• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why Can't We Do This Today?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Operation Wetback

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Wetback was a 1954 project of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to remove about 4 million illegal immigrants from the southwestern United States, with a focus on Mexican nationals.

History

Burgeoning numbers of illegal aliens prompted President Dwight D. Eisenhower to appoint his longtime friend, General Joseph Swing, as INS Commissioner. According to Attorney General Herbert Brownell Jr., Eisenhower had a sense of urgency about illegal immigration immediately upon taking office. In a letter to Sen. William Fulbright, Eisenhower quoted a report in The New York Times that said: "The rise in illegal border-crossing by Mexican 'wetbacks' (rooted from the watery route taken by the Mexican immigrants across the Rio Grande) to a current rate of more than 1,000,000 cases a year has been accompanied by a curious relaxation in ethical standards extending all the way from the farmer-exploiters of this contraband labor to the highest levels of the Federal Government."[1]
Eisenhower became increasingly concerned that profits from illegal labor led to corruption. The operation was modeled after the deportation program that invited American citizens of Mexican ancestry to go back to Mexico during the Great Depression because of the bad economy north of the border. See Mexican Repatriation.

Operation

The operation began in California and Arizona and coordinated 1,075 Border Patrol agents along with state and local police agencies to mount an aggressive crackdown, going as far as police sweeps of Mexican-American neighborhoods and random stops and ID checks of "Mexican-looking" people in a region with many Native Americans and native Hispanics.[2] 750 agents targeted agricultural areas with a goal of 1000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states. Around 488,000 people fled the country for fear of being apprehended. By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and the INS estimates that 500,000-700,000 people had left Texas voluntarily. To discourage re-entry, buses and trains took many people deep within Mexico before being set free. Tens of thousands more were put aboard two hired ships, the Emancipation and the Mercurio. The ships ferried them from Port Isabel, Texas, to Veracruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles (800 kilometers) south. some as far as 1,000 miles.

Result

Operation Wetback deported more than 130,000 Mexican nationals in the space of almost a year, although local INS officials claimed that an additional 1 million to 1.2 million had fled to Mexico. The INS estimates rested on the claim that most illegal immigrants, fearing apprehension by the government, had voluntarily repatriated themselves before and during the initiative. Proponents of increased deportations point to a multiplying effect, where each individual deported resulted in roughly nine voluntarily returning to their home country.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I was a little kid way back then, but I remember one who was the caretaker for the farm next to my Grandpa's. He seemed like a decent guy. My Grandpa had employed farm labor for years so had learned a little Spanish, and he visited with the guy occasionally.

When the Mexican heard that deportation was inevitable, he committed suicide.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I said it before, I'll say it again. I have nothing against the Mexican people, per say. If they want to be in the United States, you are welcome to learn ENGLISH like other immigrants do, and come in LEGALLY.
I agree with Mtntopper and AW, we need to do this again, in the whole UNITED STATES.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
When the Mexican heard that deportation was inevitable, he committed suicide.

And why is that our problem? Sure its sad but really, is life in Mexico that bad? Why don't these people work to make their own country better.

Or at the very least work to get legal immigration status in the country they want to live in.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I said it before, I'll say it again. I have nothing against the Mexican people, per say. If they want to be in the United States, you are welcome to learn ENGLISH like other immigrants do, and come in LEGALLY.
I agree with Mtntopper and AW, we need to do this again, in the whole UNITED STATES.

This is a major issue for me.....speak English and respect our laws and hey presto i welcome everyone(as long as my taxes ain't supporting you when you get here).:thumb:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a major issue for me.....speak English and respect our laws and hey presto i welcome everyone(as long as my taxes ain't supporting you when you get here).:thumb:
Ummmmm yeah Kimi.. don'tcha love all those Paki's running the chippies and paper shops?
I used to not like going down to the shop or any local place for something and have them speaking in their own language and laughing when they heard my American accent.
It was pretty bad in Batley and Dewsbury, particularly.
Hearing "Yankee" used to really make me angry, but at least I could speak the Queen's English, propahhh.. :rolf2:;)