• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just went out to the mailbox.
20200330_132541-768x768.jpg

20200330_132622-768x768.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Another shoe dropped, Grocery and Amazon workers are walking off the job siting safety concerns. Stay stocked up.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Another shoe dropped, Grocery and Amazon workers are walking off the job siting safety concerns. Stay stocked up.

I placed a curb side order today with the local General Store in town. I know the owner. She delivered me groceries outside on the porch. I asked her how it was going. Busy as hell. She told me she installed plexiglas sneeze barriers at the registers and no longer accepts cash or check. CC only. They have no bar code scanners. One must hold each item up and the cashier will read it through the plexiglass and ring it up. All the help are wearing gloves and masks. Sounds to me she is doing all she can do to protect the help. Two years ago she was in college, when her father suddenly passed away and she inherited the whole thing. College on hold.

Sounds to me Amazon and these supermarket chains need to step up their game a bit.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always check a cam that shows the container ships entering seattle and i'm noticing a huge drop in them arriving. the export grain bulk carrier ships are still going strong.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always check a cam that shows the container ships entering seattle and i'm noticing a huge drop in them arriving. the export grain bulk carrier ships are still going strong.

Yup.

I posted in January that China's economy was shutting down due to this.

Early February I posted stories saying there would be product shortages on store shelves in the USA in late March and early April.

These were all sourced from the ZeroHedge website initially and later followed up by other financial media sources. A lot of people don't trust ZeroHedge, and I'll admit that they sometimes go pretty far out on a limb, but they are accurate with much of their analysis and time typically proves them correct, especially when they talk about production numbers, and output data.

Corona came to my attention shortly after Christmas when it was reported that production in China had effectively collapsed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got 3 confirmed cases here. Two of them, in their 60s, just got home from Florida two weeks ago. The third is a 23 yr old who was just down in the states.

Everyone is doing the handwashing and mask thing. We've been at home for days. I go to the mail at the general store down the street every few days. They carry basic groceries so when I'm there I can get what I need. They have a handwashing station. They have the shields protecting the workers. I wear rubber gloves. Otherwise we just stay home.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
social distancing :hammer:

Dr. Deborah Birx: Could Be Up to 200,000 Deaths ‘if We Do Things Almost Perfectly’

White House coronavirus task force coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx on Monday provided a bleak outlook as the coronavirus pandemic rages on, predicting that if everything to combat the virus is done “almost perfectly, there could be up to 200,000 deaths in the country.

Birx agreed with Dr. Anthony Fauci’s belief that if nothing is done to combat the virus’ spread, there could be up to 2.2 million deaths and said she is “very worried about every city in the United States,” but said the between 100,000-200,000 mark would be the best case scenario.

“I think everyone understands now that you can go from five to 50 to 500 to 5,000 cases very quickly,” Birx told NBC “Today” anchor Savannah Guthrie.

“We’ve looked at the Italy data with their self-isolation, and that’s where we come up with if we do things together well, almost perfectly, we could get in the range of 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities.

And compared to the season flu => https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/

... the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season...

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I've come to the conclusion you're going to find lots of differing reports on this. It all depends on the source.
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly. So much info out there on it. Some true. Some partly true. And some just plain bs. So it ends up being like everything else. Look at all the stories and decide for yourself what's true and what's not. For us, we're just airing on the side of caution. In the end, we can only be so cautious.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Where I go to buy my gasoline (Circle K) have signs up on the doors for social distancing about staying 6ft apart.
Also the cashiers are now standing behind plexiglass.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTTbLA3AZY[/ame]

Stanford Univ. researchers say evidence shows U.S. will recover from COVID-19 faster than expected

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The government has just issued a fire ban up here to prevent people from gathering around campfires for the foreseeable future.

And with all the people returning early from their winter campgrounds in the states, our government has closed all campgrounds in Ontario. A lot of the people returning in their RVs do not have a home to go to. Now for the next few months, they are reduced to living in Walmart parking lots. We're still sitting with a foot and a half of snow. No campfires. No campgrounds open. Everyone returning in their rv now have to sit in a parking lot with no running water burning propane to keep warm when it dips below freezing at night.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Makes you wonder if it is truly for health reasons or just exerting power unnecessarily.
Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And now Dr Fauci is saying that people should wear masks in public. Even just the cloth masks. His logic is that if infected people walking around cough they spread disease. Wearing a cloth mask catches the droplets and keeps people from spreading the infection.

Of course one must presume that people actually wash those masks from time to time???

