• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just hanging out today minding my own business and the power just went out, Im operating off of my phone now, if its still off after I eat I guess I will get the generator hooked up, and to top it off its cold and raining.:smileywac

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the wind was gusting to 25mph so spraying was out of the question.

I decided to go down to the barn and grease all the tractors and mowers before I put them to hard use. The little tractor had a flat. Spent forever getting that fixed. The big tractor tires were low so I blew them up. With one thing and another that took all afternoon. That's two days in a row that one of my 15 minute jobs has taken all day to do.

Do any of you have the same problem where 10 minutes of work takes the whole day to achieve?

Soon I'll actually get to get some work done around here.

Yep. Back when I was poor I had so few tools, I made do with what I had

Now I have all these special tools and for a 15 minute project, spend an hour looking for the tool that supposedly will save time.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Now I have all these special tools and for a 15 minute project, spend an hour looking for the tool that supposedly will save time.

Franc, I love it. You summed up my life in a sentence.

Today I went outside about 9:00. The rain started at 9:15 and carried on, thunder and all, until about 3:30 this afternoon. Another day wasted but it was a beautiful evening.

Tomorrow is still going to be too wet to do what I want done so we'll see what Monday brings.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

My life in a nutshell. When we bought our first house back in the 70's we would squeeze a nickel so hard we would make the buffalo fart.

I bought an old, cheap tilt table, table saw at a flea market for 10 bucks. Anyone who has ever used a tilt table saw will know what a special brand of misery that is. But you know what, I did a lot of work with that and was thankful I had it.

When I was finally able to step up to a nice modern DeWalt I was in seventh heaven. :th_lmao:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're on the edge of a big storm cell right now coming up from minnesota. It's really windy but supposed to be a mixture of rain and snow throughout the day. I can feel it in my bones. So I won't be doing much. Maybe watch the livestream of the iracing nascar race this afternoon. Yeah, it's a video game but it beats watching reruns of other shows on tv.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's a pretty nice day after the rain yesterday. It's supposed to be in the low 70s after the mid 80s we had before the front came through.

I'm still in my sweats so it's not shaping up to be a busy day. I may go wash cars because it's pine pollen time in East Texas and everything is covered in yellow dust. I may go trim a hedge or something or I may just take the day off. Who knows.

This is day 14 of isolation and we're both still healthy apart from allergies. Let's see if we can keep it like that.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Day 17 of our House Arrest.

Raining, windy and raw outside, so.....I ground up 2 pounds of hamburg and 2 pounds of pork for the filling for 2 meat pies. Filling needs to be made a day ahead. So, tomorrow we eat one meat pie and freeze the other.

Thinking of watching a movie this afternoon if I can stay awake. LOL.

Life is good. Stay healthy everyone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the day tearing down a Handy Stone retaining wall I built some thirty years ago. Part of it had settled about three inches. It was a section that the power company tore out and replaced when Lightning struck their power cable in my yard. I remember them thanking me for building a brick wall instead of a concrete one. Saying they would have blasted the concrete one and charged me.

Well, over the years their section sank. So today I began taking apart 16 feet of a five foot high Handy stone wall. Handy stone is an8" X8" X 4" interlocking concrete block, they no longer make but I love it for retaining wall. Probably have 4,000 of them in my back yard Hardscapes. At about a buck a piece they were a great value.

Anyways, the power company did rebuild the wall but they used premix concrete for the foundation and did not pound the gravel base. So it sank. What a b!tch to unravel so I could get it done level and right.
I literally had to use a 16 Lb sledge to break it all up.

Tomorrow, I will pound and level 1' minus and get it right,. Then re lay all the stones and then set the new fence on top. I know tomorrow is Monday, a workday, but since Friday I have been running a fever, 100 F, so I cannot go in to work. I believe it is one of my meds causing the fever but, we just cannot take the chance.

More on Monday.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Crappy weather day. Thankfully we didn't get the snow but it did rain all day so the snow took a beating.

Can someone please tell my kids grandmother to come and get them? They're driving me crazy. They haven't been anywhere in 2 weeks and are going stir crazy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our garbage pick up day is Tuesday. I have been looking forward to going outside this evening to do take out the trash bins. Hardest part will be deciding what to wear. Formal pajamas? Informal pajamas? Or do I actually put on pants? Normally during a global pandemic I only wear pants 1 day a week because I don't want to be confused as an over-achiever, but its garbage day and that might actually make for a good day to celebrate normalcy and partially dress. What is great about this is that tomorrow I get to go back outside and bring the bins back to the house. Outside 2 days in a row!

