• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What engine is in this Snow Trac

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Attachments

• snow trac 1965.jpg
    snow trac 1965.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 926
  • snow trac 1964.jpg
    snow trac 1964.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 808
  • snow trac 1963.jpg
    snow trac 1963.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 803

OkeeDon

The description says it's an industrial "boxer" motor, 1600cc. The picture looks like the flat 4 that came in the VW Type 3 cars, known in the USA as the squareback. fastback abnd notchback models. My guess is that it's an industrial version of that flat 4. Attached is a picture of the Type 3 engine, showing how it fits flat under the floor instead of having the typical upright cooling fan. The other picture is of the typical Type 3 from which the engine comes.

One difference is that the engine I picture is fuel injected, while it appears that the industrial version in the Snow Trac is carbureted.

Attachments

• type3engine.jpg
    type3engine.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 793
  • type3.jpg
    type3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 793

OkeeDon

Whoops, looking at my picture again, I see that the Snow Cat has what appears to be a single carburetor in the middle, while the Type 3 engine I pictured has dual carburetors at the sides. I was confused because I found several pictures of Type 3 engines, some with FI, and a notation that the Type 3 was the first VW engine in the USA with FI.

J_Josue

The engine is a type 126A industrial. Very similar to the standard 1600cc, except it has extra crankshaft bearings and ports for lubrication. They commonly had rev limiter and automatic idler attachments and were used in things like electrical generators, air compressors, and were even used as small aircraft engines. I was able to purchase a maintenance book on the 126A engine from a used book store in Australia(don't ask how I found it, but it was the ONLY one I could find) last year that I would be happy to scan and post when I have time.

-Jon

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
J_Josué said:
The engine is a type 126A industrial. Very similar to the standard 1600cc, except it has extra crankshaft bearings and ports for lubrication. They commonly had rev limiter and automatic idler attachments and were used in things like electrical generators, air compressors, and were even used as small aircraft engines. I was able to purchase a maintenance book on the 126A engine from a used book store in Australia(don't ask how I found it, but it was the ONLY one I could find) last year that I would be happy to scan and post when I have time.

-Jon
Jon, welcome to the Forums! :wave:

It would be great if you can scan and post the manual. I always wondered what the difference was between an Industrial engine and a regular VW engine. I know they are very similar but did not know about the details.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
J_Josue said:

-Jon

Hey !!!! Welcome aboard!!!
WE can use all the information we can get ! Do you own a snow Trac ??? If Not , you can join my Kristi Cat klub and help me keep all these Snow Trac owners in line ! Hope to see you post often .
Big Al

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Hey !!!! Welcome aboard!!!
WE can use all the information we can get ! Do you own a snow Trac ??? If Not , you can join my Kristi Cat klub and help me keep all these Snow Trac owners in line ! Hope to see you post often .
Big Al

Jon, first let me apologize for Al. He bought the wrong snow machine, didn't learn from his mistake and bought another one, still didn't learn and went on a buying binge so now he owns most of the surviving Kristi snow cats on the planet :eek: He's lonely and looking for a friend :yum: But beware, there are other Kristi guys who lurk here on a regular basis, and while we poke fun at Al, we do let him teach us stuff sometimes.

Actually the Kristi KT2 and KT3 models both use a VW flat-4 boxer engine. Not sure if it is the industrial version of the regular version found in a VW Beetle or Bus.

For anyone who is an amature mechanic, or even worse a wanna-be-amature like me, let me recommend a book that is simple to read, simple to understand, and has helped me with more than a few issues I've had.

Attachments

• vw19.jpg
    vw19.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 714

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Jon, first let me apologize for Al. He bought the wrong snow machine, didn't learn from his mistake and bought another one, still didn't learn and went on a buying binge so now he owns most of the surviving Kristi snow cats on the planet :eek: He's lonely and looking for a friend :yum: But beware, there are other Kristi guys who lurk here on a regular basis, and while we poke fun at Al, we do let him teach us stuff sometimes.

Actually the Kristi KT2 and KT3 models both use a VW flat-4 boxer engine. Not sure if it is the industrial version of the regular version found in a VW Beetle or Bus.

For anyone who is an amature mechanic, or even worse a wanna-be-amature like me, let me recommend a book that is simple to read, simple to understand, and has helped me with more than a few issues I've had.

