• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Respect...

Lia

Banned
Ok, so this is the thread for folk to say what the heck they want to eh? Well, here’s my two cents, if anyone’s interested, which I doubt; but since the platform is here for all members to post in, I don’t think it’s out of line for me to say what I have to say.
There’s a heck of a lot of super folk here who are grown up and mature about all sorts of things, and with all sorts of theories on a topic or debate. They don’t care where one originates from, what one’s beliefs are, and they don’t carry on a vendetta because one disagrees with something they believe in, or something one has previously said.
I’m not religious. I follow no creed. I don’t believe in any deity. I don’t believe that that makes me any better, or any worse than someone who is religious. I have, however, studied, and am fairly well grounded academically in the topic of theology, and I follow the news and updates on the subject, from a political angle as well as from a philosophical angle. After all, being an Atheist is as valid as being religious, right?

I’m going to argue and debate the subject; that’s me, and I enjoy the cut and thrust of the verbal fencing; and because it is my right as a member of the site, to participate in debates. The subjects are both up for discussion and debate as far as I know, here. It’s fine to debate, and even to get a bit heated over a topic, so long as one is courteous and adult about it; but to follow thro to other threads with that heat or animosity is not only naff, it’s also totally anti-social. I’ll even go so far as to say that it shows a distinct lack of breeding and maturity.
Wherever one goes on the net, it happens tho… What you won’t find me doing is to disagree with a member on every other topic, just because they have different beliefs from me. It’s not my way; to do so is immature and shows a lack of courtesy and intelligence. I don’t put folk on ignore, that’s childish also, and is an exercise in futility imho, since others may quote them, and so one inevitably reads what they post in any event.

There is no way that I am gonna fall out with someone because they don’t agree with something I say, or believe in either. Some of you will know that despite us having had heated discussions on a topic I still rep them if I like a particular post of theirs. Yesterday was yesterday, and the topic is done and dusted, until the next time.
One either likes one, or one doesn’t, but to dislike one simply because they follow no religion is bigoted and immature. One can argue and debate a topic, but one doesn’t have to fall out over it just because. It’s stupid. I gave that sort of behaviour up when I left kindergarten, for pity’s sake. I am casting no aspersions, or accusing any individual; if the cap fits… I’m merely making my point. I’m not religious, but I will debate religion. You don’t have to like me because of that fact, but you do have to accord one the respect and courtesy that is accorded to you, I believe.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well said, Lia, and I mostly agree. I am here mostly to listen to positions other than mine, and will debate or present my opinion when appropriate sometimes when it isn't. I try to not get into a pissing contest as that does not further my agenda.

On the other hand, I don't take much of what is said personally, and believe that in order to offend, you must offend someone who gives a damn. Generally, I don't.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If there's one thing I've learned on the forums Laurie, you get what you give.
Sometimes it's not fun and you find yourself in hot water if not careful.
The key is to sit on your hands or log out when you feel it's getting personal.
Being cutting in a nice way doesn't always work, you see.
No, it doesn't.

Lia

Banned
If there's one thing I've learned on the forums Laurie, you get what you give.
Sometimes it's not fun and you find yourself in hot water if not careful.
The key is to sit on your hands or log out when you feel it's getting personal.
Being cutting in a nice way doesn't always work, you see.
No, it doesn't.

Lollie, you're missing the point hon, which is that if one disagrees with another on a topic, it shouldn't be taken to other area's or topics. It should be debated only where relevant. I should only find myself in hot water as you put it if my arguments don't show relevance to the subject under discussion, or if I am being deliberately offensive. I shouldn't be in hot water for being an Atheist, or believing in something different to the next person.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Lollie, you're missing the point hon, which is that if one disagrees with another on a topic, it shouldn't be taken to other area's or topics. It should be debated only where relevant. I should only find myself in hot water as you put it if my arguments don't show relevance to the subject under discussion, or if I am being deliberately offensive. I shouldn't be in hot water for being an Atheist, or believing in something different to the next person.
No, it shouldn't- but it's happened before to me as well on this and other forums.

