• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte Urethane front idler wheels.

DMT

SUPER Site Supporter
Falline in Reno will Urethane coat bogie wheels but not the front Spryte idler wheel.
Any one know who will supply Urethane front idler wheels for a Spryte?

Denny Todd
Las Vegas NV.

DMT

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello Wanngoflying,
I play in the snow near Puffer lake 20 miles East of Beaver UT. Locally I make trips up Mt. Potosi to the FM broadcast & comm. Sites located 30 miles from Las Vegas. Falline is currently urethaning 2 drive sprockets for me but does not do the front boggie. As I now need one front boggie, I felt urethan was a better way to go.
Thank you for your interest and help.

DMT

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello Wanngoflying,
I play in the snow near Puffer lake 20 miles East of Beaver UT. Locally I make trips up Mt. Potosi to the FM broadcast & comm. Sites located 30 miles from Las Vegas. Falline is currently urethaning 2 drive sprockets for me but does not do the front boggie. As I now need one front boggie, I felt urethan was a better way to go.
Thank you for your interest and help.

Hi DMT, I'll share what little I know about the LMC/DMC/Thiokol front wheels. When I owned a Thiokol 3700 many years ago, I was having trouble with my front wheels failing and called the LMC factory to discuss options. At the time I had also seen pictures of other 3700s with factory urethane front wheels and thought that was the way to go. The factory however said their urethane wheels were not only not available anymore but had not really performed as they had hoped. The guy explained the whole history of wheels the had used and the aluminum wheels had progressively thicker webbing and I ended up buying new wheels with very thick webbing(spokes) plus other areas of the wheel were noticeably thicker material. I then foam filled the tires and had no further issues.

On my Spryte I had aluminum wheels on the front and steel wheels on the mains and all were foam filled. I had a passenger box on it a regularly haul 12 people so it was running heavy all the time. I never had issues with the front wheels but the steel wheels did crack out around the bolt holding the two halves together. I welded some washers over the holes and added more bolts between the existing bolts and had no further issues.

The Pisten Bullys I run now all have a heavy duty steel rim with a molded on solid rubber tire in the front position. They are pretty much bullet proof but as far as I can tell you have to replace the tire and rim as one piece. Maybe a company like Permagroomer makes something like this for the Spryte? Other than that I would look around for the thick webbed factory wheel, put a new tire on it and foam fill.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I will get a pic for it for you ,once some one can tell me why im getting a security key popup when I try to load pics. there is a perma groomer option I used on mine with some good success. you take the bolt on hubs off a center position move them to the front, punch out the studs and use a perma groomer wheel for a br 400 and 9/16 grade 8 bolts to hold it on. once you make this modd you have to be carefull about track twist, and impact ,I have shattered 3 bearings in the front end. I have entertained pulling the hubs and opening them up to accept the larger 3700 bearings
the perma groomer tires have served me well but they are heavy

Denny if you want a mono wheel on aluminum I'll check the stash at the resort. I just got two and poly urethane filled. As for Beaver I'd love to join you all next winter and invite to hit the powder in Brian Head.

pstnbly

One issue with running urethane on a front idler is they are more abusive to the front suspension and axle of the tractor. That is why you see solid rubber or foam filled idlers. Solid rubber or foam filled itself was a compromise over air tires as failure rates in air tires were so high. Perma groomer tires are first rate but, they give a harsher ride which in my opinion transfers more impact stress to the chassis. I would opt for a filled tire first, and a Perma groomer if no filled tire option were avalible. Ihave also seen delamination issues with Perma groomer tires but on high time heavy cats.

DMT

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello Alaska Snow Cat,
Thank you for the great information on you experiences with your Spryte. I also have aluminum wheels on the front and steel wheels on the mains. Mains I had foam filled some years back but the front seem to be hard rubber instead of foam filled as you described on your Piston Bully. My new sprockets have arrived and being installed.
Thank you,
Denny Todd

DMT

SUPER Site Supporter
Denny if you want a mono wheel on aluminum I'll check the stash at the resort. I just got two and poly urethane filled. As for Beaver I'd love to join you all next winter and invite to hit the powder in Brian Head.
Hi Wannagoflying,
Did you fill your front tires with urethane or foam? My fronts are hard rubber but shredding.
Denny Todd