BTW, some corned beef hash with 2 over easy eggs for breakfast and a couple double shots of fresh brewed espresso.

Now to watch the morning news anchors report the news of the outside world, from remote makeshift 'studios' inside their homes!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Our garbage pick up day is Tuesday. I have been looking forward to going outside this evening to do take out the trash bins. Hardest part will be deciding what to wear. Formal pajamas? Informal pajamas? Or do I actually put on pants? Normally during a global pandemic I only wear pants 1 day a week because I don't want to be confused as an over-achiever, but its garbage day and that might actually make for a good day to celebrate normalcy and partially dress. What is great about this is that tomorrow I get to go back outside and bring the bins back to the house. Outside 2 days in a row!

BTW, some corned beef hash with 2 over easy eggs for breakfast and a couple double shots of fresh brewed espresso.

Now to watch the morning news anchors report the news of the outside world, from remote makeshift 'studios' inside their homes!

My Hormel hash is on its way, but a few weeks away. Reviewing the order on Amazon I noticed my bride ordered 2 cases of V8 juice last night after I went to bed. Smart move. I love the stuff but tend to stay away because of the salt content but my BP is on its way down due to my weight loss (20 pounds now :smile: ) and I am off one of the meds entirely now. :thumbup:

Some friends emailed us this morning that Senior Citizen Hour as the supermarket was deserted and the store well stocked except for TP. They were out of the store in 24 minutes so they could not have been buying much. They are the ones that do not prep or stock and only buy for the week ahead. Foolish if you ask me.

Stay healthy and keep a good attitude. Life is good.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Worked until 2am, slept until 9 this morning.
Things are a-ok here.
Hopefully it stays that way.
Going to enjoy puttering around today.
:smile:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I thought that I might achieve something today but it's not to be. Heavy early morning rain put an end to that and it looks as more is coming.

I don't know what I'll end up doing but I have to find something.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got out for a bit and raked some of the weeds off the garden beds. It was in the low 40's and the sun was still too low to get much warmth, but I was ordered out of the house by Melen because she needed quiet to do some on-line coursework for school.

Getting the garden beds ready to get the tiller in there. Still too wet. We have not had a garden for 2 years because we had done so much traveling in the summers so the beds were over-grown but still generally in tact. Just have to use a bit of elbow grease to get them back into planting shape.

A tree fell into the garden over the winter, ground is too wet to get the tractor down to pull it out. It's laying over a couple paths and a couple of the smaller planting beds. Removing it is a low priority because I probably won't be getting those beds planted at all.

We are not planning to plant the entire garden, mainly the onions, tomatoes and peppers. Those are our favorites. So I'm going to need 3, maybe 4 of the 10 beds we have down there.

I was able to order started pepper and tomato plants, they should be delivered next week so that is a bonus. We tend to fail at seed starting. We switched to plant buying for most of our gardening several years ago and that works better for us. That said, I'm not going to the garden center to buy plants, just don't want to take the risk.

Onion sets were also acquired.

I want to try growing sweet potatoes, found starters on-line and those will be delivered. Never tried any potatoes because we have thin soil over clay. I'm going to have to build a mound? Or a special deep bed? Not really sure. I guess I'll figure it out?

Her next class is starting soon so I will be going back out to the garden to do a bit more work. I find that with my arthritis, working for an hour, taking a rest, working again, etc etc etc tends to be best for me. Trying to work long durations without resting usually ends up making me miserable for 2 or 3 days.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I want to try growing sweet potatoes, found starters on-line and those will be delivered. Never tried any potatoes because we have thin soil over clay. I'm going to have to build a mound? Or a special deep bed? Not really sure. I guess I'll figure it out?
Not sure about sweet potatoes but a deep bed or mounding is required for regular potatoes. I don't do potatoes or peas. For the effort it's not worth it (to me) considering how little they cost at the store.

Ground is very wet here. Rolled the lawn yesterday.

It's only 1PM so I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do today. Should have a plan by 3PM.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Got an hour workout in this morning then headed out to the garage to work on a project I had put on the back burner for a few months.

