• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Build your own 'cat

Eric L

Site Supporter
Long before I owned my Tucker I had seriously considered building my own snowcat. I'm very capable in the fabrication and mechanical areas, but limited in funding. thought some kinda automotive based rig could be affordable, capable and fun.

The fact that the older Tuckers are largely automotive based was my reason for wanting that brand, as well as bing kinda "old school".

lets discuss this...

Engines and trans should be no problem, and the cab/body could be whatever suits ones particular needs/wants. may even use an existing vehicle, i.e. Jeep or mini truck.

a two track would seem the easiest setup. but this is also the area that would require the most $ and thought. I think the tracks could be fabricated using formed heavy guage sheet metal and conveyor belting..I dont think the cost would be too crazy here. bogey axles and wheels could be common stuff too. my main concern would be the drive "axle". Tracks could be a PITA to make yourself, whats a new set of tracks cost these days? yeah I know, I could call Tucker or Camoplast and ask...

I noticed A. Parsons' Kitten looks to have a standard auto. based (Like all Tuckers) axle with "steering" brakes on it. is that a variation of the original setup? If an "open" diff is used, when the brakes are applied to one side only, the opposite side will turn something like twice as fast as normal assuming the brake is fully stopping the one side. is this how a Kitten works?:confused2: how long would the brakes last?

How about a tractor based (like a Thiokol) axle? availability? durability? weight? cost?

Drive sprockets... Need somthing common that would bolt to whatever axle is used. automotive axles can be re-machined or custom made to whatever you want, but something that bolts up to a common bolt pattern would be best. any insight to bolt patterns on common application sprockets?

I remember when the Mattracks came out I thought I wanted them and thought they'd really be the cool setup, but theyre pricey too. I'v seen some home made units like them, but have been unimpressed overall.

Eric L.

Thanks.

:snow_smi:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I've seen a couple of variations on this.

Pickup cab and frame. OEM driveline through rear end. 3 or 4 trailer axles in middle and front. OEM braking served independantly for steering with an additional "driveline brake" for full stopping.

Tracks: Several variations. One had 1/2" (?) plate steel making "grouser" bars which were attached to one another by links of chain welded on to form an endless track (also used on skid steers). "Tread" was added to the grousers with beads of weld, both inside and out. This setup was narrow and wouldn't allow alot of flotation in deep poweder (if any!) but it would pull like a bulldozer.

The other I've seen had some sort of industrial-surplus conveyer belting with steel grousers. I never got a closer look at the tracks. The chassis looked to be very similar.

Eric L

Site Supporter
Yeah, I found these awhile ago and it'd be real easy to make, but as stated flotatin would be lacking.

from here. http://www.eelriversteel.com/

Attachments

• A_24.jpg
    A_24.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 851

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
There ya' go. That's the picture I was searching for.

The rig in question also had longer pieces every othere grouser which added "flotation" but, probably not much.

The front and rear most tires on the home-made rig were wider off road type tires, probably like a 33 x 12.5.

jzue1

Hello All, EXCELLANT post... Was just out front looking at my 84 K-5 Blazer with a diesel and wondering if it could be converted. Would have to space the wheels out to accommadate atleast 32 inch tracks. Sure am hoping that this thread goes on and on cuz I'm really interested in trying it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wouldn't it be easier to add a set a Mattrax to a truck than to completely engineer a whole vehicle?

http://www.mattracks.com/

Now if you are just looking to do a project for the fun of building something then the Mattracks are not the answer, and these things are very expensive so home-grown solutions are probably a better alternative if budgets are an issue. And if you need more flotation than these offer then you are back to doing it on your own. But for a simple solution, these might be able to fit the needs of many people?

