Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Lawn, Garden, Plants & Trees Forum

Old 05-14-2020, 07:15 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,366 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Covid "Victory Garden" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNE228 View Post
My wife does landscape design and works in a local nursery.
They sell out out of veggies shortly after each truck unloads. She's never seen a spring rush like this.
Pretty much what I am expecting to see here if I ever go out again.

We bought early for exactly that reason. I'd still like to add a few more but we are in good shape for our small garden.

My garden is a grouping of small raised beds, each bed's shape is defined by a 2x6 cedar board that forms the outline. Between each of the beds there is a crushed gravel path. Yesterday morning I sprayed some extended release weed killer. The crab grass and weeks have been trying to overtake the gravel paths. I put an end to that with the ground clear. It should do the trick.

Our garden is still not planted.

We had 2 nights of freezing temps in the past 7 days. We will be planting NEXT week, probably looking to start on Monday or Tuesday. Until then it is RAIN. Started this morning. Not supposed to end until Sunday evening.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
The Following User Says Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (05-14-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,043 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road

Hi all, got 1- beefsteak tomato and 2- green bell pepper plants with fruit growing. it won't be long now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.jpg (130.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0862.jpg (226.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (349.6 KB, 20 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-10-2020), pirate_girl (06-14-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,076 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

You must have been able to get them in the ground much earlier than I could (which was Memorial Day weekend). All my plants are still pretty small. It'll be end of July before we are able to get any tomatoes or peppers.
jim slagle  (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
You must have been able to get them in the ground much earlier than I could (which was Memorial Day weekend). All my plants are still pretty small. It'll be end of July before we are able to get any tomatoes or peppers.
Got them in by the middle of May, Im not sure its any easier or cheaper than going to the store, but I grew them myself.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

We couldn't get our plants in the ground until Memorial Day either and we've been having such heavy rains that we still have a few that are in plastic tubs, they may just end up in the big tubs???

Tornado yesterday and thunderstorm this morning. Starting to clear up again but there is a fresh 2" of water in the pool so the ground is soaked too

- Ayn Rand
The Following User Says Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,292 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

We only have a few plants but they, for the most part, are doing very well. For some reason on of the tomato plants is a little late. It has a ton of flowers but hasn't set any fruit. The other 3 plants are massive. They stand about 3 foot tall and are covered in medium sized tomatoes. I think that three of them are "Celebrity" and the fourth is a so called "black tomato". None have started to ripen yet but when they do ..

The four pepper plants are also doing well. They've set fruit and seem to be growing every day. We have 2 green peppers, a red pepper and a yellow pepper.

The potatoes that I threw in the ground down back have also come up and are doing well except for one that has been eaten but is still alive and trying. It was probably a deer or a rabbit looking for a snack which is strange because I always thought that the leaves were poisonous.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following User Says Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-10-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,076 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
We couldn't get our plants in the ground until Memorial Day either and we've been having such heavy rains that we still have a few that are in plastic tubs, they may just end up in the big tubs???

Tornado yesterday and thunderstorm this morning. Starting to clear up again but there is a fresh 2" of water in the pool so the ground is soaked too
We don't put ours in the ground until Memorial Day in that up until that weekend, there's always a chance of frost.

Keeping them in tubs will be OK. They won't get nearly as big or produce as much but such is life. Anything in tubs will require more watering as they won't hold water/moisture nearly as much as being in the ground.

Tornado warnings last night here as well. Haven't looked at the gardens yet but everything else outside appears fine so hoping no damage.
jim slagle  (06-11-2020), m1west (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
We don't put ours in the ground until Memorial Day in that up until that weekend, there's always a chance of frost.

Keeping them in tubs will be OK. They won't get nearly as big or produce as much but such is life. Anything in tubs will require more watering as they won't hold water/moisture nearly as much as being in the ground.

Tornado warnings last night here as well. Haven't looked at the gardens yet but everything else outside appears fine so hoping no damage.
Im forced to grow them in pots or the wildlife around here will eat all of it. Right now they are trying to kill my 3 year old cherry trees. After the rain stops the ground becomes dryer than a popcorn fart around here and the little bastards go after anything you water. They build nests under the plants then eat the roots while drinking the water. There are to many to kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-11-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 09:32 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Our house is on a ridgeline, at the top.
Our garden is down the hillside, near the base.

Water supply is at the house.

So I ran a 25' hose from the house to the edge of the woods with a quick connect. Its a lightweight hose so the lovely Mrs_Bob can manage it easily. It just runs from the house spigot to the edge of the woods, over the lawn. Because it runs over the lawn it needs to be easily connected/disconnected from another hose, and also easily rewound at the house side.

There is a heavy commercial grade 100' hose running through the woods down the hillside to the garden. Quick connect coupler on that hose so it can connect up to the lighter weight hose that is attached to the house.

Down at the garden is a hose holder with a spigot. The commercial grade hose connects into the hose holder/spigot.

A 3rd hose is then connected to the spigot and that hose runs water to each of the garden planting beds.

- Ayn Rand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-14-2020), m1west (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
Our house is on a ridgeline, at the top.
Our garden is down the hillside, near the base.

Water supply is at the house.

So I ran a 25' hose from the house to the edge of the woods with a quick connect. Its a lightweight hose so the lovely Mrs_Bob can manage it easily. It just runs from the house spigot to the edge of the woods, over the lawn. Because it runs over the lawn it needs to be easily connected/disconnected from another hose, and also easily rewound at the house side.

There is a heavy commercial grade 100' hose running through the woods down the hillside to the garden. Quick connect coupler on that hose so it can connect up to the lighter weight hose that is attached to the house.

Down at the garden is a hose holder with a spigot. The commercial grade hose connects into the hose holder/spigot.

A 3rd hose is then connected to the spigot and that hose runs water to each of the garden planting beds.
I think I need to see a drawing to understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,292 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

My watering system is a holdover from my 25-year old mission to have a "no work" garden.

I ran one of those micro watering systems in my wife's herb garden where the tomatoes and peppers are growing right now. It was connected to a faucet and a timer on the wall. She doesn't use it now and prefers one of those whirleygig sprinklers that she has to turn on and move around. I need to pull that old system up.

For the raised bed garden I trenched from the water well, laid 1-1/2" PVC pipe and placed a faucet and a timer at the end of each of the three raised beds for soaker hoses.

When I had the big 1-acre garden I again ran PVC pipe from the well to the center and put a big sprinkler set on a 4"x4" treated post set right in the middle. Again, it was on a timer.

It all worked well for many years, basically until gave up veggie gardening.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (06-14-2020), m1west (06-14-2020)