• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spotted Richard??

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A council canteen in Wales offices has renamed Spotted Dick on its menu after sniggering by customers.

1531047.jpg

Officials decided to change the name of the traditional dish to Spotted Richard because the original name was "offensive".
Klaus Armstrong-Braun, a county councillor, said: "I couldn't believe it, it seemed ludicrous. Spotted Dick is part of our heritage. It just seemed political correctness gone mad.
There was a sign in the dining room for things like rice pudding and then this Spotted Richard - I had to ask what it was."
Councillor Armstrong-Braun, a Green member on the coalition-run council, said: "Whoever has changed it needs to be told they are being silly."
A spokesman for Flintshire County Council confirmed that Spotted Dick had been taken off their menu at the offices in Mold, North Wales.
He said: "It is true that the correct title for this dish is Spotted Dick. However, because of several immature comments from a few customers, catering staff renamed the dish Spotted Richard - or sometimes even Sultana Sponge.
"This was not a policy decision, canteen staff simply acted as they thought best to put an end to unwelcome and childish comments, albeit from a very small number of customers."
Spotted Dick is made from suet, flour and dried fruit - and dates back to cookery books in 1850.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Ya gotta admit, its original moniker had a certain "venereal" ring to it.:yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
In my youth when I was going to school in Spain, I met this young good looking gal from Ireland and we hit if off pretty well talking all afternoon, then she told me I should "Knock her up" if I was in her part of the Country...

Being 18 at the time I about fell over.... It was later explained to me that she meant stop by and visit her by knocking on her door....

Strange how much differance we have between two Countries over a common language...:sad:

Anyone got some Fags....

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife's favorite story was about when she first went to work in London. For her first few days she had to share an office with a Brit. One afternoon he was searching through his desk and slamming drawers in frustration. Eventually he called across to her, "Throw me a rubber, will you?". Her initial thought was, "You got to be kidding me" until he explained he needed an eraser.

Fag .... cigarette.
Faggot .... a meat roll-up thing usually with brown gravy or a rush or reed torch used for illumination.

As they say, "We are two counties separated by a common language".

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Depends what you mean by Fags????????????????

Well my first thought was a "Queen" and not the ice type! The guy wanted to bum a smoke....

Some years back there was a couple of "Brits" here in Alaska and they were in a cafe talking about taking their "Air Boat" down the Yukon River. There was a somewhat hung over drunk that popped his head up and started a rant about rich white guys ruining the rivers with their loud, expensive "Air Boats"... He then passed back out. The two guys were shocked and told me they didn't even have a motor.... They were floating down the river in a Rubber Raft in total silence...

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Right, fags could be either! Also in private schools it was the custom for older boys to have a 'slave' called a fag, don't know whether the custom has died out though - I didn't go to an all boys private school.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Right, fags could be either! Also in private schools it was the custom for older boys to have a 'slave' called a fag, don't know whether the custom has died out though - I didn't go to an all boys private school.

Well in the Prision systems in the U.S., they call them "Teddy bears"...:unsure:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I didn't have to hang around outside private schools for boys, I lived next door to a 'Lads Club' - I always thought it was very unfair that the local boys had a club to go to, but as girls weren't allowed, I couldn't play football!