• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Akita dog got pneumonia from crop dust?!?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put this in the Rural Living area, rather than the Pet area, largely because it is a condition that is apparently caused by crop dust from harvesting and is not common in the city/suburbs.

The real farmer (I am not one of those) who harvested the soybean field that borders my property raised up all sorts of dust. That is common during the harvesting of soybeans. He harvested the field a few days ago.

Last night Misha our aging Akita, who is taking prednisone (an immuo-suppresant drug) started coughing during the night. Took her to the vet this morning and I was more worried that she had something caught in her throat than anything else. They kept her for the morning to run tests and did some x-rays, etc. Turns out that she has pneumonia. As she is an old dog (11.5 years in a breed that often only lives about 10-12 years) she spends most of her days resting inside. This a dog who used to love being outside, now goes out, does her business, and comes back inside without prompting. So we couldn't figure out how she could have gotten pneumonia.

Turns out that crop dust is a major cause of the condition. There are other causes, but none of them seem to make sense. So we, and the vet, high suspect that crop dust from the soybeans may have caused this.

So, if you live out in the farmland areas, and have a older dog, it might be something to watch out for, or simply be aware of.

Prognosis for Misha's recovery is very good.

Just posting this FYI.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't have expected pneumonia but be it hay or beans, there is a lot of dust in the air. Too much of that on any set of lungs is bad.

Our local bean crops were harvested this past week but I hadn't noticed any dust (it helps being upwind from the closest fields).

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No such things around here. The only thing we have is cutting grass for hay. Not that it makes much difference, this being Texas the pollen count for all the bad stuff is high for 9 months a year and just about everybody suffers from allergies. That would include one of our dogs who is on allergy pills and vitamins and she's only five.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Misha had a pretty miserable night last night. I got up at 04:30 with her and gave her another antibiotic, figured it wouldn't hurt to give it to her a few hours early. She can't get much rest becuase of the coughing. My wife thinks she is doing better. I think she is doing worse.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Misha had a pretty miserable night last night. I got up at 04:30 with her and gave her another antibiotic, figured it wouldn't hurt to give it to her a few hours early. She can't get much rest becuase of the coughing. My wife thinks she is doing better. I think she is doing worse.

Wishing Misha a speady recovery....and for you....happy wife =happy life....

Please memorise......YES DEAR.......:brows::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely doing better this evening. A noticable improvement with much less coughing!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear this bit of news...

As a farmer with a soybean field surrounding my home, and two dogs, I am unaware of this. I have not had the issue at all... yet. Good to know.

During harvest time the dogs spend alot of unatended time in my shop, but it is a very tight inslulated building. Not much dust get to them in there.

As a side note my Huskey found and flushed a hen pheasant while pheasant hunting this AM. I think he is getting the idea of what we are doing out there very fast...

He did how ever take some real coaxing to give me one of the birds I shot. After a few minutes of me talking to him, he dropped it, and came to me tail down. After some encouragement on my part, he picked up and finished the hunt. He learns so much from my German shorthair it isn't funny. They do learn from other dogs, definately.

Regards, Kirk