• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

May 14, 2020 The dominoes begin to fall

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
May 14, 2020
The dominoes begin to fall
By Bill Hansmann

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/05/the_dominoes_begin_to_fall.html

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh raised the question all Americans should be asking. The question was not "What happens if we open the economy back up too quickly?" Rather, it was "What happens if we open the economy back up too late?" I believe we have already crossed that line, because too many governors and too many big-city mayors are relishing their exercise in power and a small medical hierarchy is given far too much credibility.

The dominoes are beginning to fall. Two restaurants that my wife and I have frequented for years have declared that they will not reopen. The months-long lack of revenue, coupled with new regulations, has made it impossible for them to continue. The woman who cuts what is left of my hair and always made me presentable for public view has told me she will not be going back to work at her shop. The dangers of this virus, both the real danger of a highly survivable disease and the more frightening possibilities propagated by the media, have scared her out of business. She will stay at home and try to cope. And Nieman-Marcus has declared bankruptcy.

The large retail establishment is not closing its stores. Rather, our bankruptcy laws will allow the corporation to delay, and in some cases, eliminate, payments to their suppliers and others to whom they owe money. Nieman-Marcus will live to see another day, but what about its suppliers and landlords and employees? What about those who don't have the financial wherewithal to survive this economic downtime?

My wife and I undoubtedly still have plenty of choices when it comes to restaurants. We have ventured out. We've sat the required distance from other tables. The food and service have been good, and I have tipped exorbitantly. But I have to wonder how long these establishments can survive with less than full capacity. A lot more of our dining choices are going to disappear if this "new normal" is allowed to prevail.

I'm sure I can find someone else to cut my hair. I may end up not looking as presentable as when my old barber did the trimming, but most of my friends don't think I look that good anyway. But the pretty and handsome among you are going to suffer as well.

I reject the argument that those who want to reopen don't care about how many die. That is nonsense and hardly worth a response. Mortality has become the last refuge of these scoundrels.

It's time to remind these petty tyrants, these gauleiters intent on disrupting the 2020 presidential election, that they are hoping to be re-elected as well. The public will not forget who is to blame for a crashed economy, and the governors and mayors who hesitate to put their citizens back to work should pay a steep price.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
May 14, 2020
The dominoes begin to fall
By Bill Hansmann

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/05/the_dominoes_begin_to_fall.html

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh raised the question all Americans should be asking. The question was not "What happens if we open the economy back up too quickly?" Rather, it was "What happens if we open the economy back up too late?" I believe we have already crossed that line, because too many governors and too many big-city mayors are relishing their exercise in power and a small medical hierarchy is given far too much credibility.

The dominoes are beginning to fall. Two restaurants that my wife and I have frequented for years have declared that they will not reopen. The months-long lack of revenue, coupled with new regulations, has made it impossible for them to continue. The woman who cuts what is left of my hair and always made me presentable for public view has told me she will not be going back to work at her shop. The dangers of this virus, both the real danger of a highly survivable disease and the more frightening possibilities propagated by the media, have scared her out of business. She will stay at home and try to cope. And Nieman-Marcus has declared bankruptcy.

The large retail establishment is not closing its stores. Rather, our bankruptcy laws will allow the corporation to delay, and in some cases, eliminate, payments to their suppliers and others to whom they owe money. Nieman-Marcus will live to see another day, but what about its suppliers and landlords and employees? What about those who don't have the financial wherewithal to survive this economic downtime?

My wife and I undoubtedly still have plenty of choices when it comes to restaurants. We have ventured out. We've sat the required distance from other tables. The food and service have been good, and I have tipped exorbitantly. But I have to wonder how long these establishments can survive with less than full capacity. A lot more of our dining choices are going to disappear if this "new normal" is allowed to prevail.

I'm sure I can find someone else to cut my hair. I may end up not looking as presentable as when my old barber did the trimming, but most of my friends don't think I look that good anyway. But the pretty and handsome among you are going to suffer as well.

I reject the argument that those who want to reopen don't care about how many die. That is nonsense and hardly worth a response. Mortality has become the last refuge of these scoundrels.

It's time to remind these petty tyrants, these gauleiters intent on disrupting the 2020 presidential election, that they are hoping to be re-elected as well. The public will not forget who is to blame for a crashed economy, and the governors and mayors who hesitate to put their citizens back to work should pay a steep price.

Yet they insist planned parenthood stays open to kill babies. :bonk:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have had lots of questions about which businesses are "essential" and which are not!! Weed shops and liquor stores are waaay down on my list but I guess the pols knew how to avoid starting a revolution!! I can see it now: crazed potheads and alcoholics in the streets with ropes in hand, LOL!!
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I asked the guy who has looked after my pool for years, ever since I gave up on it, "How come cleaning pools is considered essential work?". He said that his wife considered eating every day pretty darned essential, lazy bugger, so he works! True Dat!

I'm glad that Gov. Abbott is starting to open things up because the infection rate around East Texas has been almost infinitesimally low. Some Counties, especially out west, had no cases at all but were still locked down. The large population centers such as Dallas and Houston are higher but, considering the number of people, the infection rate is still very, very low. I looked at the resources that were assigned to cope with the virus and Texas is using about 10% of those resources. That's a long, long way from being overwhelmed. I'm not saying we need to throw the door wide open and act as if it doesn't exist but there is no need to ruin people's businesses and lives because of it. Nursing homes, retirement homes and the like still need to be protected and take all precautions along with old people like me and others considered high risk. I will say however that I didn't get to be this old by being stupid … but I was pretty lucky at times.