I don't read well but I like pretty pictures ! PlayBoy comes to mind but there are only a few pictures of motors or snow cats in it .
You know Bob , Big guys have big feelings and the way you Snot Trac owners are picking on me ,I might need to go into therapy soon .
But seriously The KT2 & KT3 have the VW motor and any information on VW engines would be good to have .
Also my source's tell me I "may"have saved one of you SnotTrac'ers from your own demise and future extinction . Rumor has it he is buying a "KRISTI". More on this later !

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Now wait a minute Big AL. I may be getting a KT2 but its for my kids to play in. We will see. So far they dont seem to thrilled with the idea. :D

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Also does anyone know who can and "SHOULD" rebuild my industrial VW engines? I will need two rebuilt but want absolute reliability and the engine pumped up a bit with a new set of hearders and heater boxes ect ect. All the goodies.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Also does anyone know who can and "SHOULD" rebuild my industrial VW engines? I will need two rebuilt but want absolute reliability and the engine pumped up a bit with a new set of hearders and heater boxes ect ect. All the goodies.

Hey Mike ??? I might be interested in having my KT3 engine rebulit also if we can get a better deal by volume . Just a thought .
Al

shanta

Banned
Just get a good VW machanic to do it. Our local ski club found a guy in Vancouver BC. Shipped the old one to him and in a few days they had it back and only 1500 or 2000 Canadian and it was better than new.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a " Pancake Motor" or "Suitcase engine" that came out of a VW Fastback or Squareback, 67 to 73+-. They produced more horsepower, usually around 65 Hp, tended to overheat, cought on fire alot because of rubber fuel lines between the 2 carbs. I've witnessed one burn up. Once the VW Magnesius case ignited there was no putting it out. The car was destroyed. If you have one of these make sure you use little hose clamps on all the fuel lines. There is a dead one of these( ST4 with Flat pack conversion) in terrible shape, at a minimg town just off the haulroad along the Trans Alaska Pipeline. The owner would probable sell it. The town is Livengood, about 100 miles north of Fairbanks.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ALL Kristi and ST4 ( Snow Trac) owners should have a copy of " How to Fix Your VW, a step by step manual for the complete Idiot" by John Muir. Don't be thrown off by the title. Practally every old VW hippie has one. It's up to about the 20th or 30 edition and a first edition is a collectors item ( Has spiral wire binder ) The next best thing is to have an old VW hippie buddy, cause he will have one. In the Trade it is referred to as " The Idiot Guide", or " The Idiot Book". You really need this especially to see how Kristi and Westermaskiner(Manufacturer of ST4's) violated some of VW's Cardinal rules about cooling the engine. It's a must, and entertaining reading.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Al,

While I own no trac'ed vehicles, I'm on your side. That Bob's a little snobby about his toys. You should hear all the bad things he says about my Mahindra tractor! He's not only a Snow-Trac snob but he's also a tractor snob.

We need to work hard to keep him in line. I think the fact that I called him "studly" the other day is going to his head! :whistle:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ugghhh! Bad VW Type 3 flashbacks. I toasted a nice VW Type 3 Notchback off once. Too big of Weber carbs on the engine + a little too much hesitation off the line + a bad left turn decision = 2 complete 360 degree spins and death to one more classic VW!

Whoops!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Big Al,

While I own no trac'ed vehicles, I'm on your side. That Bob's a little snobby about his toys. You should hear all the bad things he says about my Mahindra tractor! He's not only a Snow-Trac snob but he's also a tractor snob.

We need to work hard to keep him in line. I think the fact that I called him "studly" the other day is going to his head! :whistle:

I know how you feel . Bob S. use to make fun of me at that "other" site because I have a Kioti DK45 TLB . I guess I like toys to start with the letter "K" . He lives in Indiana and wears shorts pants so I would not let it worry you much .

A Mahindra huh??? That is suppose to be one tough ,heavy tractor from what I have been told . How do you like it ? They could not pry my hands off my Kioti . Best damn tractor I have ever owned for the money .

I use to have a no good mangy dog named "Studly" . It was a female and barked a lot . But like Bob it had no bite .I had it put to sleep ...:moon: :moon: :moon:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I know how you feel . Bob S. use to make fun of me at that "other" site because I have a Kioti DK45 TLB . I guess I like toys to start with the letter "K" . He lives in Indiana and wears shorts pants so I would not let it worry you much .

A Mahindra huh??? That is suppose to be one tough ,heavy tractor from what I have been told . How do you like it ? They could not pry my hands off my Kioti . Best damn tractor I have ever owned for the money .

I use to have a no good mangy dog named "Studly" . It was a female and barked a lot . But like Bob it had no bite .I had it put to sleep ...:moon: :moon: :moon:

Wait a second . . . you own a Kioti and you had a studly bitch? Hmm . . . maybe all that stuff Bob keeps saying about Kristi owners is right? :eek:

[Just kidding - Kioti's are nice and I would probably own one if there had been any dealers in my area when I was tractor shopping. I've got a 2615 Mahindra - just a lightweight when compared to your heavy Korean beast.]

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Wait a second . . . you own a Kioti and you had a studly bitch? Hmm . . . maybe all that stuff Bob keeps saying about Kristi owners is right? :eek:

[Just kidding - Kioti's are nice and I would probably own one if there had been any dealers in my area when I was tractor shopping. I've got a 2615 Mahindra - just a lightweight when compared to your heavy Korean beast.]

I Swear every thing I said is true .... except for the dog story . Dogs are just to damn loyal . Ex wives hmmmmmm?????? .............

willie

My first post but here goes...Okay, I know this thread is way old, but I'm reading thru all of them since I've found this site. I'm about 99% sure what you're seeing in that Snow Trac is a fuel injected 2.0 VW bus motor. It even looks like they're using it injected. I have about three of these myself sitting on the shelf out in the shop for future projects. They are around 90 hp stock if memory serves me. I took one of these about 10 yrs ago and swapped the FI for a two barrel Weber on my rail buggy. I also machined the heads .040", took the original dished pistons and machined the dish off of them. Then I turned .100" off the top of the stock jugs and turned off two cooling fins so everything would go back together again. (I have all the jigs and tools to do it myself) It was an excercise in cheapness. The only parts I bought new were rings and pushrod tube seals. That motor was a running SOB, but would only run on high test. Turbo Blue really woke it up. Bus motors are cheap, or used to be, and only a little bigger than the type1 motor in the ST's. Most of my buddies that got buses for the trans we used in our rail buggies pretty much gave the bus motors away. All are getting scarce these days. Bill

willie

PS-I know the description says it's a 1600 flat motor, otherwise known as the pancake style as others have noted. Some of the later ones were fuel injected, but the intake runners and the center section look just like many of the 1800 and 2.0 bus motors that have passed my way. I'd have to dig to find a pic of a pancake fuelie out of a type 3 to compare a little better. Jon may be right about it being a type 126 industrial, and maybe it has had a fuel injection added to it- because I think all of the industrials were carb'ed. Maybe Jon could elaborate further. I would have edited the previous post but the button isn't there.

willie

Yep, Still have a couple old bus motors sitting around waiting for the "right" project to pop up. I don't remember If I left any of the fuelie stuff on them or not because I always chucked that stuff in favor of carbs. I also still have the 1641 dual-port type1 I took out of my last rail and replaced with the souped up type 4 and one or two single port motors too. Think I still have a 1776 kit sitting around for a type1 in one of the cabinets out in the shop as well as some aluminum high-ratio roller rockers and some other junk. I hope to throw together a couple rail buggies sometime in the very near future with my oldest son who just turned 16 this month. I'll have to dig out my fixtures and bore a block and a set of heads out for him. It's been a while since I machined any VW stuff, and it'll sure bring back some memories. Jr. can have the 1776, I think Pop will have to soup up another 2 liter...can't have that kid making more horsepower than me!

Anyway, I haven't had the pleasure of owning a tracked snow beast-yet. I'd love to find a basket case Snow-Trac to rebuild... Anyone have a clapped out Snow-Trac they want to donate??:D It would take a while, but what a project! I think it would be a neat challenge to build a variator too and put it on a "real" bus trans like an 091 instead of the old car transes that came in them (even though I have read that they used bus transes in Snow Tracs, I think the older bus ones are really just a car trans with reduction boxes). I really like the looks of the Snow-Tracs, and that's what prompted me to get on this site to begin with. The site has been extremely informative and I love all the pics that get posted.