We have each kids school picture in an 8x10 frame on top the tv stand but they keep falling over. So I built some wooden stands to hold each one so they don't fall anymore. I did make a 6th frame as right now we're in limbo. We've had an 8 yr old girl staying with us for 2 weeks and have been asked to foster her longterm as she'll be in the foster system until she's 18. When her permanent placement with us is official and we can get an 8x10 picture of her, it can go up beside the other kids so she feels like part of the family.

211ce1a58cca8b20f2b465897b19a561.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Put my meat pie together and in the oven. Looking forward to that.

Picked up a small curb side order today. That is about it.

Going to finish the movie Hunter Killer. A submarine movie that I started last night but could not finish.

Another day in paradise. Keep the Faith. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been 18 days since I have been to town although it's only day 15 of our official isolation and it's the first time I've actually felt a little bit antsy. I think that it was the rain pouring down all day. We had some pretty serious thunderstorms passing through this afternoon.

I did go out and break down some cardboard boxes to get them in the trash since we can't recycle them any more. All our plastic is going in to the trash as well now. I did clean out and replace the kitty litter in the cat's box. Who would have ever thought that would be a highlight of my day. Lastly, I took a nap this afternoon. Pretty boring day.

I don't see too much being done tomorrow either. Everything is waterlogged again. My wife says she may make a run in to town on Wednesday to get some groceries. My S-I-L was there today and said the place was deserted. I may ask her to stop by Cowburners for curb side delivery of their wings to bring home. I haven't had my fix in almost 3 weeks.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Stayed home and worked on the retaining wall. About half done by 5:00 and called it quits.

No fever since I stopped taking the medicine. However, the plant ran fine without me today so they can go on without me again tomorrow. I'll finish the wall and get some tree trimming done.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Working 10-10 today.
The only good thing about the coronavirus is that we're not accepting admissions.
Less paperwork makes for a happy Lollie.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
High of 43 degrees, some wind, overcast ...

Might be a pajama day today? We will see if I can get myself down to the garden to work a bit more on the beds. Got quite a bit of progress made yesterday. The lovely Mrs_Bob helped, and her sister, who lives in the guest apartment, also offered a hand. More was accomplished than I had planned to get done so that is good. Given that the weather is supposed to turn better tomorrow and there was so much done yesterday, maybe today will be a day of rest?

The local county seat just announced that it is cancelling their 4th of July parade, fireworks, festival. Hmmm... It's probably the biggest party in the county? :smileywac

Working 10-10 today.
The only good thing about the coronavirus is that we're not accepting admissions.
Less paperwork makes for a happy Lollie.

Finding the silver lining :laugh3:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Always the silver lining.
Remember the old song for the garment workers, Look For The Union Label?
My song is Look For The Silverrrr Lininggggg..
:tongue: ?
Because there always is one.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 819D9F4F-06B1-4FC6-9AB0-EF5FC32C62B5.jpg
    819D9F4F-06B1-4FC6-9AB0-EF5FC32C62B5.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 71
  • F56757DD-27B3-4337-BA10-1097B52B39F6.jpeg
    F56757DD-27B3-4337-BA10-1097B52B39F6.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Day 19 of House Arrest.

Sunny, mid 40's which means we go for a walk today.

Weekly Post Office visit today. I have a part for the Clothes Dryer coming in, but I think I fixed the old part so this new one will become a spare.

Other than that, not much.

Stay positive, stay safe and Keep the Faith.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't do much today, about thinly thing productive was priming a shit load of brass I cleaned yesterday from all the shooting we have been doing lately.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Finished the retaining wall repair.

UI spent the balance of the afternoon cleaning up twigs and branches and burned them in the fire pit along with all the old fence boards.
Tomorrow I frame the base 4X4's for the foot of the new fence on the top of the wall. five foot four inches of cedar with white lattice on top. 33 eight foot sections.

It all shipped to arrive 1/18/20. I'll install it one side of the yard at a time. South side gets 9 sections.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
About the only productive thing I did was clean up part of the dog kennel that's clear of snow. It's melting quickly.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
About the only productive thing I did was clean up part of the dog kennel that's clear of snow. It's melting quickly.

You're a bit like me. I drove down to the front gate to replace a light bulb that had burned out. Basically, that's it. No more, no less. That's about it. It was hardly worth putting on work clothes for.

Status
Not open for further replies.