• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Passport requirements

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard that a passport will soon be required to travel to Canada, Mexico as well as the Caribbean.

I've also heard the price for a passport has gone through the roof. They're now super particular on the picture and stuff as well.

Anyone know the details?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I've heard that a passport will soon be required to travel to Canada, Mexico as well as the Caribbean.

I've also heard the price for a passport has gone through the roof. They're now super particular on the picture and stuff as well.

Anyone know the details?

Already in place for Canada. I almost got denied re-entry last year on a trip to Montreal. I was told that it was suggested, and not required to have a passport to get intoCanada, what I wasn't told was that it was required to get back into the United States! Luckily, after about a 15 minute interview where they searched my wallet (and man, let me tell you the little details they knew about me on their computer!), I was allowed to board the flight back to Chicago.

Passports are absolutely required to and from Canada.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,
I was just in Sarnia, ON 30 days ago. Crossed over at Port Huron. No passport required either direction.

December 31st if remember correctly.

Edit.......
From the US Department of State

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

* December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
* December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

It appears Jan. 23, 2007 is the date that's been set for most travelers entering the US have a passport. The exceptions include some military and US merchant mariners.

Passports are currently $97 + pictures.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Bump.

It appears Jan. 23, 2007 is the date that's been set for most travelers entering the US have a passport. The exceptions include some military and US merchant mariners.

Passports are currently $97 + pictures.

Upon the new listed requirements, I just had to procure 5 additional passports. :( My wife and I have had passports for decades. I've never had any passports for my kids. However, since I am taking the entire family on a Caribbean cruise in late January 2007, I was told that a passport would be required for each person. And, yes, they are expensive and, yes, they are extremely particular about the photo. It was not a very easy process, but I'm glad I planned ahead for this cruise. It took nearly 2 months to get all the passports for my kids. Even though they were all submitted at one time, they arrived separately over the course of about a week.

So, I don't have the new (it just changed again) passport requirements, I do know what Princess cruise line required. And, they said their requirements were per the Department of Homeland Security.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Someone told me that as of January 1st, passports will be required for all domestic air travel. Right or wrong????

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
According to this news article "The Homeland Security Department will require virtually all air travelers entering the United States after Jan. 23 to show passports — even U.S. citizens."

Dutch-NJ

I've never had a passport. Probably should get one just in case.

Last year my wife wanted to take 4 of our granchildren to Europe. Two of them never had passwords, the other two did.

The new passports came in less than 3 weeks (through regular channels).

The renewals took almost 2 months (even after asking for political help after the first mionth elapsed).

Go figure........................

I don't even have a valid drivers' license. So much BS for the new photo ID "6 point" license.

Like New Jersey doesn't know who I am after all these years. They know who I am, and where to find me to their collect taxes.

Earlier this year, my wife and daughter took a trip. My wife left ALL her IDs at home. A cop at the airport knew her and convinced the TSA to let her board, but she was warned she couldn't get back home.

She called and asked me to Fedex her papers to the hotel. Eventually, I did, but first I sent her an overnight letter telling her I couldn't find them and wished her a pleasant stay at Gitmo.

Last edited:

AndyM

Charter Member
bczoom said:
According to this news article "The Homeland Security Department will require virtually all air travelers entering the United States after Jan. 23 to show passports — even U.S. citizens."

Guess I'm the only one here who doesn't need a passport...
I've never been on a plane or left the country! As far as I've ever been, I can make the trip by car! :tiphat:

Will I need a passport to drive to West Virginia or Pennsylvania?

Last edited: