where you need replacement equipment (switches, cables, fuses) will put new materials, to support both headlights front and two behind the door.

What will be difficult is that we do not know yet, in what condition is the wiper mechanism - Motor Bosch 12v.

Τhe heating of the F4 function normally, but I wiil remove it. I have some ideas but at this stage would not dare to implement them. Maybe this summer I will have more time.

Attachments

• 250.JPG
    250.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 664

nikos

HEY Guys

I have a dumb question. How do - work the rear lights.
Inside there are three bulbs ok.
a) The Medium is the choice of right or left direction.
b)The top if I'm not mistaken is for running lights.
c) The lower bulb is the stop (especially in light of the truck when
we press the brake pedal).

In the brake mechanism in ST4 we have not something special (a sensor) to transfer the order or the appearance of the vehicle wants to stop, in the back light.

So how it does work the third lamp ?

Regards Nikos

Attachments

• 244.jpg
    244.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 644
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 645

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
nikos,

There should be a preasure switch to turn on the brake lights on or near the brake master cylinder on the firewall ahead of the drivers seat. When you press the brake peddal, you create preasure in the brake lines. This closes the switch, and your brake lights come on. Brakes are very important in a Snow Trac. Some day if you do not have brakes, you will run into something....

nikos, your machine is far to nice to have a big dent from a tree or rocks, ect. Make sure your brakes work well. You will be needing them soon, it looks like.

Best regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
s mine is an off road vehicle with no brakes yet i never added brake lights i have plenty of other lights to announce i.m not moving as fast as the other traffic when i'm on the road

nikos

Hey Kirk,and dds thanks guys.
I had already replaced the entire brakes system with entirely new components.(brake shoe - sping)
I dont want to have my ST4 without brakes and lights.

a funny
Imagine that you have no brakes in your ST4 and you want to stop the vehicle, and there is no tree or rock around, what do you do in this case.
Reply.
You open the back door and throw the anchor:yum::yum::yum:

So after careful study (fotos ) of the area in front of the driver's seat at last discovered America:yum::yum::yum: The master cilynder
I will try to detect if I let the brake cable offline.:ermm:

The best regards Nikos.

Attachments

• 130.JPG
    130.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 639

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there's a reason i have no brakes i have a size 12 us add on propeer foot gear for this reagon there is no way with out curse words or other way im getting muy foot on the brake or gas peddal with out putting my foot on both some day i want to set up a braking system with a hand brake for now i just shut down the engine and let out the clutch in a lower gear or coast a short distance to a stop