• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ASUS Laptop, just one year old ...screen will not come on

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I paid extra for this ASUS laptop 10 or 11 months ago. When building desktops ASUS was always a great mother board, so I thought they'd make a good laptop. It was okay, nothing fantastic but this week it would not wake up from sleep mode. So I set the OS never to go to sleep, but the screen still did (sleep). Nothing could wake it so that the screen would come on, set it aside and a few hours later the screen comes on. Use it for awhile, set so the screen never goes to sleep. Guess what, it goes to sleep anyway. I can power off and back on. Hear the computer going through it's motions but nothing on the screen. So frustrating.

Searching on this issue I read that ASUS had this problem with their laptops back in 2009. A mobo issue. Geesh.
I'm guessing it is not the same issue but the result is the same. No laptop. Arrgggg. :soapbox:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I have had this issue on a few Asus laptops and the only cure was to go in to the power settings in the control panel and set everything to "never" and don't run a screen saver, even my daughters new Asus running windows 8 had the issue,it is more so on the setting on what the laptop does when you close the lid.

And keep an eye on them power settings as on the odd occasion when i have done a windows update it has changed the bloody settings without me knowing.

I am pretty sure this is a windows power setting issue rather than a Asus issue.

Last edited:

Galvatron

Doc i forgot to say you may have missed a little trick in getting in to the settings to get this sorted,have you tried plugging in a external monitor so you have access to play with the settings??

I would also have a look at what the wake up option it is set on.

Last edited:

Galvatron

If all else fails on boot up go in to your bios settings and set it to boot from disk and re-install the bugger....thats all i got:yum::yum::yum:

Good luck.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I paid extra for this ASUS laptop 10 or 11 months ago. When building desktops ASUS was always a great mother board, so I thought they'd make a good laptop. It was okay, nothing fantastic but this week it would not wake up from sleep mode. So I set the OS never to go to sleep, but the screen still did (sleep). Nothing could wake it so that the screen would come on, set it aside and a few hours later the screen comes on. Use it for awhile, set so the screen never goes to sleep. Guess what, it goes to sleep anyway. I can power off and back on. Hear the computer going through it's motions but nothing on the screen. So frustrating.

Searching on this issue I read that ASUS had this problem with their laptops back in 2009. A mobo issue. Geesh.
I'm guessing it is not the same issue but the result is the same. No laptop. Arrgggg. :soapbox:

Have you contacted ASUS about this problem? With a less than 1 year old ASUS, it may still be under warranty, or possibly under a recall.

I had a similar situation with a tablet keyboard. ASUS sent me a new keyboard without returning the original.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have had my share of computer problems lately so I know how frustrating they can be.The computer I'm using now won't shut down. There is an update that is in some kind of loop and I can't get it to stop running so this is preventing shut down. I've tried many tricks but to no avail.

My computer will go to sleep, but not shutdown. I also got rid of my cable and internet service and am using wifi from my apartment complex. So far so good, and I got wifi security just in case.

My old computer died and I boght a cheap laptop from Dell. It had Windows 8.1 and that really sucks. It runs worse than this older laptop with Windows 7 on it. Catavenger warned me about Windows 10. I'm happy with this little laptop now.

I'm thinking that they only cure for sonme of these problems with computers is a .45 right through the heart of the damn thing. :2gunsfiri

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears to be a weird driver issue with Windows 10.
ASUS FAQ
Windows 10 - After I upgrade to Windows 10, my system boots to black screen, flashing screen, or reboots continuously

http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013356

Trying this potential solution now. Fingers are crossed.

Weird thing is my laptop has been running Windows 10 for weeks before this issue came up.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the solution did not work. No way to get the network connected in 'safe' mode, and that is all I can boot in with this issue. I need the network to do the windows update which they say would put in the correct / updated drivers.

But this way to boot (power off and on 3 times) gets me to safe mode where I can opt to recover back to Windows 8.1. So that is what I'm trying now.

Galvatron

could you not go to asus and get all their drivers and install them rather than rely on the windows versions via another pc and memory stick??

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
could you not go to asus and get all their drivers and install them rather than rely on the windows versions via another pc and memory stick??
I was at the Asus site, that is where the link with the fix was from. Their solution is windows update. I did not see a way to get to their drivers and the drivers in place were reported as working as they are supposed to when obviously they were not. I'm frustrated and just want this fixed. Backing out of Windows 10 seems the best route for me at this point. I'll tell you for sure once it is done. I have to reinstall all my software but its supposed to leave my files along. Time will tell. LOL

Galvatron

sadly Doc this shit happens when it comes to new software....thanks for your input as i am in no way upgrading to 10 for the time being,with reports of printers not working and the shit you have had it does not yet justify me upgrading,clearly only the latest gizmo's stand a healthy chance of working with it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the laptop back up and running. I used the recover option. I thought this would put me back to Windows 8.1. It did not. It put me back to Windows 10, with all updated drivers and all appears to be working. Still leery of Win 10. I normally do not jump to anything new so quickly, and I think my issues were because I jumped early. All worked okay until my first reboot and then all I had was a blank screen.

I need Windows for Photoshop and a couple other handy programs but for the most part I'm planning to use VMware and run a Linux virtual server (or two) and spend most my time using Linux. Less spyware, viruses and issues over all (I hope).