• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Australia: Violence censored by police to make us(them) feel safer

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting. Makes you wonder whether or not you can rely on their anti-gun statistics. It appears that the police are whitewashing the crimes to achieve some form of agenda.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ke-us-feel-safer/story-e6freuy9-1225765336954

Violence censored by police to make us feel safer

POLICE are censoring images of violent crimes to make the public feel safe on the streets.

Police spin doctors have issued a blanket ban on releasing photos of criminals carrying weapons during attacks.
Officers are also trained to play down violent incidents and public alerts are delayed by hours or days.
Experts said the first hours after a crime could be vital and the tight control of information meant some incidents were never solved.
Publican Peter Nellies, who had a gun repeatedly pointed at his head while his staff were held hostage for two terrifying hours, is angry about the cloak of silence police have thrown around the raid on his pub, the Bradbury Inn in Sydney's southwest.
It took 11 hours before a bulletin was issued, giving the criminals a long head start before the public were alerted. Even then, despite the extreme violence, it was described as an "incident" in which people were "detained".
The changes came about last year when police radios were encrypted to keep details of raids secret and the media unit assumed total control of all information released to the public.
Since then, carjackings have been described as "concerns for welfare", a violent robbery and shooting at Wentworthville was played down and the Lin family murder was kept secret for five hours before it was released as a "domestic related" incident.
Do you have footage of a crime that's not been made public? Tell us below
The last time the media unit released images of a victim being terrorised with a weapon was in February 2005.
The photograph of a commuter with a gun to his head in a daytime mugging at Harris Park train station appeared on the front page of The Daily Telegraph.
Since then The Daily Telegraph has obtained similar frightening images taken during a Parramatta jewellery shop heist and a pub robbery at St Leonards but now even victims are being discouraged from releasing security camera vision.
Police media advisers have admitted they would never release such photos due to a "protocol" that prevents the release of images showing the commission of a crime.
Former police officer Tim Priest said: "I have been complaining about the police media unit for years. Basically what it is is censorship.
"It is not letting the public know there are dangerous offenders running around doing these sorts of things."
University of Western Sydney Bachelor of Policing degree co-ordinator Dr Mike Kennedy said the media unit was an extension of government. "They are more interested in doing the bidding of the Government," Dr Kennedy said.
A spokesman for Police Minister Tony Kelly denied there was a policy to censor or sanitise images or information about serious crimes.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They don't want to get folks thinking the police are not really able to protect them from punks with guns. Wonder what spin Vin will put on this?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
DEADONG wont respond. He believes that they (the public) are safer without guns. Even though violent crimes and Murders have gone up consistantly every year since the gun ban

SShepherd

a person has the god given right to defend his family and himself must be a uniquely American idea, thats why so many non Americans/other countries cannot grasp the concept.

daedong

I really think it is time some of you folks actually visited Australia so you could reason with spin when you see it.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I really think it is time some of you folks actually visited Australia so you could reason with spin when you see it.

So Vin , are You saying that if We don't have a direct connection (as in living in or having visited ) ) to a place that We have no right to comment ? BTW I spent two months in Australia . So , I guess I'm an expert on all things concerning Your country ..Please , if You need advice on Your politics ,or religious matters ,feel free to ask . I'm an expert :whistling:

Last edited:

daedong

So Vin , are You saying that if We don't have a direct connection (as in living in or having visited ) ) to a place that We have no right to comment ? BTW I spent two months in Australia . So , I guess I'm an expert on all things concerning Your country ..Please , if You need advice on Your politics ,or religious matters ,feel free to ask . I'm an expert :whistling:

No I was not saying that you need to live here, I was implying that what you read here is not always the conclusive truth, Just like your media twists the truth so does ours. There is much more to this story than what is in this article.

Feel free to comment on anything Australian, you are more than welcome, your input would be greatly appreciated, outside views are often very good at making one see things from different angles.

BTW I do hope you enjoyed your 2 months in OZ! You would have to acknowledge it is a pretty good country, not many gun crimes and violence is pretty minimal, contrary to what many yanks think.

Oh, while replying give me you take on the UK Health care system.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW I do hope you enjoyed your 2 months in OZ! You would have to acknowledge it is a pretty good country, not many gun crimes and violence is pretty minimal, contrary to what many yanks think.

Oh, while replying give me you take on the UK Health care system.

Indeed I did enjoy My visit to OZ !Very fine folks to say the least .
I only lived in the UK for 6 years .So while I think that the NHS sucked , I might have needed more time to determine that it truly SUCKED ! :yum:
Example : I needed a root channel . When I got to the dentist and He started His procedure ,He asked if it was NHS ,or private pay . Once I said private pay ,there was a transformation in the way I was treated .

daedong

Indeed I did enjoy My visit to OZ !Very fine folks to say the least .
I only lived in the UK for 6 years .So while I think that the NHS sucked , I might have needed more time to determine that it truly SUCKED ! :yum:
Example : I needed a root channel . When I got to the dentist and He started His procedure ,He asked if it was NHS ,or private pay . Once I said private pay ,there was a transformation in the way I was treated .

While I am not an advocate of single layer Health care myself your comments are interesting . But what do you mean by "transformation", some details would be nice?

Were you not in the Military, I would have thought that they would have their own medico's?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
While I am not an advocate of single layer Health care myself your comments are interesting . But what do you mean by "transformation", some details would be nice?

Were you not in the Military, I would have thought that they would have their own medico's?

First of , I was retired from the military . So , No health care . In fact that may have been a blessing :) You'd have to have been a recipient of that to understand :)
But, as to the transformation ... Once I had announced that it was on My dime , the quality of care ,and concern ramped up considerably :)

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
Once I had announced that it was on My dime , the quality of care ,and concern ramped up considerably :)

How so? Did they replace the polyester bib with silk? Did they swap the grumpy old nurse/dental assistant with some hot 'Maxim' chick? :w00t2: Did you get Novacaine instead of corn syrup? :doh:

:poke:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
How so? Did they replace the polyester bib with silk? Did they swap the grumpy old nurse/dental assistant with some hot 'Maxim' chick? :w00t2: Did you get Novacaine instead of corn syrup? :doh:

:poke:

How so ? they seemed to be very concerned with My comfort .