• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good metal detector?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
We're taking a trip to the beach in June and I want to get a metal detector for the kids (teenagers) to play with, so nuthin too terribly fancy. Any recommendations in the under $200 range?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My nephew had a Garrett that I liked although I never found any gold doubloons.. He bought it for on the beach. A couple additions you may want to consider are headphones due to wave noise and a beach scoop so you don't have to dig by hand.

Deputy347k9

Just read your post regarding detecting at the beach. Your best bet, for the price range you desire, is to find a used detector. I detect several times weekly at the ocean along the NC coast. Many detectors are not water proof, this you want. Such as the previous reply, headphones are really useful. A long handled scoop will make life so much easier. I see the newbies daily with their little garden trowel, up and down digging, that get's old.

For the ocean I use a Minilab Excalibur 1000, the wife uses a White's Beach hunter 300. For hard ground I use a White's DFX300. These three machine range in price from $950.00-$1,400.00.

About one month ago I recovered on diamon/wedding band that measured 1.69C, appraised at $5,500.00-$6,000.00. Year to date we have located 14 rings (gold), 12 silver half dollars, 1 silver dollar, 3 gold chains, about one roll of silver quarts and dimes and a whole bunch of clad coins.

I have seen some real nice machines on Craigs List for a fraction of the cost.

Most respectfully
Larry
Deputy347k9 Retired
MSgt US Marine Corps Retired

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
for the starter something like a fisher gold bug works well with it's auto ground balance function . they are user friendly and affordable plan to pay about 100 bucks an inch for every inch you go under the ground.