• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scored a nice diesel generator yesterday.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Saw a 5000W Yanmar diesel powered generator on CL a few days ago. It has 0000.1 hours on it. It's never been used!!!

E-mailed the guy since there was no price. While waiting for him to reply, I dug around on the internet to see what I can find on it.

My digging revealed that it was about a 10-year-old commercial generator sold through Grainger and sold for around $4600-4800 back then.

The guy e-mailed back and said to make an offer. I offered $700 if everything worked. He came back with $1000.

I asked him if he would a) replace the fuel, b) install a battery and c) load-test the generator then get back with me on how it runs.

Everything worked flawlessly so we agreed to meet somewhere, him with the genset and me with cash.

I looked it over, fired it up and load-tested myself. It was flawless.

Considering the price when new, I didn't have the heart (or balls, since there's a bunch of people that contacted him about the genset after I did offering the $1K) to try to get him down on price. Gave him the $1K and loaded it in my truck. :)

Sweet! Now I think I'm going to sell a couple of my other generators.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That little yanmar diesel is GREAT! They just run and run.

Jim

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
But do you need it?
Or like me is nice to have more toys around.

The answers are yes and yes.

I have three portable generators. There's times that has been at least one short of actual need.

Jim

Andrei

Banned
In that case make the best of it and it was a great deal.
One of my plans is to incorporate a water heater into a generator and a compressor all on a small trailer unit.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Great score on a great generator. How come I never run across deals like that?

One question. How loud is it when running with a load on it?. The reason I ask is that we got back from Florida I ran by a friend's house. He was 'way down back working on his wooden fence. He had a small (3kW I think) diesel generator running and that puppy seemed awful loud. It may have been the location down in a hollow or it may be that I'm used to gas inverter generators.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your opinion as next year I'll be getting a bigger generator for the house. I'm leaning towards a natural gas, whole house model but a diesel with a large tank is still a possibility.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In that case make the best of it and it was a great deal.
One of my plans is to incorporate a water heater into a generator and a compressor all on a small trailer unit.

I have a small trailer with a 18HP Wisconsin twin TJD, and a 10,000 watt gen set. It also has an air compressor on board... as well as a stick welder:smile: Very handy thing to have. It also seems to be 'barrowed" quite a bit by friends.:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This generator is pretty loud but I'd say about the same as a gas equivalent.

There's no such thing as too many generators! I have 11 of them and most have their place. I am going to try to get rid of some...
200+KW - too damn big and guzzles fuel so it never gets used.
30KW with a Ford straight-6 industrial. This is my 3-phase or single phase but run the whole house.
15KW is used when a lot of power is needed at the house but it won't run the furnace.
7.5KW is the regularly used. Nice mix of power vs. fuel.
5KW diesel (this one). May replace the 7.5KW gasser.
3KW is quiet and sips fuel. Used at remote locations.
2KW inverter. Nice and quiet for remote locations for smaller power needs.
(3) cheap 2KW. Pass those out when there's a power outage so people don't bother me.
1.5KW an old one that I use for small power needs at remote locations.
When we get long outages, I loan/pass out the ones I'm not using to people that don't have one.

Plus a couple power inverters strapped to deep-cycle marine batteries. These are kept in the rooms with the wood stoves so I can get immediate power to the blowers to keep the stove from overheating while I hook up a genset or wait for the power to come back on.

Andrei

Banned
I have a small trailer with a 18HP Wisconsin twin TJD, and a 10,000 watt gen set. It also has an air compressor on board... as well as a stick welder:smile: Very handy thing to have. It also seems to be 'barrowed" quite a bit by friends.:whistling:

Regards, Kirk
That is a nice tool to have.
On that if you run the exhaust thru a water tank you will have hot water too.
And of course add a pump in case of need.