You being an Atheist is your belief system. That should be respected just as anything else.
I like you and Shep both, so I am not going to really say anything more here.
Be yourself, stick to your guns.
'tisn't easy being a member on this forum at times.:yum::flowers::respect:

Lia

Banned
Well said but could you have found a bigger font? :whistling:

lol. I'm not too sure that I know what you mean, but am giving you the benefit of the doubt 'cos I luvs ya style. Thank you. :smile:

No, it shouldn't- but it's happened before to me as well on this and other forums.

You being an Atheist is your belief system. That should be respected just as anything else.
I like you and Shep both, so I am not going to really say anything more here.
Be yourself, stick to your guns.
'tisn't easy being a member on this forum at times.:yum::flowers::respect:

All good points, and thanks Lollie. Just want to point out tho that I made it clear that I won't cast aspersions, nor shall I focus on any one individual... this has not been a 'singular occurrence.' :smile:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
That's a long post Lia...any chance i can have it on audio tape to listen to in bed:yum::yum::yum:

:poke:

:flowers:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I totally get what you're saying Lia. Without getting into allot of history, I've had it happen to me in the past too and have seen it happen to other members. The way I see it is that this is a forum, other members have a right to their opinion as I also have a right to mine. I often just choose to stay out of certain heated topics now because I figure there's no changing some people's thought and opinions no matter how hard I try. Life is too short to allow myself to get all worked up about little things.

Ah well, such is life. I live my life day to day and have learned to let the little things not get to me.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Well said, Lia, and I mostly agree. I am here mostly to listen to positions other than mine, and will debate or present my opinion when appropriate sometimes when it isn't. I try to not get into a pissing contest as that does not further my agenda.

On the other hand, I don't take much of what is said personally, and believe that in order to offend, you must offend someone who gives a damn. Generally, I don't.
Ditto what Jimbo said Lia . :wink:

I'll only add from my experience on any internet forum, sadly respect doesn't normally get shown very often, at least most of the forums I have found.:sad:

These days I aint to sure its much different in the real world when in others presence either. Thats a trait that you have to be taught at a very young age , which and in my opinion its been over looked for far to many decades in childrens upbringing. Thats just the way I see it. :wink:

Lia

Banned
That's a long post Lia...any chance i can have it on audio tape to listen to in bed:yum::yum::yum:

:poke:

:flowers:

You're still in bed, at almost 18:00hrs? You lazy tyke!!! Get up! Now!! :yum:

I often just choose to stay out of certain heated topics now because I figure there's no changing some people's thought and opinions no matter how hard I try.

You made some excellent points gg, thanks for posting. :smile:

Just want to comment on the sentence above tho, and say that one shouldn't have to avoid certain issues or threads on a forum where discussion and debate is the order of the day, as it should be. I'm just saying that we're here to communicate, discuss issues, both local and world news, exchange anecdotes, stories, ideas, ideals, opinions. Its a discussion venue...

I don't want to change anyone's mind, or their opinion, necessarily, just to get folk to see more than one side of a coin, sometimes; goodness knows I've certainly changed my opinion, or paused for thought many times over what others have said, after mulling over a debate, sometimes. But, however we fratch, academically, and perhaps heatedly in one thread, shouldn't make that thread off limits to anyone, or the heat follow them around to other threads and posts.

:smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
To hell with all of you!:whistling: That should sum up how I feel about things today!:yum::yum: I would poke with little letters but some old folks have a hard time reading them.:hammer:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
You're still in bed, at almost 18:00hrs? You lazy tyke!!! Get up! Now!! :yum:

You made some excellent points gg, thanks for posting. :smile:

Just want to comment on the sentence above tho, and say that one shouldn't have to avoid certain issues or threads on a forum where discussion and debate is the order of the day, as it should be. I'm just saying that we're here to communicate, discuss issues, both local and world news, exchange anecdotes, stories, ideas, ideals, opinions. Its a discussion venue...

I don't want to change anyone's mind, or their opinion, necessarily, just to get folk to see more than one side of a coin, sometimes; goodness knows I've certainly changed my opinion, or paused for thought many times over what others have said, after mulling over a debate, sometimes. But, however we fratch, academically, and perhaps heatedly in one thread, shouldn't make that thread off limits to anyone, or the heat follow them around to other threads and posts.

:smile:

I don't aspire to change anyone's mind either, but I do enjoy helping them understand more thoroughly why it is that they are wrong.:whistling:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
lol. I'm not too sure that I know what you mean, but am giving you the benefit of the doubt 'cos I luvs ya style. Thank you. :smile:

That's all code for "I'm getting old and can't read the small print".

I'd make fun of him, but I got the same issues :yum:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
All in all, very good thread Lia!

Sums up a lot of stuff, there are a lot of good people here, it's more like an extended family, with a little dysfunctional thrown in here and there!

Lia

Banned
Thanks Cowboy, :) muley (lol), jpr (I simply couldn't imagine you offending anyone), max (welcome to ff btw, it's actually the best site on the net), and Foggy...

You're right Mark, there are indeed a heck of a lot of good people here at ff. I would have to say in all honesty that I don't really dislike anyone here (well, muley and murph maybe need keeping in strict line), :whistling: ...and 'hate' is a word that is neither in my vocabulary or my dictionary. Its just an alien concept to me. We are a big 'net family.' :flowers:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Good to the point post Lia and pretty much sums up a lot of my feelings as another atheist/non believer/what ever the current term is. :wink: I also took a couple of courses in collage on religion as well as having a Pentecostal minister for a grandfather. Never mind the crazy uncle Pat Robertson. :ermm:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
All in all, very good thread Lia!

Sums up a lot of stuff, there are a lot of good people here, it's more like an extended family, with a little dysfunctional thrown in here and there!
:whistling::yum:

Attachments

• fuck off.jpg
    fuck off.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 129

loboloco

Lia, I generally stay away from the 'religion' threads, though I do read them. I hope I am not one of those whom you believe has offended you. As for being an atheist or not, I hold their beliefs, or lack thereof, against no one.

Lia

Banned
Lia, I generally stay away from the 'religion' threads, though I do read them. I hope I am not one of those whom you believe has offended you. As for being an atheist or not, I hold their beliefs, or lack thereof, against no one.

Hand on heart, you have never offended me, ever. :flowers:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I like big fonts because they are easier for me to see. I am not "religious" but I do believe in Jesus as my Lord and savior, get know him he is a great guy. All the best Lia.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
All good points, and thanks Lollie. Just want to point out tho that I made it clear that I won't cast aspersions, nor shall I focus on any one individual... this has not been a 'singular occurrence.' :smile:

Doesn't matter really who agrees with you or who doesn't.
Stick up for your own little corner of the garden, and carry on.
I'd hope anyone does when they post on a forum.
Name calling only happens when we find ourselves pissed to the max, and thankfully, those moments of casting aspersions have come to an end for me.. although I often think them in my mind.:shifty::yum:
haha.. NOT..
All is well with me on the forums right now..
No one bothers me.. if they do.. you'll kinda know it..

Just chill and be you.
That's not just for you, it's for everyone.
Pax vobiscum :flowers:

Lia

Banned
I like big fonts because they are easier for me to see. I am not "religious" but I do believe in Jesus as my Lord and savior, get know him he is a great guy. All the best Lia.

Big fonts??? Steve made a comment about the 'fonts.' Is my font appearing large to you guys? Its looking normal to me, but I'm a bit concerned about it now, lol.

But, in any event Cat, I'm not even gonna go there in this thread, on your mention of Jesus, lol. But just to say thanks for commenting, and thanks for the best wishes. :flowers:

Please guys, tell me you''re all seeing normal font in my posts? :unsure:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Your fonts are fine. You really should wear more clothes though!:whistling:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Lia this is the best way for me to explain the size of your luscious fonts...compare the writing in your post to the writing on your signature and you will get my drift.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 117

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Must be your browsers or style settings that make them different. They display just fine for me.