• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Earthquake in DC this morning

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We're @50 miles from the center. I was already up. Thought it was a sonic boom at first but it lasted a couple of seconds too long. Rattled the house a little.

WJLA - Earthquake Shakes D.C. Region

A minor earthquake shook residents awake in the DC area early Friday, rattling windows but apparently causing no serious damage.

And while Californians might scoff at the 3.6 magnitude quake, Susan Potter, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, said it was the strongest to hit within 30 miles of DC since they began keeping records.

The quake hit at 5:04 a.m. EDT and was centered near the Germantown, Md., according to the Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center. Baldwin said aftershocks could occur over the next couple days, but none had yet been reported. He said the aftershocks are generally of a smaller magnitude than the initial earthquake.

Police in Washington and in nearby Montgomery County, Md., said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

Tafelila Pilgrim, 78, was in the bathroom in Washington getting ready to start her day when the shaking started. A plastic glass of water she had placed on the sink fell and she said she shouted to her roommates. "I start screaming," she said. "I was afraid."

On the U.S. Geological Survey's website, people as far away as Pennsylvania and West Virginia reported feeling the quake.

Lucille Baur, public information officer for the Montgomery County Police Department, said the department received a lot of calls from people wondering what had happened.

Debby Taylor Busse said she was in the basement of her home in Vienna, Va., in Fairfax County when she felt the quake hit. She was already awake watching television, but her husband had been asleep in a second-floor bedroom when the tremor woke him.

"I didn't know what it was," Busse said. "I have never been in an earthquake before. It felt like an airplane going overhead or thunder, but it wasn't coming from above."

She said it lasted just a few seconds and compared it to a strong thunder strike - enough to rattle the house, but not enough to knock anything over.

Brett Snyder, who lives in Gaithersburg, Md., told AP Radio he was awakened by the quake but said it wasn't a big deal.
"It happened very instantaneously and then off to a day's work," Snyder said.

Washington resident Denver Turner was sitting at the computer answering e-mails when he felt the carpet begin to vibrate beneath his feet.

"I didn't know DC got earthquakes, really," Turner said. "Definitely my first experience and not something I'd want to go through on a greater scale."

The Washington area has had small, infrequent earthquakes over the years, including a 2.5-magnitude quake in 1997 that was within 25 to 30 miles of Friday's quake and a 2.3-magnitude quake in 1996 that was within 15 miles, Baldwin said.
"The thing that makes this (Friday's) earthquake distinctive is that is was felt widely over the region," he said.
---
Associated Press writers Matt Small and Jessica Gresko contributed to this report.

mak2

We had a 5. something a year or so ago. It was very early AM, I had just got up, got a cup of coffee and sat down in my chair downstairs. Everything was silent I had not yet picked up the remote control to turn on the TV. Bang, I thought one of my dogs fell out of bed (yea,they do that) and they weigh about 80 lbs a piece or more. I did not hear a dog get up and jump back in bed. The odd thing was how much it really creeped me out. I hear crashes and bangs all the time with all the kids and dogs, hell I hardly notice. But I inspected the house and outside, there were house alarms going off and then I turned on the news. But yea. for some reason earthquakes are scary.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was caused by vets in Arlington unhappy with Washington rolling over in their graves!

i'm about 25 miles away - felt the bed shake for a bit - but kinda in that half asleep stupor, felt like a motor running somewhere or one of the medivac copters flying over...pretty cool now that you know!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the bureaucrats in D.C. needed a warning to stop spending like fools.:yum:

WVBill

I'm out in the Shenandoah Valley toward Winchester. I'd just gotten up and felt it. Rattled a few of the nick-nacks here & there. Couldn't figure out what it was as it didn't seem like anything else we usually get out here in the sticks(big tractors, combines, trains, airplanes headed for Dulles, etc.).:whistling:

Even though I grew up in Southern California, and I know what earthquakes feel like I didn't put two-and-two together until I saw it in the news later on.