My brother told me that the N95 masks have a life span of 8 hours ... but that presumes you wear it 8 hours in a row. He said that humidity is the big problem as they are largely made of fibers, an 8 hour shift tends to break down the fibers. At the hospital, where he is a purchasing agent, they can actually be dried out, sanitized and re-used. He said they can be used for several days each if properly dried out. He suggested having several, using one, hanging it to dry, then next day use a different one, the 3rd day use yet another mask. Then on day 4 go back to mask #1.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Makes you wonder if it is truly for health reasons or just exerting power unnecessarily.
Mike
That was quick. I guess all the news sources up here jumped the gun on the fire ban. They've already taken the article down. But it wouldn't surprise me if they tried that. There's already speculation that private campgrounds won't be able to run as the province just announced the closure of all provincial parks. If that happens, I can have our camper out of there in twenty minutes. Others at our park aren't so lucky as their campers are blocked in.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We got a phone call this afternoon telling us that Wood County, Texas, our County, just had it's first reported case.

And here is why I am really skeptical of all these so called experts. If it is a good idea now to wear a N95 mask, why the hell wasn't it a good idea 2 or 3 weeks ago when they were telling us that a facemask was ineffective unless you were the one that was sick. It would stop outgoing splutter but wouldn't stop airborne viruses on the outside from coming in.

Rereading Bob's post, I may have misunderstood what was said. I need to go check. That is good information though on recycling the fiber type masks. I did wonder about it as the virus is only supposed to be active for about 3 days on soft fabric but who the hell knows?

I keep on hoping that I wake up tomorrow and someone yells, "April Fool! You've been pranked". Somehow I doubt it.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We got a phone call this afternoon telling us that Wood County, Texas, our County, just had it's first reported case.

And here is why I am really skeptical of all these so called experts. If it is a good idea now to wear a N95 mask, why the hell wasn't it a good idea 2 or 3 weeks ago when they were telling us that a facemask was ineffective unless you were the one that was sick. It would stop outgoing splutter but wouldn't stop airborne viruses on the outside from coming in.

Rereading Bob's post, I may have misunderstood what was said. I need to go check. That is good information though on recycling the fiber type masks. I did wonder about it as the virus is only supposed to be active for about 3 days on soft fabric but who the hell knows?

I keep on hoping that I wake up tomorrow and someone yells, "April Fool! You've been pranked". Somehow I doubt it.

Think a bit farther back, FIRST they said the masks should be reserved for trained professional health care workers. THEN later they said only if you were sick. Now Dr Fausi admits what W.H.O. and many other nations have been recommending all along, wear a damn mask in public if it is availble.

In all fairness to Dr Fauci, he seems to have been consistent and still remains so, he said healthcare workers should have top priority for N95 masks. But he now seems to be advising that all people wear some sort of mask, he was less concerned if it was an N95 or not. Just a mask. Anything is better than nothing.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Think a bit farther back, FIRST they said the masks should be reserved for trained professional health care workers. THEN later they said only if you were sick. Now Dr Fausi admits what W.H.O. and many other nations have been recommending all along, wear a damn mask in public if it is availble.

In all fairness to Dr Fauci, he seems to have been consistent and still remains so, he said healthcare workers should have top priority for N95 masks. But he now seems to be advising that all people wear some sort of mask, he was less concerned if it was an N95 or not. Just a mask. Anything is better than nothing.

I think they were saying that to stop people from Hoarding them as there was a short supply for the medical professionals. But even using that logic they were just making more work for the medical professionals. Hind sight is always 20/20. What should have been recommended was people making improvised masks for the purpose of not spreading it and leave the m95 masks for the medical professional so they are not sick when they have to save your life.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think they were saying that to stop people from Hoarding them as there was a short supply for the medical professionals. But even using that logic they were just making more work for the medical professionals. Hind sight is always 20/20. What should have been recommended was people making improvised masks for the purpose of not spreading it and leave the m95 masks for the medical professional so they are not sick when they have to save your life.

Let me sum up what you wrote. THEY DELIBERATELY LIED :hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to Walmart today - they had corned beef hash and toilet paper.
For the first time ever I went to walmart web site last night to do a click it order. No available pick up times. they suggesting there would be some in the morning. So I checked and this morning I could sign up for a 4 to 5pm pick up time for tomorrow. Pick up times must be filling up fast.

So then I added to the order ...and added to the order, and added to teh order. Each time I added it was another transaction for my debit card. Bank suspected fraud and called to verify that I had done the transactions. 30 minutes on hold but got the hold on my card finally lifted. Most items were a limit of 2. No problem with that. Didn't try to get toilet paper but tried to get hand sanitizer Nope, sold out. Now will see how things go for pick up time tomorrow.