CPV_Isuzu_4web.jpg
CPV_Isuzu_2web.jpg

jzue1

There is a set on ebay right now... but new ones will run you $30,000.00, wife said **** no.
Jeff

dseymour

:applause: When we all think of different ways to build a sno cat today, just think what Emmitt Tucker must have thought over 60 years ago to design a Tucker Sno Cat with the resources back then. It makes me appreciate all the work he put into his life long desire to travel over the snow.:applause: :tiphat:

Attachments

• emmitt.jpg
    emmitt.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 807
Last edited:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I gave it some serious thought earlier this summer.

I could buy this machine very reasonable. Pic 1. It's a Hagie sprayer. It has the same V4 as a Thiokol Imp with the hydraulic pump bolted right to the back of the motor. Pic 2
All the wheels are hydraulicly driven. Pic 3

Finnally decided that it was too much work to take the Hagie all apart and build something with a little less ground clearance..... Also had no idea how much torque the wheel motors were capable of and then theres the expense and labor of building a track...

But I really enjoy thinking about it :D

Attachments

• pixhagieW.jpg
    pixhagieW.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 811
  • pixhagiepumpW.jpg
    pixhagiepumpW.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 791
  • pixhagiewheelsW.jpg
    pixhagiewheelsW.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 781
Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
pixie said:
All the wheels are hydraulicly driven. Pic 3
I have a hydraulicly driven slope mowing tractor and I tested a few different brands before buying. I can tell you that there are a lot of hydraulic motors that don't have much torque to them and I would just guess that you'd need a high torque drive motor to power the tracks. I saw a big difference on my slopes where some of the machines just didn't have the torque to drive the wheels on the steep spots.

Eric L

Site Supporter
Anyone got one of these in their yard? whats the bolt pattern on the drive sprocket? looks like a standard 8 lug (8 on 6.5)

Eric L

Attachments

• sno-cat-18.jpg
    sno-cat-18.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 788

Eric L

Site Supporter
Eric L said:
Anyone got one of these in their yard? whats the bolt pattern on the drive sprocket? looks like a standard 8 lug (8 on 6.5)

Eric L

heres one on a Thiokol same question.

and an odd homebuilt that showed up on ebay this past spring.

Attachments

• 10_12.jpg
    10_12.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 773
  • 4f_12.jpg
    4f_12.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 749

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like an OC4 with a different rear cover plate. Just my WAG guess...
13_12_s.jpg

OC4 Used in a Thiokol Imp
C4.jpg

This Jeep (Snow Ball) looks like the one that Safety One had a couple of years ago for sale on Ebay.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't the OC4 considered to be a fairly weak rear end and the OC12 a better unit? Or did I get them reversed?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Isn't the OC4 considered to be a fairly weak rear end and the OC12 a better unit? Or did I get them reversed?

I don't think it is necesarily a weak rear end. It is used in smaller snow less powerful snow cats and works quite well. The 1404 Imp uses the OC4 and it works out great in that application. Common sense says bigger heavier snow cats do better with a bigger heavier duty rear end like an OC12.

Parts for the OC4 are getting harder to find according to many people. I can not say one way or another as all of my OC4 rear ends have been in great shape and not needed repairs.

Compare the OC12 to the OC4 in the pics
OC12.jpgC4.jpg

wldwun

Eric L said:

Eric L

I have this exact setup, plus extra drive rims in the shed, if you want I can measure the bolt cirlce when I am home this weekend

Rick

samwe

Add me to the "Wants to build his own" club.
I just need to find a cost effective way to build grousers.
The rest I think I can do pretty easy.

Eric L

Site Supporter
I found replacement rubber tracks for a M29 Weasel

http://www.jeeparts.nl/Onderdelen/Tank_onderdelen/weasel_tracks.htm

might be an option for a homebuilt cat...I dont have any extra $$ right now so I didn't contact re: pricing.

probly could come up with a Weasel drive/bogies fairly easily.

Edit: I looked a little closer and it looks like the kit comes with alot of the stuff
Edit again: looks like $5,411.19 USD plus tax and shipping I assume, and the kit comes with a bunch o' stuff including rollers and sprockets... doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Attachments

• weasel_tracks1_023.jpg
    weasel_tracks1_023.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 261
Last edited: