Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

benz9 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SW-48 Service/Shop manual

MeanJean,
For your manual, I also have the earlier J5/SW-48 1970s parts/service manual in pdf but for the real manual, you can get it for about 10$ from the Bombardier museum. Here is the link:
http://www.fjab.qc.ca/en/content/jab/jab.htm
Just search the site, there is a form to fill out and then cha-ching!
If that don't work, there's always boggie's place:
http://www.mn-outdoors.com/

From what I've heard, your diff and mine are pretty much the same, so TDH (transmission, differential and hydraulic) fluid is a good price solution. T0-4 is around 120$ for a pail, TDH is about a third of that.
Great looking machine, hope it brings you as much fun as mine has for me.
benz
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

meanjean is on a distinguished road

I purchased some "tractor oil" for about $45/gal. pail. Best suited for final gears, steering bands and hyd. oil. We will have to see, in the long run, how it fairs out. Donno what it should be or should do with that oil in the drive, but so far, seems to do what it is supposed to do!!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Hey! Didn't see your reply??? The general manager from Minnesota Outdoor Sports returned my inquiry with a cost and part number for the manual, which I will order probably tomorrow. Seems to be a well run outfit. Anyway, really like my machine. Next is paint and some interior work. I will also be installing a small double wide seat that I pulled out of an Isuzu Amigo truck/SUV, and take out the solo seat of the SW-48 as to be able to ride with one of my kids, or even my wife, if she dares!!!! Maybe a joy stick for the hyd. controls? Who knows? But for now, just taking care of the basics. Thanks for your help!!!! I will update my avatar once the work progresses.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,974 Times in 900 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Be sure to get the "red" ATF out of you final drive/differential. It is hard to tell how many ring and pinion sets were/are being slowly ruined with this too light of oil in the gear box. Been there done that on a Ski dozer....Some one some where had a bad idea.....

Regards, Kirk
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Bronze Member

Actually the red stuff is in the tank for the hydraulics that operate the plow only. I replaced the drive oil with what they call around here "tractor oil" suitable for hydraulic gear drives, band steering, etc. About $45 a 5 gal. pail. The only quirk that I see with the hyd. system is a single sheave pulley running the pump, and it is not very wide of a belt either. The pump's belt squeals a bit when I call for hyd. fluid to raise the plow, so I am probably going to replace it with a new one.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Bronze Member

benz9 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, MeanJean, my pump is direct on the engine crankshaft. I have a 4Ton winch on the back and when it forces, the engine feels it a bit, but never for plow operations. I am not familiar with the pump set up in the SW-48 with a Ford engine, so I can't really help you there, but there must be an easy way to fix that. A picture would be nice. I'm heading out to take one of mine (pump). Good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjean View Post
Actually the red stuff is in the tank for the hydraulics that operate the plow only. I replaced the drive oil with what they call around here "tractor oil" suitable for hydraulic gear drives, band steering, etc. About $45 a 5 gal. pail. The only quirk that I see with the hyd. system is a single sheave pulley running the pump, and it is not very wide of a belt either. The pump's belt squeals a bit when I call for hyd. fluid to raise the plow, so I am probably going to replace it with a new one.
check the angle on your belt shivs a lot of your hydraulic pumps use whats called a fractional drive belt wich is a different angle than an automotive v-belt.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 AM

125a is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only quirk that I see with the hyd. system is a single sheave pulley running the pump, and it is not very wide of a belt either. The pump's belt squeals a bit when I call for hyd. fluid to raise the plow, so I am probably going to replace it with a new one.
Some units had a direct drive, others had a belt drive. Some may even have both?

The single sheave pump, which amounts to a common power steering pump, is more than up to the task of running the blade. The control valve pressure relief makes a distinctive 'squealing' sound when it unloads. If, after you replace and properly tension the belt, the sound persists under load, this may be what you are hearing.

My machine is a bit older than yours though, so I may be typing nonsense.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

You guys are very helpful! I did put a little more tension on the pump, and I did agree that the V belt is all together different that normal automotive belts, so I will most likely buy a new one before the snow flies! One thing that I find interesting: when the engine is idling, there is barely any squealing, but one I rev up the engine, that is when the noise is heard. Most likely the culprit is where the oil has not reached operating temperature.

But, I did locate a rare find for my machine: a complete running chassis for the exact same year as mine! Complete with drive cogs, all wheels, tracks, front drive clutches which I am told are new, etc. All that is missing is the cap, engine and tranny! Done deal as far as I am concerned. I will be picking it up next week! Cool!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM

RhodeHazard is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 1968 Bombardier SW48 and am looking for a service and or parts manual. I am also looking for a good parts source as I need to work on the ignition.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

I have a pretty good source for parts; they are:

Cyncon Equipment Inc.
7494 W. Henrietta Road
Rush, NY, 14543
Tel: 1.800.429.6266
http://www.cyncon.com/

or these guys have most everything you may need:

Minnesota Outdoors
Address 12377 county road 2
Brainerd, Mn. 56401
Phone: 218-828-7876
http://www.mn-outdoors.com/index.html

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Thank you, I will give them a shot.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Here is an older image... she sat for a few years before I was able to buy her back.
Attached Images