• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New flathead Chrysler starter

vintagebike

Just picked up my new Hi-Torque gear reduction starter for Sophie our 1949 Tucker. Now I won't have to hunt around on the floorboards in my snow boots to find the stab start switch. Also adding an auxilliary battery, isolation charging system and a battery joiner switch.
IMG_6091.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
no more hitting the gas and starter at the same time. are you keeping the floor one for looks?

IMP

Site Supporter
Will that starter bolt up to the 251 flathead Crystler motor with 146 teeth on the flywheel? If so I would really be interested in the part number and where you bought it.

vintagebike

Installed, New flathead Chrysler starter

I got the new Hi Torque starter installed today. It took a bit of grinding on the adapter plate and some on the starter body to clear the large mount bolts but now it can be listed to fit the Tucker’s 1948-1949 Dodge truck T142 engine. The old stab pedal starter sounded like it was a can full of rocks but the new one is more like a sewing machine motor.:clap: I weighs about 1/4 as much and is only the size of a standard spin-on oil filter. Very happy. Now to install the reserve battery isolator and bypass. D60DF58F-5F00-42B6-A50D-542036D65D14.jpg

IMP

Site Supporter
Do you have a good email contact or phone number for the Hi-Torque Supply people? They dont seem to be very responsive when i tried to contact seller through Ebay. I would like to get a light weight starter for my 251 flathead to carry as a spare. Thanks for posting this info!