• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Atomic clocks

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is wrong. It is plugged in.
Does it have to have a battery, also ???

It's worked for a few years but today it's 4 hours fast. The other night it was an hour fast but ok in the morning ???

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is OK.
I have to let it sit on the highest point of the house for a day for it to find the time. I only do this after changing batteries

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine worked for 10 years and since then it has been off by over an hour. Not exactly an hour, it's like 1 hour and 17 minutes behind. I retired it and only use it for it's radio.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
THere !!!

I fixed it !!!

Attachments

• atomclock.jpg
    atomclock.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 102

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Is that a piece of duct tape? I knew it!. That damn stuff fixes everything. Even got the Apollo 13 astronauts home.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could the time zone been changed? Daylight saving is one other setting but that would only be 1 hr.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Atomic clocks?
Dark ages?
How long have cell phones been around?
It actually has a clock.
Pretty darn accurate

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
you can use the app called "Clock Wave" to set your atomic clocks.
It very cleverly uses the iPhone/iPad speaker(s) to generate an RF signal that the clock can receive.
You have to put the clock antenna right next to the phone/iPad speaker for it to work.
It has an option to emulate WWVB, which is what I use to set my Casio Pro Trek watches, when I can't get WWVB over the air (for whatever reason). It can also emulate BPC (Shangui China), JJY (Fukuoka, Japan), MSF (Anthorn, Cumbria, UK), and DCF77 (Mainfilngen, Germany).

https://cw.rzapps.com/

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Atomic clock is in my office.

I don't get cell service at my house so I just leave it on the charger. We do have a device which can route our cell phones through our internet but I don't care about my cell phone anyway.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I put 3 new AAA batteries in and it is correct again.

Kind of puzzles me why it has to have good batteries when it is plugged in all the time.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I put 3 new AAA batteries in and it is correct again.

Kind of puzzles me why it has to have good batteries when it is plugged in all the time.
Because the clock mechanism doesn't run off the plug. The bakeries are a sink, modulating the current more evenly. The plug runs a charger that keeps the batteries topped off. When they won't fully accept the charge they don't regulate, enough, the juice provided to properly operate the clock.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I thought about it today and was thinking similar to Frank But; they aren't rechargeable batteries. So I guess the clock runs on the batteries and the rest runs on the 5 volt DC output wall plug. Isn't the thing that makes the 5 volt capable of regulating it's voltage well enough ?

Yes, I do tend to wonder about odd things LOL

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought about it today and was thinking similar to Frank But; they aren't rechargeable batteries. So I guess the clock runs on the batteries and the rest runs on the 5 volt DC output wall plug. Isn't the thing that makes the 5 volt capable of regulating it's voltage well enough ?

Yes, I do tend to wonder about odd things LOL

What you are suggesting is entirely likely. Atomic clocks use very little energy especially if they have a liquid Crystal imager. However, the timing mechanism could be off the batteries with the imager and the radio working off the wall plug.

I have counters in my factory that must be plugged to the wall to work on 110 Volts. However, many of the components use small batteries to operate. They last for 10 or more years.

BTW, Never stop wondering about odd things. One day the aliens will steal back all our technologies and only those who know how to rub sticks together and make fire will be warm.