• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windows 8.1

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Question for the computer savy. I bought a cheap Dell laptop when my computer crashed this month and I couldn't get revive it. The laptop has Windows 8.1 on it and I hate it, that is why I'm using this tiny 7 inch screen Inspiron mini. I want to scrub the new laptop clean and reload it with Windows 7. I tried doing it from a web site but the download failed, I think because I'm now using wifi. Before I take it to my IT guy I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible to do that?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Easily done with a disk,but as i found with most laptops these days they have partitions loaded with the retailers shit that you dont want or need so make sure your IT guy wipes the hard drive clean and starts over fresh and windows 7 will run like a dream.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Easily done with a disk,but as i found with most laptops these days they have partitions loaded with the retailers shit that you dont want or need so make sure your IT guy wipes the hard drive clean and starts over fresh and windows 7 will run like a dream.

With my laptop I can't insert a disc, as there is no drawer for it, that is why it was so cheap. I talked to my guy this morning and he said because of the computer I have it's not possible because it was designed specifically for windows 8.1. He said that if I can download Windows 10 I should be OK. He did say that 8.1 was junk.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
he could have popped out the hard drive wiped it and installed it with windows 7 from a memory stick,i have done this and it works fine....the memory stick has to be formatted to a virtual drive but after that it is just like installing from disk....it is challenging if you dont know how but your IT guy should breeze it.

You can get the software to convert a memory stick for the USB install here....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I do this all the time with netbooks due to the lack of disk drive and have never had one beat me yet.

leadarrows

Another option.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Classic Shell™ is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it. The main features are:
  • Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
  • Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs
  • Find programs, settings, files and documents
  • Start button for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
  • Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
  • Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer
Classic Shell has been in active development for 5 years and has over 25 million downloads.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
1) Upgrade to win 10 and try it, you may like it.
2) You can download win 7 from digital river.
3) A program called. Rufus is free and will make the ISO you download a bootable flash drive.
4) before you do anything. If you do not have a factory recover cd or flash drive with the original win 8.1, make one just in case.
5) if you go the win 7 Route, make sure you have a valid win 7 serial number.